Hypromellose 2208 (3 MPa.s)
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 11, 2018.
What is it?
Hypromellose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose (HPMC) is a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.
As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules. Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient. It has a high viscosity and is often used in ophthalmic preparations as artificial tears for dry eyes. In the US, it is available over-the-counter (OTC) in such products as Isopto Tears and Nature’s Tears.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Darifenacin Hydrobromide Extended-Release 15 mg
- Darifenacin Hydrobromide Extended-Release 7.5 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 5 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 20 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 25 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 30 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 40 mg
- Galantamine Hydrobromide Extended Release 16 mg
- Galantamine Hydrobromide Extended Release 24 mg
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Lessina ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg / levonorgestrel 0.1 mg
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release (LA) 20 mg
- Omeprazole Magnesium Delayed-Release 20 mg (base)
- Rivelsa ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg / levonorgestrel 0.15 mg
- Tri-sprintec ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norgestimate 0.18 mg
- Warfarin Sodium 2 mg
- Warfarin Sodium 7.5 mg
- Warfarin Sodium 10 mg
- Warfarin Sodium 2.5 mg