D&C Red No. 33
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 21, 2023.
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
D&C Red No. 33 is a drug and cosmetic synthetic dye. The FDA lists it as a safe additive for drugs and cosmetics as per FDA standards. In cosmetics, it can be used externally and in general cosmetics, including lipsticks, but is not to be used in cosmetics close to the eye.
The color additive D&C Red. No 33 may be safely used for coloring ingested drugs in amounts not to exceed 0.75 milligram per daily dose of the drug. D&C Red No. 33 may be safely used for coloring externally applied drugs, mouthwashes, and dentifrices in amounts consistent with current good manufacturing practice. D&C Red No. 33 may also be safely used for coloring cosmetic lip products in amounts not to exceed 3 percent total color by weight of the finished cosmetic products. D&C Red No. 33 may be safely used for coloring mouthwashes (including breath fresheners), dentifrices, and externally applied cosmetics in amounts consistent with current good manufacturing practice.
List of medications using D&C Red No. 33
- Acetaminophen, Butalbital, Caffeine and Codeine 325 mg / 50 mg / 40 mg / 30 mg
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Formula acetaminophen 325 mg / chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg / dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg
- Amoxicillin 500 mg
- Aspirin, Butalbital, Caffeine and Codeine 325 mg / 50 mg / 40 mg / 30 mg
- Atomoxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Celecoxib 200 mg
- Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride 5 mg
- Colace 100 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 20 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Etodolac 300mg
- Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50 mg
- Hydroxyzine Pamoate 100 mg
- Mapap Rapid Release Gelcaps 500 mg
- Minocycline Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Mydayis 50 mg
- Nitrofurantoin (Macrocrystals) 50 mg
- Phentermine Hydrochloride 37.5 mg
- Vistaril 25 mg
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Cosmetics. Color Additives Permitted for Use. Accessed 8/20/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/VoluntaryCosmeticsRegistrationProgramVCRP/OnlineRegistration/ucm109084.htm
- Electronic Code of Federal Registers. Title 21: Food and Drugs. Part 74. Listing of color additives subject to certification. Accessed online 8/20/2012. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=c387334e82029536a53dde1171ba5481;rgn=div5;view=text;node=21%3A188.8.131.52.27;idno=21;cc=ecfr#21:184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.