• 2 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By chigger2
  • 3 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 2 Post By David1243
Need some advice please
    David1243 is offline New Member

Default Need some advice please

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions I have.

I started taking Codeine Phosphate at age 15 and I'm now 36. The amount has fluctuated over the years but for the past 5 years I've kept it down to 600mg a day (40 X 15mg tablets spread out in three lots over the day). I'm in Australia so I can get OTC tablets with 500mg paracetamol + 15 mg codeine phosphate (I'm not sure if that's the case in the USA).

I just finished day 5 of WD's. Well actually that's one of the things I want some advice on. I had my last normal dose on Friday night but on Sunday night I cracked and took some again although not as much as usual (only 120 mg). Its 1 AM on Thursday morning here now and my WD's are still pretty severe. Haven't slept for over 65 hours now and tonights not looking promising. The main problem is the RLS which is stopping me from sleeping but I'm actually getting it in my upper arms/shoulders more than my legs. I also have fever, runny nose, cough, sneezing and headache. I was expecting all this to be over by now.

Any thoughts on how much longer it will last? Should I be considering myself as only starting day 4 because I took more on Sunday?

Has putting a bar of soap under the blanket worked for anyone else's RLS here? Any other ideas on RLS relief? Its too late for me to get to the shop or pharmacy. Its also important that I get this finished as quickly as possible because I need to go back to work next week.

I've tried a hot bath with Radox which helped but effects didn't last long enough for me to get to sleep.

Does Imodium help with RLS and if so will it drag out the WD's i.e. making them milder but last longer?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hello David, welcome to the forum! That's quite a few pills you were taking daily. Not outrageous, but plenty of them. You've been taking the high doses for 5 years, but it's been over 20 years overall. That's a pretty big habit. In most cases the symptoms can last for around a week to 10 days with days 3-4 usually being the worst of it. After that every day should get better and better. It's obviously going to take more time before you feel better. But it will David.

Here's what you might try to help ease the WD's. Exercise is the #1 remedy. The more exercise you get on a daily basis the better you'll begin feeling because you need those endorphins to begin working to their full extent. The drugs have surpressed them for years while you were using. The faster they get working the faster you'll notice a difference in how you feel. Drink LOTS of fluids especially water. You need to stay well hydrated and it helps to flush out the remaining toxins. Eat or drink lots of protein for energy. Protein shakes are wonderful to get you moving in the morning. Make you own or buy some good ones. Eating foods that are protein bases really helps. Listening to your favorite music helps more than many realize. It keeps your mind occupied and not thinking about how miserable you are all the time. Get out of the house and get moving. Sitting around watching the clock will make minutes seem like hours. Do what you can.

For the RLS....we have a OTC product in the US called Hylands Restful Legs that you can get from any pharmacy. Many say it's great! You also could take some magnesium and pottasium supplements and eat bananas to help calm the RLS down. Some put hearing pads on theirl egs at night before bedtime. I'll tell you what worked best for me.....and that was tiring my legs completely out right before going to sleep. I either jogged outside or ran on my treadmill or did other leg exercises. The object is to tire your legs out so much they too have to sleep. It really worked great! I think a combination of all these suggestions would help the most.

So give it a little more time David and you should begin noticing improvement in how you're feeling. Hope this helps. Let us know how you're doing by posting often. Posting also helps to get your thoughts and feeling out. Take care and best wishes!

-Randy
    MzD and Iluv2smile like this.

MzD
    MzD is offline New Member

Hi David...

I'm on Day 3 of opiate wd and last night began my RLS. Not sure about the bar of soap or the Immodium, but what absolutely worked for me was wrapping one of my heating pads around each leg taking turns for about 20 min in total between both legs and lightly massaging them while the heating pad was on them. Sure enough, it calmed mine down ALOT, enough so it allowed me to at least get 5 - 6 hours of sleep waking up here and there to realign my body (since its still in alot of pain) and readjusting the heating pad. I'm sure others on here have tried the other methods you mentioned and will come by and give you their advice on it. Good luck and be well friend!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-08-2015 at 11:05 AM.

chigger2 is offline Member

Hi David,

Just jumping in here to answer your question about the RLS. I like you, didn't have that much in my legs, but my upper arms and shoulders, yes, I have it bad up their. I refer to having kind of like a rocking sensation going on inside. I think it muscle tension on overload, too much adrenaline, ugh the dreaded word adrenaline. So, yes i have that also, it will leave as time progresses. I have so say in this journey, everyone has different sensations, going on in their bodies.

I hope i helped ease your mind about that one issue.

stay strong and keep fighting
    chig
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi David,

I too had RLS and I did the things Randy suggested and they helped ..
    They do get better..

The Imodium will probaly help because it is an opiate but doesn't cross the blood brain barrier..
    I would not take too much
    Or
    Use it For more than 2-3 days ..
    If all else fails..

I definitely thing you will be ok by Monday..

It will come and go because you had quite a habit..
    Hopefully you won't get discouraged
    But
    I would find some face to face support
    NA AA PA

They all come from the same big book ..
    Some steps were written by Drs ..
    after doing years of research on the value of one addict / alcoholic helping another..

Because I don't think they are going to stop selling your DOC. OTC in Austraila..

That would be a trigger for me..

You are doing a great jobs...

Millions of addicted people never get any reprieve from their addiction!

The suggestions that Randy gave you many of us have continued well into our clean time..
    Our bodies need to be nurtured..
    Not only did our habits grow
    But
    We got older too! Lol

You never have to go through this again ...
    If that is your plan
    To stay clean?

Take care
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-08-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo
    Randy35, MzD and Mm1978 like this.

Thanks so much for the advice and the kind words.

I managed to fall asleep for 4 hours at 2.30. Even 4 hours has made such a huge difference. I just took another hot shower and went straight to bed. The RLS started to come back just before I went to sleep but I think I only felt two waves of it so I think I was asleep just in time.

I feel so much better today. It's such a relief.

I still have symptoms as though I have a bad cold and they seem to be getting worse. I'm constantly sneezing, coughing, runny nose and chest congestion. I'm starting to think I might actually have a cold and maybe it's not just WD's? Is it normal to have chest congestion etc from withdrawals?

Once again thankyou all so much for the advice. I've spent most of my sleepless hours reading posts on this forum and it's been a huge help. It kept my mind off giving up and I probably would have by now had I not found this site. Last night I threw out all my remaining tablets (260 of them). It really feels like I'm over the worst of it.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-08-2015 at 06:03 PM.
    Iluv2smile and MzD like this.

Melina123 is offline Senior Member

Hi David
    I didnt really have much in the way of RLS as I did in hospital detox.
    Just wanted to say welcome and congrats on getting clean. Keep up the good work, we are here for you buddy!
    Mel

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Yes
    I got a cold when I jumped from suboxone..
    But sneezing can come and go for awhile..
    Congrats!

MzD
    MzD is offline New Member

As Iluv stated above....yes....its normal to feel like or get a cold. I'm still sneezing and have a bit of a running nose and everything else that comes with flu-like symptoms. I just tell myself its all part of the wd process and fight thru it best way possible. At least it gives me an excuse to allow my body probably much needed rest....if nothing else. Others manage to stay busy and exercise and do all other kinds of things to fight thru it. Whatever it takes just continue to keep pushing thru! We're rooting for ya!

Ranosys is offline New Member

The above discussions is useful if any such problem.

Good morning all its just after midnight here so I've got through another day. Today was pretty good I took the kids to the zoo for a few hours and then came home pretty tired. During the day the only symptoms I had were the cold/flu like symptoms which were very manageable on their own.

To help me get to sleep at night I went out and got some Unisom (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) which I think you guys in the USA would know as Benedryl.

I took 1 X 50mg tablet earlier this evening but it didn't help me getting to sleep so I took another one a few hours later. As it turns out this wasn't a good idea its made me very tired but it also seems to have made the RLS worse (or its just worse by coincidence and the Unisom hasn't helped). Either way its the middle of the night and I'm awake again. Thinking about going for a walk.