Results 1 to 27 of 27
quit oxycontin use cold turkey. Now on day 4
  1. #1
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default quit oxycontin use cold turkey. Now on day 4

    Hi there, I'm new to this forum (first post) but i've obtaining info for a while to prepare myself for when i quit. Amazing info everyone, thanks so much.
    Basically, i was using from 160mg to 240mg a day for approx 6 months in which then i quit cold turkey for 10 days. Everything seemed to be going fine besides the general malaise and depression. I went away to a reclusive cottage with my parents to try to help with opiate w/d, which helped, but as soon as returned home I relapsed. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! Now I'm 4 months back into it and I'd finally had enough. It was completely ruining my life in only such a short term. This time I told everyone my problem and I got an amazing support team, including my girlfriend who is a nurse. I moved into my parents house (for 10 days) to be surrounded by loving family. I went and saw my family doctor who helped me with some Ativan for the panic attacks and sleeping as well as some citopralem(sp?) for the depression, (which was what made me relapsed the last time. I'm also following the Thomas Recipe, which seems to be working wonders, highly recommended it.

    As for the symptoms I've having? Def. zero energy but getting better,My shoulders are't slouched over anymore and I'm starting to walk with purpose and stride. I haven't had any physical symptoms like vomiting, ********ting myself or night sweats. I have the occasional bout of restless leg syndrome, but I can battle thru that. I've getting 6 to 8 hours a night of sleep plus a nap during the day which def. helps. My diet has been very clean and I' m taking 2 walks a day as well to get my energy levels back up.

    Now I know that still really early into this ans anything can happen at any tine, but i'm prepared for that. It just seems that I'm doing incredible and hoping everyday gets better. I know I can do this and I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Baby steps.

  2. #2
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,926

    Default

    Wow, that's incredible! You should be so proud of yourself for: telling all to those you love, that takes real courage, deciding you need to quit and then going for it. As Robert would say: you don't need to use again, but remember getting clean isn't an event it's a process. It sounds like you have some great support in your life. You did the next right thing by posting here. There are some awesome people on this site who will listen to you and support you. Do you have someone who will work with you for your depression? Whatever you do, hang tough, post whenever things get tough, and everyday WILL get better.

    Peace

    IloeRose

  3. #3
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Thanks alot. Things are going better than expected and I feel alot stonger this time. I will NOT let this happen to me again. I want my life back, period!

  4. #4
    doc.rose is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Keep up the good fight!! You are on your way to a better life!! Since you are going cold turkey, post as much as you can to get support from others, I think it helps.

  5. #5
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Day 5 cold turkey now. Just finished taking my dog for a walk and then my girlfriend came over for some moral support. Energy levels are still low but that's to be expected, that's why I'm walking everyday. I'm in a good frame of mind though and I'm starting to smile a lot. (corny, I know) Plus my sex drive is coming back and that just staggers me!!! lol I just know that I will never, ever depend on that ********ing pill to ruin my life again. I'm sure the urge will rise here and there in the future but, then, it will subside, back to normal life. I'm feeling better everyday. Appreciate any support. thanks guys.

  6. #6
    Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Paiste,
    You are doing fantasic. Sounds like you are not having very bad symptoms at all. That is rally great. I hope you do well in your recovery. Keep taking the vitamins. It's cool to kind of use this as a tool to start eating well and exercising, thats what I did. Keep posting. There are really some supprtive, wonderful people here.

  7. #7
    mottam is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    paiste:
    Welcome to the forum.
    Do not beat yourself up over the relapse - most in here have relapsed numerous times - myself included.
    The main thing is that we realize what this all is - addiction, and we attack it head on.

    I, also, am a fellow oxy user (x-user -

    It is so great that you are on day 5 and moving forward. Keep going, and stay strong.
    Try to remember what were the successful things you did during your first recovery - hold onto them.
    Then, right down and remember what caused you to relapse; your triggers.

    Like it has been said to me - you NEVER have to use again!

    Best of luck - keep posting.

    mottam

  8. #8
    bestday is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    58

    Default Hi There!

    You came to the right place for help. The people are really great here. Don't get down on yourself for the relapse, just keep looking forward. I'm also a recovering oxy addict, and quit cold turkey from around the same dosage you were taking. I also relapsed recently. I try not to dwell on it, and just keep looking forward to a life without relying on those pills. There's a lot to look forward to, and when that energy comes back and you feel just normal, you'll feel really great!

  9. #9
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bestday View Post
    You came to the right place for help. The people are really great here. Don't get down on yourself for the relapse, just keep looking forward. I'm also a recovering oxy addict, and quit cold turkey from around the same dosage you were taking. I also relapsed recently. I try not to dwell on it, and just keep looking forward to a life without relying on those pills. There's a lot to look forward to, and when that energy comes back and you feel just normal, you'll feel really great!
    Just curious, it can take about 10 to 30 days to see normal energy levels right? Don't worry, I,m going all the way this time. Thanks for the encouraging words guys. i'm really, really tired tonight but that will pass and tomorrow will be a new day. I' so excited to getting back my normal self that I can taste it!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    mottam is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paiste View Post
    Just curious, it can take about 10 to 30 days to see normal energy levels right? Don't worry, I,m going all the way this time. Thanks for the encouraging words guys. i'm really, really tired tonight but that will pass and tomorrow will be a new day. I' so excited to getting back my normal self that I can taste it!!!!!!!

    paiste:
    Good morning.
    The energy returning varies from person to person.
    One of the good suggestions on this forum is to exercise whenever possible. The other is to observe good nutrition.
    This recovery process will take time - never get discouraged.

    This last post is showing that you are already getting that healthy, positive outlook. Keep it up - you are doing great.

    If you hit speed bumps along the way (we all do) - post.
    Someone on here can relate and offer you some good advice.

    Have a great day.
    mottam

  11. #11
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Day 6 now and energy levels are a little better. I got up and went for a walk about 8am. T he thing is is that I used to be a bodybuilder until I herniated a disk in my back and thats when the oxy abuse slowly started to take shape, so I know a thing or two about nutrition so if anyone needs help in that department let me know.

    I feel good and it's only going to get better.

    I had some really bad cramps last night which eventually passed but I guess that's all part of the healing process.

    Well I'm going to watch Friday the 13th part 2, it's on Spike! lol
    Thanks for the encoouraging words guys, I'll keep posting.

  12. #12
    mottam is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paiste View Post
    Day 6 now and energy levels are a little better. I got up and went for a walk about 8am. T he thing is is that I used to be a bodybuilder until I herniated a disk in my back and thats when the oxy abuse slowly started to take shape, so I know a thing or two about nutrition so if anyone needs help in that department let me know.

    I feel good and it's only going to get better.

    I had some really bad cramps last night which eventually passed but I guess that's all part of the healing process.

    Well I'm going to watch Friday the 13th part 2, it's on Spike! lol
    Thanks for the encoouraging words guys, I'll keep posting.

    Great job - it only gets better from here.

    I may take you up on some of those nutritional tips. Since my appetite has come back (back with a VENGENCE) I know I have not been eating properly (bacon and eggs 5 times a week for breakfast ).

    I will post to you in a while to get some tips on meals, most importantly for breakfast. That is by far my weakest performance - LOL

    Thanks
    mottam

  13. #13
    htoth19 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Hey yeah, if you dont mind I'd like to know how to go about eating better too....Eggs do seem to give me a whole lotta energy though...

    ~Heather

  14. #14
    bestday is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paiste View Post
    Just curious, it can take about 10 to 30 days to see normal energy levels right? Don't worry, I,m going all the way this time. Thanks for the encouraging words guys. i'm really, really tired tonight but that will pass and tomorrow will be a new day. I' so excited to getting back my normal self that I can taste it!!!!!!!
    As mottom said, it's different from person to person. Exercising does help, as well as nutrition. B complex vitamins are good for energy. I see that you're doing better now, and that's great. It all comes back, I promise you. The normal without the pills is so refreshing compared to the "normal" on them. It's such a good feeling, and it's something to look forward to.

  15. #15
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Feeling good tonight, just about to watch a movie. I'm ready to start tapering off the benzo's now. I've been taking approx 8 to 10 mg a day of 1mg ativan because my anxiety was thru the roof. I've only been taking the benzo's for a week, should I be ok? a little nervous about the whole situation. Thanks guys.

  16. #16
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    sorry to bump this thread but this is something I'm genuinely concerned about. thanks

  17. #17
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mottam View Post
    Great job - it only gets better from here.

    I may take you up on some of those nutritional tips. Since my appetite has come back (back with a VENGENCE) I know I have not been eating properly (bacon and eggs 5 times a week for breakfast ).

    I will post to you in a while to get some tips on meals, most importantly for breakfast. That is by far my weakest performance - LOL

    Thanks
    mottam
    Greatest breakfast ever, 1 pinkgrapefruit, 11/2 cups of oatmeal and a protein shake. Does the body good.

  18. #18
    mottam is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paiste View Post
    Feeling good tonight, just about to watch a movie. I'm ready to start tapering off the benzo's now. I've been taking approx 8 to 10 mg a day of 1mg ativan because my anxiety was thru the roof. I've only been taking the benzo's for a week, should I be ok? a little nervous about the whole situation. Thanks guys.

    paiste:
    Good morning.
    I have a few questions - I am NO Doc, but:
    1) How long have you been taking the Ativan at this level (8 to 10 mg daily)?
    2) What is your taper plan?

    From what I understand, 10 mgs. of Ativan is a high level to take. Please be careful, and taper under the guidance of your physician, and with the input from people on here that have had personal experience with this. The last thing you need is a bad benzo w/d.

    Anyway - great job getting off of the oxys - be very proud. Get a SOLID support group ASAP. Triggers are out there on a daily basis. You need to recognize them, and learn how to deal with them.

    Keep posting - you are absolutely winning.

    Kindest Regards
    mottam

  19. #19
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I've only been on the benzo's for a week so I think that I should be able to ppower thru this one. I know the dose was high, but for a very short period of time. prove me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

  20. #20
    mottam is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paiste View Post
    I've only been on the benzo's for a week so I think that I should be able to ppower thru this one. I know the dose was high, but for a very short period of time. prove me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
    paiste:
    I am not looking to prove you wrong or right. I am by no means in a position to judge anyone.
    Just wanted to understand how long you were taking Ativan, that is all.

    You are correct, while the level is high, the duration is short.

    Best of luck, you are doing great.
    mottam

  21. #21
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mottam View Post
    paiste:
    I am not looking to prove you wrong or right. I am by no means in a position to judge anyone.
    Just wanted to understand how long you were taking Ativan, that is all.

    You are correct, while the level is high, the duration is short.

    Best of luck, you are doing great.
    mottam
    No prob. It's day 7 and my mind is becoming so much clearer. Still getting low energy levels even though I'm walking everday, taking vitamins and eating right, still getting RLS though. But that will go away, I know it will. one day at a time, right mottam!

  22. #22
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paiste View Post
    I've only been on the benzo's for a week so I think that I should be able to ppower thru this one. I know the dose was high, but for a very short period of time. prove me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
    Hi Paste! You seem to be doing really well! Keep on keeping on. About your benzo question, I was on 1mg. Klonipin, I was taking about as many as you were 8-10 per day for almost six days. What happened was that I started to get tired, I mean lay down and take a nap tired, so I cut back to a 1/2 at about mid morning to control anxiety and then one at night to get to sleep. I only did that for a few days. Then I just quit. period. I started with 60 and ended after 8 days with 12 left. I didn't have any side effects at all. I stayed on my supplements, walked, kept busy, and took valerian root if I felt nervous. Walking or running w/ my dog helped. So I think you should be o.k. You weren't on them long so as you say you should be able to "power through it". You are doing so great! If you feel nervous about it just taper off a few at a time. I just wanted to keep some left over incase of real bad anxiety.
    For your RLS, check out the Hyland's Restful leg and also gator aid is supposed to be good for cramping.

    BTW, what's your puppy's name? What kind? I don't know where I'd be if my dog didn't take me for walks. LOL.

    Peace,

    Iloe Rose

    Mottam: How are you? You seem to be hanging in there pretty good. I like your advice about walking around the building when the stress builds up. I may use that, even though the school officials aren't going to let me walk around outside in ghetto land, I can still walk a circuit through the halls. I think about you often and pray for you and your family, even though I don't post much.

    IloeRose

  23. #23
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    My dog 's name is Max and he's a boxer, just over a year old. He's def my saviour. Love him to death. That's good news to hear about the benzo's, thanks for the advice. Day 10 and counting!

  24. #24
    LucyGoose is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kemptville , Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paiste View Post
    Hi there, I'm new to this forum (first post) but i've obtaining info for a while to prepare myself for when i quit. Amazing info everyone, thanks so much.
    Basically, i was using from 160mg to 240mg a day for approx 6 months in which then i quit cold turkey for 10 days. Everything seemed to be going fine besides the general malaise and depression. I went away to a reclusive cottage with my parents to try to help with opiate w/d, which helped, but as soon as returned home I relapsed. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! Now I'm 4 months back into it and I'd finally had enough. It was completely ruining my life in only such a short term. This time I told everyone my problem and I got an amazing support team, including my girlfriend who is a nurse. I moved into my parents house (for 10 days) to be surrounded by loving family. I went and saw my family doctor who helped me with some Ativan for the panic attacks and sleeping as well as some citopralem(sp?) for the depression, (which was what made me relapsed the last time. I'm also following the Thomas Recipe, which seems to be working wonders, highly recommended it.

    As for the symptoms I've having? Def. zero energy but getting better,My shoulders are't slouched over anymore and I'm starting to walk with purpose and stride. I haven't had any physical symptoms like vomiting, ********ting myself or night sweats. I have the occasional bout of restless leg syndrome, but I can battle thru that. I've getting 6 to 8 hours a night of sleep plus a nap during the day which def. helps. My diet has been very clean and I' m taking 2 walks a day as well to get my energy levels back up.

    Now I know that still really early into this ans anything can happen at any tine, but i'm prepared for that. It just seems that I'm doing incredible and hoping everyday gets better. I know I can do this and I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Baby steps.
    Congratulations, I wish you complete success. No doubt alot has to do with all the loving support you have and your positive attitude. Fortunately you have only been using for 6months. I have read the Thomas recipe but admit not to have been brave enough to go it. I have been using 120 -160 for just over 5yrs, and am just now going to start with Suboxone . With it, God and the support of the amazing friends on this site I am going to kick it too. See you at the end of that tunnel.

  25. #25
    parradise is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default thank you.

    I have just been reading through this thread... tears in my eyes because you all truly understand the hell i'm going though....

    I was using 80-160 mg a day and I got fired from my job on thursday...my boss knew exactly what i was doing and accused me of being out of control... since then ive done a 20 a day and the pain is awful... ive been using for 3 years and ive quit once before, when i was a year in.... i had quit for 2 months then started again. so now i'm kind of on day 5 of at least bringing it down....

    i know i cant go completely cold turkey this time, i'm in my first year of college and my parents have no idea whats going on. ive been playing sick the past few days and i just came back from going in to school just to write a math test.

    reading this thread and hearing about your days means so much to me and it might just be the depression or something but just typing this is making me cry so hard.... thank you so much for giving me some semblence of hope for myself...

  26. #26
    Paiste is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parradise View Post
    I have just been reading through this thread... tears in my eyes because you all truly understand the hell i'm going though....

    I was using 80-160 mg a day and I got fired from my job on thursday...my boss knew exactly what i was doing and accused me of being out of control... since then ive done a 20 a day and the pain is awful... ive been using for 3 years and ive quit once before, when i was a year in.... i had quit for 2 months then started again. so now i'm kind of on day 5 of at least bringing it down....

    i know i cant go completely cold turkey this time, i'm in my first year of college and my parents have no idea whats going on. ive been playing sick the past few days and i just came back from going in to school just to write a math test.
    reading this thread and hearing about your days means so much to me and it might just be the depression or something but just typing this is making me cry so hard.... thank you so much for giving me some semblence of hope for myself...
    This is my second time quitting cold turkey and it doesn't get any easier but I know that I have to do it because it has done some much damage to my life in such a short time. (what an evil, evil drug!) I'm on day 12 now, so I'm doing pretty good. The temptation to use is there almost on a daily basis still, but I just power through it. It's not easy though!! I'm still really tired all of the time but that will pass. I'm really excited to start feeling normal soon and that's my goal not to use.

    You can do this, whether you need opiate replacement or cold turkey, there are better days ahead for you, I promise. This board has been a great support system for me, so I encourage you to post whenever you need some advice or support. I told my parents and they were there for me 100%. I know everybody's family isn't the same, but if they love you (which I'm sure they do) they will only want to see you get better. Parents are an amazing support system. Good luck, you can do this. There are alot of people here in the same position as we are.

  27. #27
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parradise View Post
    I have just been reading through this thread... tears in my eyes because you all truly understand the hell i'm going though....

    I was using 80-160 mg a day and I got fired from my job on thursday...my boss knew exactly what i was doing and accused me of being out of control... since then ive done a 20 a day and the pain is awful... ive been using for 3 years and ive quit once before, when i was a year in.... i had quit for 2 months then started again. so now i'm kind of on day 5 of at least bringing it down....

    i know i cant go completely cold turkey this time, i'm in my first year of college and my parents have no idea whats going on. ive been playing sick the past few days and i just came back from going in to school just to write a math test.

    reading this thread and hearing about your days means so much to me and it might just be the depression or something but just typing this is making me cry so hard.... thank you so much for giving me some semblence of hope for myself...
    Parradise: 80-160mg a day of what? Do you mean you are now down to 20mg? Start a thread and let's help you get off this devil's drug. Yeah, you start taking this drug thinking that it makes life all good, you feel great and then wham! Depression. At least that's what it was like for me. Like you, I started taking vic's for a knee injury and migraines. I'm lucky I never got fired looking back. I know you are school. Do you mean college? Melinda and some others are good at planning tapers, I never could do it myself, it had to be c/t. Do some research.You can do an opiate replacement using subs and then taper down, many here have done that successfully. Read the instructions in "Featured Conditions" to get an idea of what to expcet. Or you can c/t it. If you are down to 20mg. of whatever it shouldn't be all that bad. don't get me wrong, it sucks. Read through the Thomas Recipe. If you're in college and go on break and decide on c/t you can always claim the flu. Plus there are plenty of people on here who did c/t and worked the whole time through. What I'm trying to say more than anything else is that you sound like a wonderful young woman and you can do this, either through subs or c/t. But do it!! Don't let your fears get in your way. The fear, depression, etc pass and as you get clean, everyday gets better. Read some of the posts, you'll see that that is true. You can also post here anytime, this community is very supportive. Even if you're still using, try a NA meeting or Christian Recovery to help get advice and support. But get clean. It's the best thing you will ever do for yourself and you will find a) you cope better and b) a whole better you. You can do this thing, you are much stronger than you think.

    Peace

    IloeRose

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22