Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By marilynj55
how long till you're addicted to methadone?
    marilynj55 is offline Junior Member

Default how long till you're addicted to methadone?

I know I've asked this before but my brain is so drug-addled, I can't remember a thing. I successfully got off methadone and subutex with Henry's help, then stupidly took the first dose of methadone again. I can't remember how long I've been taking it, but it's been about 40 mg. for maybe 8-10 days. Is that long enough to get addicted to the point that I will be sick when I quit? I did throw in a couple of days in there when I didn't take it.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by marilynj55 View Post
    I know I've asked this before but my brain is so drug-addled, I can't remember a thing. I successfully got off methadone and subutex with Henry's help, then stupidly took the first dose of methadone again. I can't remember how long I've been taking it, but it's been about 40 mg. for maybe 8-10 days. Is that long enough to get addicted to the point that I will be sick when I quit? I did throw in a couple of days in there when I didn't take it.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.
    Marilyn .... I've spoken to you before right? The Methadone has such a very long half-life (about 72 hours or longer) and you have taken it for the 8-10 days or so. I believe that you will in my opinion have some symptoms of withdrawals that are going to be not so pleasant for you. They may last anywhere from 5-10 days or maybe even longer. Very hard to judge as everyone is different. But if you just stop right now cold turkey from that dose of 40mg you may very well feel more rough symptoms than if you tapered down to say about 20mg's or so and then jumped!

Up to you of course, but I would suggest that you do your very best to taper down to the 20mg or so I mentioned, and then jump from there. That's my first suggestion. My second would be to try the Subs again to get yourself clean. You know and understand just how they work as you have tried them before.

Think it over and others will be here I'm sure Marilyn. I wish you the very best and hope you can make the decision to get clean, and stay clean. God Bless....Denny

marilynj55 is offline Junior Member

Denny, thanks so much for your reply. I do have a phone call in to my sub doctor, hoping he will take me back. And I'm doing a LOT of praying.

I appreciate the time you have taken with someone who has not shown a whole lot of gumption, or whatever it is I'm lacking. I'm so weary of this, last night I even considered standing in a pool of water and blow-drying my hair to end it all. But of course I can't do this; I have children and it would destroy them.

I think your suggestion of subs is a very good one.

Thanks again.

Marilyn
    Denny_D and flyindwall like this.

rxqueen is offline Junior Member

I think you'll be fine with very little if any symptoms but I suggest you get off it and stay off it. Get rid of any methadone in your home if you have any.

Bluedog74 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by marilynj55 View Post

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.
    As you might already know, Methadone builds up in the bloodstream over the course of 3-5 days and then continues to build up(stores itself). So if you are taking 40mg for 8 days, you actually have much more of the drug in your body/bloodstream. If you're opiate addicted, then the short answer to your question is yes. But you will not feel the withdrawal for about 35 hours from your last dose due to the long half-life. I would quit, and if you get sick, take small amounts. Just enough to make you able to function normally. Maybe 20mg or even 15mg. Start low and go from there. Remember, there is nothing wrong with dope sickness. It is the process of your body, and especially your brain, healing. It sucks, but it must be done. I always tapered down low, then went cold turkey off Methadone.

My experiences: 30 years of opiate,cocaine, and amphetamine addiction as well as prescription drugs. Then recovery.... Life is better without drugs...
    Last edited by Bluedog74; 02-07-2012 at 08:51 AM.

flyindwall is offline New Member

Default Everyone is different - keep trying

I got shot in a war and had to take Percocet, Oxycontin - whatever doctors gave me in mass quantities. The pain subsided, the docs cut me off, and I started abusing whatever opiate pill or patch I could legally or illegally get my hands on. I did crystal meth twice: only opiates made me feel normal. I intensely dislike the legal drug alcohol. In two yrs, my addiction was out of control. An ER doc put me on a small dose of Methadone that grew to 120mg/ day. All of that told, I began to read and understand the disease that is addiction. I finally understood how a man who got to the highest grades in the military, served 27-plus years of honorably, and survived many a war, became powerless over opiates. Addiction is a disease. I AM SURE. My life was counting pills and a hope to not get sick before I found better ones.
    Folks: STOP giving Methadone such a bad rap. I do not have a single rotten tooth and my bones are just fine after 20-years of using and early years of abuse. I am 65 now - Methadone saved my life! I have llived a normal, 20 yr life on it. I found a great job after I got on the right dose. I even found a loving relationship that has lasted as long as I have been on it. Five years ago, I decided to get off Methadone. I got old and the Methadone that gave me life, became difficult to live with. I felt it made me lethargic. I gained weight, hypertension, diabetes, and then some. It was a constant hassle to get the medicine when I moved or went on vacation. Long story short, I am now on 5mg a day, and most of what I have felt coming off over the years is the same anxiety and sadness being a soldier brought to my life. I chose to not use antidepressants - but if you want to, YOU can and perhaps should. My addiction was compounded by a medical system that promotes the disease out of compassion. It has two sides: when you get sick on drugs, the same doctors who prescribed them look down on you. Moving to another town and finding support to help you get the medicine you need to live a stable life is rough (even 10 mg a day!). Can you get off Methadone? Yes, but have a good reason to get off or please stay on it. If you really want off but are unable to slowly cut down, learning about the disease, just one good doctor, groups, even a single, compassionate friend can help you do it. BUT - do it on your schedule and not as mandated by a social worker who must take a break during your intake because she must have a cigarette. I made a pact to NEVER return to a dose I left behind. If I went from 50 to 45, I stayed on 45 and dealt with some discomfort. It was not so bad because I MADE THE CHOICE. I do not even know how long it will take me to get off 5mg or if I ever will. I DO NOT CARE. I will cut down again WHEN I AM READY and not when someone else wants me to. Getting off has been more difficult on my mind than body: in fact, ALL of my body functions returned to normal after I lost the pounds. Do not let some post scare you: we are all different. Read all you can about getting off before you start. If you are using Methadone today and it presents you with no problems, why get off if YOU DO NOT HAVE TO? Diabetics need insulin and drug addicts need drugs...hard for either to live long without them! Society at large does not understand you: learn to understand yourself. If you are a true addict (and you know), carefully evaluate quick detoxes and 5-day rehab programs. I flunk them all more than once even though I paid thousands for ALL but one. It is your life, addiction is a disease, and no one looks down on a diabetic. Try to work with the system: understand that you are in a system largely enacted for profit and power - not to help you get well or to protect our way of life.

Someone will probably post about how the last 5mg are the most difficult to kick, and PAWS, and blah blah. I will see if that is so...on my own terms and time clock. I am grateful for Methadone. I must honor it. I am an addict...a sick old man who did life as best as he could. HOW AND WHEN I GET OFF IS MY CHOICE FOR EVERYONE TO RESPECT. I will make it to that last dose or die on it...but not on a generic regimen prescribed by some expert who knows nothing about what it is like for a human being to suffer from the painful and destructive disease that is a TRUE substance addiction, dependence, or whatever you call it. I love ALL addicts - I share your daily struggle to feel a little peace...a peace many humans not afflicted by this horror take for granted as a fact of life. Only those addicted to alcohol might understand, but they are not considered bonafide drug addicts (they are alcoholics, and society has rules in place that make being an alcoholic a non issue where going to a methadone clinic every day until forever is...UNACCEPTABLE. .