D&C Red No. 33
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 22, 2021.
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
D&C Red No. 33 is a drug and cosmetic synthetic dye. The FDA lists it as a safe additive for drugs and cosmetics as per FDA standards. In cosmetics, it can be used externally and in general cosmetics, including lipsticks, but is not to be used in cosmetics close to the eye.
The color additive D&C Red. No 33 may be safely used for coloring ingested drugs in amounts not to exceed 0.75 milligram per daily dose of the drug. D&C Red No. 33 may be safely used for coloring externally applied drugs, mouthwashes, and dentifrices in amounts consistent with current good manufacturing practice. D&C Red No. 33 may also be safely used for coloring cosmetic lip products in amounts not to exceed 3 percent total color by weight of the finished cosmetic products. D&C Red No. 33 may be safely used for coloring mouthwashes (including breath fresheners), dentifrices, and externally applied cosmetics in amounts consistent with current good manufacturing practice.
Top Medications with this Excipient
- Adipex-P 37.5 mg
- Alka-Seltzer Plus-D Multi-Symptom Sinus & Cold acetaminophen 325 mg / chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg / dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg / pseudoephedrine HCl 30 mg
- Amoxicillin 250 mg
- Atomoxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Celecoxib 200 mg
- Clindamycin Hydrochloride 300 mg
- Colace 50 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 20 mg
- Dilatrate-SR 40 mg
- Docusate Calcium 240 mg
- Kao-tin docusate calcium 240 mg
- Loxapine Succinate 10 mg
- Loxitane 5 mg
- Mapap Rapid Release Gelcaps 500 mg
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release (LA) 30 mg
- Midol Complete acetaminophen 500 mg / caffeine 60 mg / pyrilamine maleate 15 mg
- Mydayis 50 mg
- Pain Relief PM Extra Strength acetaminophen 500 mg / diphenhydramine 25 mg
- Terazosin Hydrochloride 2 mg
- Zaroxolyn 2.5 mg
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Cosmetics. Color Additives Permitted for Use. Accessed 8/20/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/VoluntaryCosmeticsRegistrationProgramVCRP/OnlineRegistration/ucm109084.htm
 Electronic Code of Federal Registers. Title 21: Food and Drugs. Part 74. Listing of color additives subject to certification. Accessed online 8/20/2012. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=c387334e82029536a53dde1171ba5481;rgn=div5;view=text;node=21%3A126.96.36.199.27;idno=21;cc=ecfr#21:188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.