Hypromellose 2208 (100000 MPa.s)
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Hypromellose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose (HPMC) is a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.
As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules. Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient. It has a high viscosity and is often used in ophthalmic preparations as artificial tears for dry eyes. In the US, it is available over-the-counter (OTC) in such products as Isopto Tears and Nature’s Tears.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Top Medications with this excipient
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended Release 5 mg (Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals)
- Janumet XR metformin extended-release 1000 mg and sitagliptin 50 mg (Merck & Co., Inc.)
- Janumet XR metformin extended-release 500 mg and sitagliptin 50 mg (Merck & Co., Inc.)
- Janumet XR metformin extended-release 1000 mg and sitagliptin 100 mg (Merck & Co., Inc.)
- Metformin Hydrochloride Extended Release 500 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Metformin Hydrochloride Extended Release 750 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release 500 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release 750 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Theophylline Extended-Release 200 mg (Pliva Inc.)
- Theophylline Extended-Release 300 mg (Pliva Inc.)
- Theophylline Extended-Release 100 mg (Sidmak)