• 1 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By Catherine120813
  • 2 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 2 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
hydrocodone taper >> cold turkey???
    barne1263 is offline New Member

Default hydrocodone taper >> cold turkey???

Hello. I'll make this short as possible. I get 100 10mg norcos per month. Have been taking them daily about 3 years. In the last 4 month s I've climbed up to 4-6 day which has to stop. I keep going back and forth on a taper plan >> cold turkey. I made it 24 hours last week and when my legs started with excruciating pain and uncontrollable sweating I caved. So here I am. I'm stuck. I know I'm not at super high levels but my tolerance is getting stronger so so fast I know I'm just making this worse the longer I drag it on. I just am terrified of how to get through the worst pain. So I have never met anyone who tapered and I really don't know it that makes it easier or just prolongs the pain. I just want to get through this with as little pain as possible I know that's probably unrealistic but I'm terrified. Also just to add I started taking these when I got cancer I'm only 25 but the cancer is gone but complications from surgery leave drs willing to prescribe. So please anyone give me some honest advice on if tapering works how to do it or if its not even helpful. Thank you very much.

Catherine120813 is offline Senior Member

I will say, flat out, CT is the best. 5 days and you are out of the woods.
    Day 1, bearable
    Day 2,3 not fun
    Day 4 a little improvement
    Day 5, much better

Then, it is staying off the stuff.

To help you through the 5 days:
    The Thomas Recipe (google it)
    EXERCISE!! You won't want to, but DO IT!!
    Hot showers/tub, however many a day.
    Sleep will be hard. Get a jigsaw puzzle, because you won't be able to concentrate on much else.

If you quit today, by Thursday you should start to feel better.

My humble opinion only. Others will be along!

You can do it!! Catherine
    iloerose likes this.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

You have to have a very strong will power to taper. You have to be 100% committed!!!! Being honest with your self is crucial. I can't tell you how long it will take as that depends on you and how much your body needs to stabilize out. I can tell you I tapered completely off hydros and did not have any wd. I took a littke while because I was on trams and waited to stabilize off those for three weeks before I dropped doses.

It's up to you and if you want to just bite the bullet and get it over with or drag it out and not deal with wd. If you decide to taper then I can help with hints as to what worked for me. If you decide to jump many around here will support you. Either way if you keep posting you will have support to get off. I woukd start taking vitamins and getting into a routine of excercise if you are not currently doing that.

Thank you so very much. I can't tell you how good it felt it read responses. I typed that earlier when I didn't know what to do and was on the fence of taking one or continuing without. My last dose was yesterday 8pm so I'm almost 19 hours and keep thinking a taper would be do easy but I read on other threads they can also be excrutiating. I don't want to use tramadol or suboxone or anything. I do have a prescription for xanax but never used them before. Ill start to come up with a taper schedule in my head as an excuse to take one but then I think by next weekend I could feel normal again if I ride out. I'm such a baby I'm not even at 24 hours and I'm all sweaty stuck on the couch. Ots hard to imagine what others at higher levels have gone through. My husband is so supportive taking care of me I know I need to suck it up and move around I'm so so used to staying in bed until my morning dose gives me energy and then staying busy all day so to get up and be active seems crazy even though everyone swears by it. Thank you for responses it helps more than I ever thought
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-25-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Catherine120813 likes this.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

At almost 24 housr in you need to ride the storm out. It won't be that bad your not on that high of doses and age is on your side. Honestly the anticioation and fear of wd is almost worse than they can be. Try and keep busy and keep fluids in you and eat. It will help more than anything. Congrats on getting off!!!

Bri9195 is offline Member

Hi barne, I was doing just a little more than you and went c/t. It was not that bad. I took my last dose last Thursday 1/22 at 9pm. I felt bad from Friday at 7pm Til Saturday night around 1am. Then I fell asleep and slept until 9 am.
    I definitely recommend the Thomas Recipe. The Valium is a must.
    Thanks
    Bri
    Feel free too write me, if you want look at my post " looking for guidance".

Thank you. I'm at 22 hours my legs aren't full blown throbbing yet just super hot. Weird thing I've been starving all day so eating is not an issue. What about xanax. Should I try it or not? I can't get Valium so that's it. I have lyrica too but also never tried it. Really scared to try anything new. I'm feeling a bit more confident coming up to 24 hours but still scared. I can't take hot shower s and baths because I have Lymphedema and heat makes my leg swollen and painful so I need other alternative. Thank you all

Bri9195 is offline Member

The Xanax will help with the anxiety just like the Valium. You should read the Thomas Recipe and follow it. It really helped me.
    Good luck
    Bri

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Yes absolutely, stick with the cold turkey, it will be over with very soon. If you want the least amount of total pain it's the way to go. A spike of feeling bad then it's all over with where with tapering you just feel yucky for a long time, never the spike but if you total the area under the curve it's WAY bigger. The only reason for tapering is if you cannot find a few days to have "the flu" and must function at full capacity all the time. As for the xanax if it were me I'd save it for bedtime.

You are doing the right thing, with your lymphedema and history, you want to be as drug free as possible so if you have future complications the drugs will be effective again at normal doses, but hopefully the cancer will never come back, congratulations for beating it!!!! You can't imagine how happy I am about that for very personal reasons.

Wow I underestimated the value of input on this site. I just keep coming and being very encouraged by everyone's responses. Im feeling okay still not overwhelmed or curling in pain so I'm happy and proud. 25 hours doesn't seem much but its the longest I've gone in years so its something. I just remembered I have robaxin muscle relaxer prescription that I've never touched. So my question is should I do that or xanax for sleep. Usually rls and aches keep me tossing and turning but I don't know what medication would best help with tonight. Anyone know which is best? Thank you guy very much. The encouragement is givinge strength.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

The thing about this is attitude. Don't dwell on your symptoms: push through them the symptoms will go away. Any exercise you can get, even if it's a walk down the block and back will help. I'm not saying not to post about your symptoms: this is your thread, what I'm saying is that this is doable. You have to WANT IT and WANT IT bad. Take some motrin or tylenol and try some hyland's restful leg for the RLS. You can use the xanax, but keep it low and don't take it if you don't need it: xanax w/d is not fun and makes what you're going through look like stubbing your toe. You can do this. Day three is usually the worst and you should start coming out of this around days 4-5.
    Stay strong!!

Peace,

Iloerose

oldskooler is offline Banned

I wish you the best of luck, but i'd stay away from the Xanax. They're extremely addictive, although I never had any kind of withdrawl other than depression/lethargy for a few weeks coming off of them and I was eating like 20mg a day which is ridiculous. The muscle relaxed you said you have will come in handy with the legs/back aches, especially if you cant take the hot showers. I dont know if its worse to withdraw in the winter and be cold or the summer and deal with the heat. But with the cold I get goosebumps on my thighs to the point they hurt, while im sweating. Wonder if the vitamins help that at all?

Barne, how are you doing!? I am so proud of you that you are trying C/T. If you have decided to try to taper, that is OK too. Just KEEP POSTING!! (For one thing it keeps your thread active). The great part of this site is that collectively, we have all been there, done that.

Get off that couch, take a hot shower and exercise! Then rest a few minutes and do it all over again. Just think, every minute you are closer to being free of these drugs. Yay, you!

Catherine

Thank you. I'm a little past 43 hours. A shower did wonders but I'm pretty much trying to take one minute at a time. I want to feel something good. A few days feels so long. I slept surprisingly well after I took .5 mg xanax but only took at bedtime. I'm just blah today. Still thinking a taper would have been easier but that's the part of me that's want an energy boost. I know it could be worse.

Barne, you are doing well!! More showers, and get that exercise, even if it is only a walk around the house. That's how I got started walking at the mall, LOL!!

OMG, Keep Going!! It is already Monday afternoon. Do NOT let the evil voices get to you. A taper WOULDN'T have been easier. Longer, and for those who can do it, maybe easier, but I cannot imagine most who have done it successfully, didn't obsess about taking "just a little bit" sooner than they should have on their plan. I tried tapering several times (without success) and now, I just wish I had those half-experienced days back.

Rest a bit, but keep moving in between.
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by barne1263 View Post
    Thank you. I'm a little past 43 hours. A shower did wonders but I'm pretty much trying to take one minute at a time. I want to feel something good. A few days feels so long. I slept surprisingly well after I took .5 mg xanax but only took at bedtime. I'm just blah today. Still thinking a taper would have been easier but that's the part of me that's want an energy boost. I know it could be worse.

Congratulations on making the best decision you'll ever make! Keep right on plowing through the symptoms because they just won't last!!! You've made it nearly 2 days and that's AWESOME!!! Now is when you REALLY have to dig in and fight because day 3 is often times the worst day in this process. Make it past day 3 and every day after gets better and better.

I've been there so mnay times and you absolutely did the right thing with a CT verses tapering. Tapering opiates is one tough job to maintain. It really prolongs the suffering because you'll still have symptoms even though you're dosing daily. If you're gonna suffer why not do it being CLEAN!!!

Tapering takes such mind control because you have those pills begging you to take an "extra" one when things get rough. I could never taper successfully and I tried many, many times. If the pills were there i would gobble them all down as fast as I could and tell myself when I got more I would taper then. Yeah, right, never happened!!!

Hot showers are great. The one thing that really makes a huge difference is getting a little exercise each day. You don't have to run 5 miles or lift 200 lbs over and over. Just a simple walk does wonders. You want to get your endorphins moving and exercise is key to that. You won;t feel like even moving let alone exercising, but it's crucial to getting past this process. It just flat out helps!!!

Careful with the benzo's. They will hook you before you know what happened. A benzo detox is many times worse than any opiate detox I know from experience! Just be very, very careful and if you have to take it try only a coupe days.

Hang in there and whatever you do DON'T take another pill no matter how bad it gets. Remember, one is too many and a thousand is never enough!! Fact!

-Randy

Yatyat is offline New Member

I wish everyone good luck. I have decided after being on my rx for Percocet for over a year it's time to say enough. I am was taking 2-3 pills a day at 10mg tabs. These are prescribed but didn't even fill my last month pills at all, I started tapering because I am still trying to work so I was down to two a day but my last pill now was at 11:30 last night because I couldn't sleep after 4 tyenol pm. I have not slept in so long I have forgot what it is like, I didn't have to work today so I didn't take any more pills, but not sure what I will feel like in the morning. I did go buy the Thomas recipe items except I am not taking any Xanax or anything. I walk down the long drive and back and that is about all the moving I feel like doing. Imbodian ad is my best friend, taken 4 pills already today, I will decide if I am going to take one pill tomorrow so I can work and go cold turkey this coming Friday when I can have days off.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatyat View Post
    I wish everyone good luck. I have decided after being on my rx for Percocet for over a year it's time to say enough. I am was taking 2-3 pills a day at 10mg tabs. These are prescribed but didn't even fill my last month pills at all, I started tapering because I am still trying to work so I was down to two a day but my last pill now was at 11:30 last night because I couldn't sleep after 4 tyenol pm. I have not slept in so long I have forgot what it is like, I didn't have to work today so I didn't take any more pills, but not sure what I will feel like in the morning. I did go buy the Thomas recipe items except I am not taking any Xanax or anything. I walk down the long drive and back and that is about all the moving I feel like doing. Imbodian ad is my best friend, taken 4 pills already today, I will decide if I am going to take one pill tomorrow so I can work and go cold turkey this coming Friday when I can have days off.

Hey there, welcome to you! How awesome to leave that last fill alone! Great job there! You should make a new thread for yourself in this same Need to Talk forum. Go to the main page of Need to Talk and look up near the top left side for the Post New Thread box. Just click on that and you'll get tons of support along the way!

Same advice for you too - keep fighting and the symptoms WILL pass soon. LOTS of fluids, especially water, exercise and some protein will alos help. Good to leave the benzo out of the recipe. Those thigs scrare me to death. I'll look for a new thread of your soon!

-Randy

Ugh. I failed. Don't even know what to say anymore. I was almost halfway through. What the hell is wrong with me. I'm afraid I'm going to spend the rest of my life on these.even if its just 3-4 a day I just can't imagine life without it. How could that happen when its only been a few years. Idk. .

Barne, do not be hard on yourself; MOST of us fail. It's the "getting up" that counts. Start again today and you will be on your way again. You know how to do this and it is NOT EASY. Never will be. Not your fault that you got addicted, but you can get through the withdrawals.

Start again; we are all in your corner!
    Thisweekforsure and Randy35 like this.

Ugh. I failed. Don't even know what to say anymore. I was almost halfway through. What the hell is wrong with me. I'm afraid I'm going to spend the rest of my life on these.even if its just 3-4 a day I just can't imagine life without it. How could that happen when its only been a few years. Idk. .
    YOU DIDN'T FAIL. It's not a contest where you have to perform 100%. You got through a couple days of withdrawal and actually were probably much more than halfway through the worst. Your brain was busy readjusting your transmitters. It was getting ready to start providing the natural endorphins. It's still ready. Just stop again NOW and you won't have wasted all that progress. I do not believe you are starting at square one. You have already climbed partly out the hole but have NOT been knocked all the way back to the bottom, just down a peg. So keep climbing! You are closer than you think.
    Randy35 and Catherine120813 like this.

You didn't fail, relapse is part of this process, and like Robert use to always say - this is a process and not an event. It's so true.

If I had given up every time I relapsed I wouldn't be here today with over 6 months clean. We fight and fight and fight until it happens. And it WILL happen.

Just get right back up, dust yourself off, and get right back at it as Catherine and Thisweekforsure said. Don't let the BEAST beat YOU. YOU can WIN this battle and you know it!

-Randy

My husband is so supportive taking care of me I know I need to suck it up and move around I'm so so used to staying in bed until my morning dose gives me energy and then staying busy all day so to get up and be active seems crazy even though everyone swears by it.
    it's true that moving around is far better for you but don't fall into the trap of EXPECTING yourself to move around and "function". For me, that spelled failure, if I thought I "had" to do a load of laundry or fix a meal or anyone else was expecting anything of me. If all you can force yourself to do is lie in bed and that's what it takes to endure withdrawal then just do that. Like you I have a supportive husband, take advantage of that. Let him fix his own meals, let your activities and movements be only self care. Showers, short walks out in the sun. Even if you just go stand outside for a few seconds in your jammies. Try doing that every couple hours. Watch TV, read books, things that take your mind off your symptoms and just kills time.

I went back and read your first post, you are taking only 40-60 mg per day at that level only 4 months. You will not descend into an absolute hell. You FEEL like you will, this is anxiety and it is normal. It is the anticipation of the unknown and it is just a mind trip, that's all. The reality (for you, at your dose) will never get worse than you felt when you caved. Do it again and push through that moment. It'll get better way faster than you think. Lock your pills away or flush them. (For most addicts you should flush them but in your case with severe health problems and unknown future, unless you (after honest soul searching) do conclude you are an out-of-control addict) if it were me I'd hang on to them until my five year anniversary. But then I'm a person who never thinks about them when I'm not currently taking them.

YOU CAN DO THIS.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-27-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    Catherine120813 and Randy35 like this.

I agree with Catherine and Randy, we're all saying the same thing. "We all fail", or "relapse is part of the process", or as I put it, sometimes getting off is a jagged up and down curve like a stock market chart. Although I refer to "tapering" when I say that, if you go through 2 days of cold turkey, then have a little blip upward on the chart, then zero again, so what??? The problem with caving and taking a dose is if it leads you to the next in four hours and the next, and that goes on for a couple days or a week, then you quickly are right back where you started. (This is one of the things that might distinguish you being an addict >> being a pain patient who became physically dependent - whether the lapse leads to out-of-control use again or not.) If you want to be off them and you have a few days (no job or other responsibility) do it. What happened is normal, either way. You got this.
    Randy35 likes this.