D&C Red No. 33
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 1, 2018.
What is it?
D&C Red No. 33 is a drug and cosmetic synthetic dye. The FDA lists it as a safe additive for drugs and cosmetics as per FDA standards. In cosmetics, it can be used externally and in general cosmetics, including lipsticks, but is not to be used in cosmetics close to the eye.
The color additive D&C Red. No 33 may be safely used for coloring ingested drugs in amounts not to exceed 0.75 milligram per daily dose of the drug. D&C Red No. 33 may be safely used for coloring externally applied drugs, mouthwashes, and dentifrices in amounts consistent with current good manufacturing practice. D&C Red No. 33 may also be safely used for coloring cosmetic lip products in amounts not to exceed 3 percent total color by weight of the finished cosmetic products. D&C Red No. 33 may be safely used for coloring mouthwashes (including breath fresheners), dentifrices, and externally applied cosmetics in amounts consistent with current good manufacturing practice.
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Cosmetics. Color Additives Permitted for Use. Accessed 8/20/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/VoluntaryCosmeticsRegistrationProgramVCRP/OnlineRegistration/ucm109084.htm
 Electronic Code of Federal Registers. Title 21: Food and Drugs. Part 74. Listing of color additives subject to certification. Accessed online 8/20/2012. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=c387334e82029536a53dde1171ba5481;rgn=div5;view=text;node=21%3A220.127.116.11.27;idno=21;cc=ecfr#21:18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acyclovir 200 mg
- Amitriptyline Hydrochloride 100 mg
- Budesonide (Enteric Coated) 3 mg
- Clindamycin Hydrochloride 300 mg
- Clomipramine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Colace 50 mg
- Dexmethylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 20 mg
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended Release 5 mg
- Disopyramide Phosphate 150 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Dyrenium 100 mg
- Esgic-plus 500 mg / 50 mg / 40 mg
- Fenofibrate (Micronized) 67 mg
- Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50 mg
- Kao-Tin docusate calcium 240 mg
- Phenoxybenzamine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Phrenilin with Caffeine and Codeine acetaminophen 325 mg / butalbital 50 mg / caffeine 40 mg / codeine phosphate 30 mg
- Verapamil Hydrochloride Extended Release 100 mg
- Vistaril 25 mg