Hypromellose 2208 (100000 MPa.s)
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on June 12, 2020.
What is it?
Hypromellose, also commonly known as hydroxypropyl methycellulose (HPMC) is a coating agent and film-former used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has also been used as a rate-controlling polymer for sustained-release dose forms.
As a powder, hypromellose is off-white to beige and may be in granules. Hypromellose is considered an inert ingredient. It has a high viscosity and is often used in ophthalmic preparations as artificial tears for dry eyes. In the US, it is available over-the-counter (OTC) in such products as Isopto Tears and Nature’s Tears.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Alfuzosin Hydrochloride Extended-Release 10 mg
- Clonidine Hydrochloride Extended-Release 0.1 mg
- Desvenlafaxine Extended-Release 100 mg
- Duavee bazedoxifene 20 mg / conjugated estrogens 0.45 mg
- Fexofenadine Hydrochloride and Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride Extended-Release 60 mg / 120 mg
- Janumet XR metformin extended-release 1000 mg and sitagliptin 100 mg
- Khedezla 100 mg
- Khedezla 50 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release 500 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release 1000 mg
- Niacin Extended-Release 750 mg
- Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 7.5 mg
- Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 30 mg
- Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 5 mg
- Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 15 mg
- Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 20 mg
- Theophylline extended-release 200 mg
- Theophylline extended-release 100 mg
- Xigduo XR 5 mg / 1000 mg
- Xigduo XR 10 mg / 1000 mg
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.