Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 2 Post By Veronica18
  • 2 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 2 Post By Randy35
Taking your time tapering
    Veronica18 is offline New Member

Default Taking your time tapering

I heard some horrifying news from my doctor once I told her that I tapered down to 1.25mg strip of suboxone (originally starting from 4mgs). I told her that I plan to drag out my tapering from 1.25strip to zero within 6 months. She told me that suboxone does not work that way. Your body can't "get use" to tapering down when it comes to suboxone and that I may feel good when I take my dose in the morning but late afternoon I will be going threw withdrawls EVERYDAY until my morning dose. This scares me. I've been on Suboxone for 4 years and want nothing more than to be ME again and not just numb. To be Alive not just Exsiting. Got off Suboxone once and it was 30 days of non stop hell.
    My question is: If your tapering off starting from a low dose by lengthening your tapering process dramatically, can your body "get use" to that dose eventually so you then can decrease dose again??
    I'm praying that someone can give me answers quickly .. Thank u

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I just want to tell you quickly cuz I have to go but that is not true.
    Hundreds if not 1000s have done taper plan here and done just fine.
    It is called Roberts taper..
    Drops 25% every 4-5 days or until staple.
    Stable means little to no withdrawals..
    You drop only when stable...
    Then at the end you do skip days..
    I am down to less than 1/4 mg and doing skip days now .
    It is doable..
    Definitely don't listen to someone who has not done it themselves..
    Drs really know very little about suboxone..
    There are many on here either tapering now or have already jumped off and loving life..
    Free from addictive addiction...

Hang tight someone with experience will be here to help..
    I will check back later..

You can Relax..
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-25-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    Iwantoff2013 and Randy35 like this.

Thanks so much for the encouragement Iluv2!! I hope that you are right b/c it's my one and only plan to get off subs since I can't afford in patient rehab. I've had over 15 surgeries and counting and I have NEVER been in more pain/agony in 2011 when I got off cold turkey at 4mg. I mentally/physically could never do that again without being in a rehabilitation center being treated (which I can't afford).
    I hope to hear more answers out there..
    Iluv2smile and Randy35 like this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica18 View Post
    I heard some horrifying news from my doctor once I told her that I tapered down to 1.25mg strip of suboxone (originally starting from 4mgs). I told her that I plan to drag out my tapering from 1.25strip to zero within 6 months. She told me that suboxone does not work that way. Your body can't "get use" to tapering down when it comes to suboxone and that I may feel good when I take my dose in the morning but late afternoon I will be going threw withdrawls EVERYDAY until my morning dose. This scares me. I've been on Suboxone for 4 years and want nothing more than to be ME again and not just numb. To be Alive not just Exsiting. Got off Suboxone once and it was 30 days of non stop hell.
    My question is: If your tapering off starting from a low dose by lengthening your tapering process dramatically, can your body "get use" to that dose eventually so you then can decrease dose again??
    I'm praying that someone can give me answers quickly .. Thank u
    Hi there. Sounds to me like your doctor either doesn't know what she's talking about or simply wants to keep you on Sub (which is very typical of Sub doctors!). What she said is absolutely not true. Bette (Iluv2) mentioned the taper plan we have here. I also used it get off Sub after many years. Bottom line: it works! Doctors don't want patients to know they can successfully taper off because they lose money that way.

You'll probably have to spend more than 4-5 days at each lowered dose. The taper plan suggests reducing every 4 days or so, but people who have been on Sub long term need to taper slower. The most important thing: never drop before you're stable (little to no WD symptoms) and never drop more than 25% at a time.

If you're stable at 1.25mg, drop to 1mg. Stay there until stable again. Drop another 25% to .75mg. Repeat process until you're down to about .25mg or less. Then you can do skip days and jump off.

Kat
    Randy35 and Iluv2smile like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Veronica - Welcome to the forum!

Please listen to the previous members, Bette (Iluv2) amd Kat because they're both speaking how it really is. Most every sub doctor (not all because there are some good ones I assume) has absolutely zero clue how sub should really be used, and how it really works. They're soley in it for the money they can easily make, hand out huge doses to most patients, and intend on keeping you on it for very long periods of time, including the rest of your life in most cases. I highly doubt sub doctors have ever used this medication themselves. All that's required of them to be able to prescribe this drug is to take a rather simple 8 hour online course and that's it!!! Most of the members here could pass that test easily based on their EXPERIENCE!!!

Heres the link to the sub plan the ladies spoke of -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

They both used it and so have I. It works perfectly if you follow it closely! Like they said, because you've been on the subs for those 4 years you'll probably need to remain on each dose a few days longer than the 4 days that the plan recommends. NOTHING at all wrong with that because it will get you off the sub with the LEAST amount of symptoms, which is exactly what you want.

Make your dose reductions 25%, but don't reduce until you're completely stable, which means having no withdrawal symptoms. May take 4 days on some doses, but may take 5 or more on others and probably will based on the time you've been on the sub.

Take care and know that we're ready to help you all the way as you taper and get off. Free and clean is a wonderful feeling!!!

-Randy
    Iwantoff2013 and Iluv2smile like this.

I want to thank you Randy and Iluv2 from the bottom of my heart!! I noticed that when I've tried to move from 1.25mg to 1mg I do fine for about 6 or 7 days. Then all of a sudden I go through w/d's and have to take a nibble of subs. Just when I finally get relief it shoots me down. I've tried this method several times and will keep trying . I bought 'withdrawl-ease' and was thinking about taking it but am scared b/c my doctor told me that she is not an alternative medicine doctor and does not know if the ingredients are safe with my other medicines. I swear these doctors don't know anything when it comes with tapering off subs. I am taking omegas, vit D3, Prozac 10mgs, Xanax .5mg (at bedtime), Astaxanthin, adderall 10mg, and probiotics. The only reason I'm on Xanax is for sleep b/c I have Interstitial Cystitis and without a sleeping pill I only get 3 hours of sleep per night.
    Is it safe to taper (once I get down to 1mg) at a slower rate? Instead of 4 or 5 days, to wait a couple weeks before lowering Suboxone ? I apologize ahead of time for this lengthy question for people to read and hope to get some more help.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica18 View Post
    Is it safe to taper (once I get down to 1mg) at a slower rate? Instead of 4 or 5 days, to wait a couple weeks before lowering Suboxone ? I apologize ahead of time for this lengthy question for people to read and hope to get some more help.

It's not only safe to taper slower once you get to 1mg, it's highly recommended you do that. You've been on subs 4 years and taking it slower is the right way to do this I promise. If you rush things that's when problems quickly arise and make things much more difficult. If it takes 2 weeks on the smaller doses that's perfectly fine!

Just make certain you're completely stable, have no withdrawals before reducing and everything will be ok. Theres also no "easy" way out of this either. Some symptoms are to be expected along the way. When you have a couple of lousy days try to fight your way past it because it never lasts long.

You're on lots of different meds and it's nearly impossible to know what symptoms may be the subs or maybe a side effect of one of the others. Hard to tell that's for sure. Subs don't cause EVERY symptom all the time.

I believe a maximum of 2 weeks is plenty of time on a dose now. Usually when we reduce it takes our bodies a couple days to adjust to the new dose. On the 3rd or 4th day we should notice an improvement in the way we feel. Additional days could be up and down type of feelings. Peaks and valleys in other words. It should begin to level out in a matter of time and then you reduce again. You'll know when you're ready for every dose reduction as your body will tell you.

Keep following the plan. You're doing great!

-Randy

I'm checking in to say that I was able to get down to .5mg strip however, I had to move it up to .75 because the withdrawls took over. It seems like (for me) that withdrawls don't step in till day 3 or 4 and when it hits it hits hard. Scares me. Unfortunately, this battle I'm in, I'm in alone. My family does not know I had to start back on subs after my last surgery 4 years ago and would be Devastated if they found out. My mother flew to Vegas from michigan and stayed with me for 3 weeks while I went cold turkey off of 4mgs 5 years ago and I will never put her through that again. The GUILT wears on me like no other. So i am trying my best to do this myself. I just need to know that I can reduce from .75 b/c I've tried twice and I can't seem to get stable on it physically and mentally. It feels like a panic attack is creeping up and I just don't want to have a break down at work or at home. Is there more helpful hints anyone can help me with at this lower dose?
    Thanks for your time

I meant to say I was at .25 but had to move up to .5