D&C Red No. 28
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
D&C Red No. 28, also known as Disodium 2',4',5',7'-tetrabromo-4,5,6,7-tetrachlorofluorescein (C20H2O5Br4Cl4Na2) is a dye approved by the FDA for use in drugs and cosmetics according to the specifications set forth by the FDA. FD&C Red No. 28 is not approved for use in foods.
FDA performs regulatory review for color additives used in foods, drugs, cosmetics, and medical devices. These colors are then certified by the FDA for safe use according to specifications. The FD&C notation specifies the color is approved for use in foods, drugs and cosmetics.
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Color Additives: FDA's Regulatory Process and Historical Perspectives. Accessed 10/20/2011. http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/RegulatoryProcessHistoricalPerspectives/default.htm
 Electronic Code of Federal Registers. Title 21: Food and Drugs. Part 74. Listing of color additives subject to certification. Subpart B. Drugs. Accessed online October 19, 2011. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=c387334e82029536a53dde1171ba5481;rgn=div5;view=text;node=21%3A188.8.131.52.27;idno=21;cc=ecfr#21:184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amlodipine Besylate and Benazepril Hydrochloride 5 mg / 40 mg
- Amlodipine Besylate and Benazepril Hydrochloride 5 mg / 20 mg
- Amoxicillin Trihydrate 500mg
- Cefdinir 300 mg
- Clindamycin Hydrochloride 300 mg
- Dicyclomine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Diltiazem Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XR) 180 mg
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg
- Hydroxyzine Pamoate 25 mg
- Kadian 70 mg
- Minipress 2 mg
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 20 mg
- Phentermine Hydrochloride 37.5 mg
- Prilosec 40 mg
- Terazosin Hydrochloride 5 mg
- Venlafaxine Hydrochloride Extended Release 150 mg
- Verelan 240 mg
- Verelan PM 100 mg