Hypromellose 2208 (15000 MPa.s)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 2, 2023.
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Hypromellose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose (HPMC) is a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.
As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules. Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient. It has a high viscosity and is often used in ophthalmic preparations as artificial tears for dry eyes. In the US, it is available over-the-counter (OTC) in such products as Isopto Tears and Nature’s Tears.
List of medications using Hypromellose 2208 (15000 MPa.s)
- Clonidine Hydrochloride Extended Release 0.1 mg
- Clonidine Hydrochloride Extended-Release 0.1 mg
- Digoxin 125 mcg (0.125 mg)
- Digoxin 250 mcg (0.25 mg)
- Intuniv 2 mg
- Intuniv 1 mg
- Intuniv 3 mg
- Lodine 400 mg
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 10 mg
- Morphine Sulfate Extended-Release 60 mg
- Morphine Sulfate Extended-Release 100 mg
- Morphine Sulfate Extended-Release 15 mg
- Morphine Sulfate Extended-Release 30 mg
- Pristiq 50 mg
- Pristiq 100 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 400 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 150 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 300 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 50 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 200 mg
- Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
- Innovate Us. What is Hypromellose? http://www.innovateus.net/health/what-hypromellose. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.