Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey after 2 years
    TurdFerguson is offline New Member

Cool Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey after 2 years

Hello everyone,

I figured I would make an account of me quitting suboxone. I have been on numerous programs and drugs to combat opiate addiction which I picked up 5 years ago after a dentist visit. Basically, I was getting unlimited refills and that just started me down one of the worst paths I have ever taking so far in my life.
    Anyways, to the point. I have been on Suboxone for the past two years. I was prescribed 16mg a day( two 8mg strips a day) to take. I am just sick of the side effects and the way my life has been. I don't socialize anymore, I always feel fatigued, I have practically one bowel movement a week. I want it all out of my system. I want to go back to the days when I never took any of this garbage and I was healthy.

I do not fear quitting, nor do I fear the WD symptoms. I have been through them before I just had friends that always would intervene and I ended up taking pills etc which stopped the process. This time I am doing it for good.

First, I tapered myself down for the past month to basically 4mg in the morning and 4 mg at night. The past two days I have taking just 4mg. I feel fine today with only 4MG taking at 11PM last night. My sleep cycle is upside down due to my grandmother having a stroke on Saturday. I have been in and out of the hospital all weekend to today.

I have vacation off work for 6 days but I can get another 2-3 days if needed. Tomorrow, 4/14 will be day 1 without any suboxone. From what I know and read the serious WD will kick in after a couple days. I am following the Thomas Recipe for this detox. I will list what I bought from the store, and what I bought off the street and how I will be approaching this. I will also be posting daily so anyone can comment and learn.

I have purchased the three items at the local pharmacy. I could not get my hands on L-Tyrosine(helps with after effects of WD)
    Item 1 - Imodium 18 caplets - This is to help with cramps, bloating, gas, Diarrhea etc.
    Item 2 - B-6 100mg tablets
    Item 3 - Centrum Silver 65 tablets. The main components important in these are potassium, copper, Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorus.

Item 4 - Zanax 1mg qty 60 - This is a very crucial drug to have. It will help me sleep mostly through these upcoming days.

Item 5 - Lots of hot baths! These are wonderful when going through WD. Do not underestimate.

If you want a details guideline of The Thomas Recipe check out this posting https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

Some quick excerpts from the guide
    **Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome).**

**Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Be sure you take enough that is safe. I will be with my mom so I am having her keep an eye on me and help. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

**During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches.

**Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs

My approach is simple. I will be following the recipe above. I will be utilizing hot baths and showers multiple(probably lots) everyday.They help a lot. Drinking lots of fluids. I will be taking 1 tablet of Centrum and 1 tablet of B6 with food each day. I will of course be keeping myself heavily sedated to the point where I will try and sleep through most of each day. One part that worries me is my tolerance to Benzo's. I have been on them for over a year and I can easily take 8mg+ before actually passing out. I should have enough though to make it through this. Like I said, I do have someone that will be keeping an eye on me from time to time. It is good to have support. Trust me.

Alright, after 4 days I expect the worst to be over. I will post tomorrow afternoon or evening to let you know how it is going. I don't think I will be going through any serious WD so it will be a mostly boring update I think.

Wish me luck.
    Ready, Set, GO!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-14-2015 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Adding info to my steps
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Turd Ferguson
    "If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0"

Some background info on myself. I am a Systems Administrator for a very large company. I have been in IT for 15 years. I am 6 classes away from my Bachelor's Degree. I am 28 years old. My brother passed away December 22nd 2013 of a drug overdose(Xanax, Oxycontin, sleep medication). My grandfather passed away almost a 1 year 1/2 before my brother. Currently, my grandmother is in the hospital dying. The neurologist will not perform the surgery she needs because it will kill her. Our family is moving her back to her house to live out the rest of her days which I hope are many more. This is a rough time emotionally for me. I have 1 kid which I can't see because the mother is a b$$tch and moved oversees. I am currently single. I live alone. If you were to look at me you wouldn't think I was a drug addict at one point or a recovering one. Considering I live in NC, the pill problem is very bad here. I no longer associate with ANYONE from my previous state of addiction. When you are trying to get off drugs, and you almost are through the WD's, you get a call or text saying, "hey I got some of those. Want any?". That will destroy your attempt.
    Turd Ferguson

wellbri is offline Banned

Hey man sorry about to hear about your grandmother. First and foremost.

I know it is a trying time and you sound like you are ready for this and I don't want to sound negative but sub detox is not easy. The physical symptoms are a lot easier than pills but it can last a lot longer. I only say this because you say day 4 you expect the worst to be over when days 4-6 are the worst. I had tried for a month to get off about 1mg a day and always folded at day 4 until recently. I just say this so you don't get discouraged, because believe me days 1-3 suck as well but it can be hard when you already go through 3 days of this and think you are getting better but the symptoms get worse for a few more days.

The immodium will definitely help you though. I took it right before day 4 and it carried me all the way to day 6. Other than what I said you got the right idea going about it. Good luck to you!

Thank you. Her being in the situation she is in makes things harder but I think it will give me strength in the end. I say 4 days because that was the general number I was reading from other post. Not all post, some. I will take your words of caution and not expect to be "free" on day 4. I know from past experiences it can be a day or two before suboxone even gets out of your system. I do remember going almost 2 days without any while waiting for a refill. I felt sweats, some leg pain but overall ok. I think at day 2 or 3 it will get bad.
    Turd Ferguson

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Mr. Ferguson, I wish you all the luck in the word. But jumping from a dose of 4mg of sub is not going to be easy I'm afraid. As Wellbri said the symptoms can last a month or longer depending on several factors. Sub is about 30 x as strong as Morphine, but it's the very long half life that makes it a challenge to jump from those high amounts. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's not easy by no means.

Many end up giving in to those symptoms and getitng back on to taper lower. Because the half life is so long the symptoms may not hit full force until days 4-6 or so. It can makes things unbearable. Just being honest and not trying to discourage you one bit. You wouldn't be considered a failure if you did get back on and taper real low just so you know.

I hope you make it, I really, really do. Treat the symptoms as they pop. Lots and lots of fluids to flsuh toxins out faster. Thomas Recipe is great, but the benzo's present another problem if not real careful. Get all the exercise you can. Staying busy is key to getting through this. Watching the clock makes minutes seem like hours. Get out of the house as much as possible.

We're here to help and support. If you have questions let us know.

-Randy
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Thanks for that info. I do know that it can remain in the system a while. My problem is I can't get back on a taper. My Dr, who I thought was a nice guy, kicked me off his patient list because I missed an appointment. I have 1 strip left. The only doctor within 50 miles is only open on Tuesdays 1-5 and Friday 1-5. They never answer the phone and if I am lucky to get a voice mail, they don't call back. So it is all or nothing for me. Considering the family crisis I am going through, I may be able to all of next week off as well. If needed. I hope that for my sake it gets out of my system fast!

I do know that Benzo's along with Methadon/Suboxone can lead to respistory issues but I have been on both for years with no issues. That is not to say it can't happen which is why I am having someone with me while I go through this to watch out for any issues. I can't return back to chasing pills. I just can't. I have to do this!
    Turd Ferguson

Day 1 10PM 4/15
    I have already started to feel the effects of the suboxone leaving my system, although obviously it isn't that bad. I am hot, but havn't started having cold sweats and I am restless. Getting more restless. So far so good. Tomorrow when I wake I expect to be having more syptomps.
    Things of note
    -Acquired 40 .5mg Xanax. Just to make sure I have enough to keep a sleep.
    -I got a a call from a Dr office(1 hr away) which is taking new patients for suboxone. I have appt with them on Monday. I have scheduled this just in case.

Tomorrow night if I am able to I will post an update.
    Turd Ferguson

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
    Day 1 10PM 4/15
    I have already started to feel the effects of the suboxone leaving my system, although obviously it isn't that bad. I am hot, but havn't started having cold sweats and I am restless. Getting more restless. So far so good. Tomorrow when I wake I expect to be having more syptomps.
    Things of note
    -Acquired 40 .5mg Xanax. Just to make sure I have enough to keep a sleep.
    -I got a a call from a Dr office(1 hr away) which is taking new patients for suboxone. I have appt with them on Monday. I have scheduled this just in case.

Tomorrow night if I am able to I will post an update.

Hey there. I'm glad you have that doctor appt as a back up. So what it's an hour away, lots of people drive that and more. I drove around 55 min depending on traffic when I was on subs. The sub doctors are only allowed to have 100 patients and no more at any given time. They are turning away addicts and that's just not right IMO. I hope that one day soon that cap will be lifted. I'm very happy they called you back.

I wanted to say in my other post that you not only jumped from a 4mg dose but you were on 8mg daily before that. And before that you were prescribed 16mg a day!!! You have a LOT of sub built up in your system. It will take some time for all that to dissapate I'm afraid. You wouldn't be the first to get back on a smaller dose and taper lower if that's what you end up doing.

Now with that said I will say the power of positive thinking is astounding! We can make ourselves believe what we want and we can do anything we set our minds to doing. Yes you jumped from a VERY HIGH dose of sub and it's not going to be easy to keep going. But that certainly doesn't mean you can't be successful, because you absolutely can!!! You have to be willing to fight like you never have before when and if the symptoms hit the hardest. It's been accomplished before as I said.

You have support here no matter what happens. I'll be here to help you see this through.

-Randy