Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Failure to Warn about SSRIs & Alcohol

Default Failure to Warn about SSRIs & Alcohol

This is my first message, but an important topic.

As a criminal defense attorney, I see hundreds of clients annually who obtain medications from their physician for anxiety, sleep disorders or depression, yet are not warned to consume NO ALCOHOL when taking these medications. The synergistic effects caused by combining ANY amount of alcohol and these drugs can be devastating for the patient who is surprised to find himself or herself in jail for DUI-DWI, or even vehicular homicide. Blackout, seizures or major amnesia episodes are common. Effexor is currently involved with three of my clients, with others using various common SSRIs and benzodiazepines.

See my recent article that was published in the DWI Journal, warning attorneys to be aware of this phenomenon. A safe practice for physicians would be to warn every patient not to drink alcohol while on these medications. You should draw up a written acknowledgement for any patient being given these medications indicating that the patient has been told to consume NO ALCOHOL while taking these medications. Have each patient sign the ackowledgement.

The article can be found at either of these two sites:

William C. Head
    Attorney at Law
    DUIMAVEN
    Last edited by ddcmod3; 10-20-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Dorothyanne,

This issue (mixing alcohol and SSRI drugs) is a powder keg of legal problems. I have been speaking about this for several years, but need a better way to "reach" the public. I was hoping that one of the networks might investigate it, so that the message would be widely disseminated.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-18-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Dorothyanne,

Here story is repeated 1000 times per week or more across the USA. She is one of the fortunate ones who was intercepted before either an accident or an arrest for DUI-drugs or DUI-drugs & alcohol.

Good luck in helping here stay out of trouble.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-18-2016 at 03:09 PM.

laurharv is offline New Member

This is so alarming. I had similar experiences of waking up and remebering nothing, I would cause arguments and be in fights that I did not intend or remeber the next day. I thought I was going insane, but I was simply drinking while taking effexor. This is so scary!

I have interviewed several clients (mostly male but some females) who also were thrown out of establishments for conduct the client does not even recall. Fighting. Bad language. Provoking arguments. The blackout syndrome is far more powerful and pervasive than any "warning" materials from the manufacturer of Effexor describes.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-18-2016 at 03:10 PM.

laurharv is offline New Member

Thanks for the information. Although, I was never in a physcal fiht or anything, but I would have serius discussions with my boyfriend about feelings that I didn't even have. I am down to my last 4 days of 37.5 mg. I am so excited to get off of this medication. I am willing to take back all the agitation and panic attacks to have a normal social life again. The dreams are also particularly alarming. I am just very much comforted by teh fact that this isn't specific to me, and that others have had similar experiences. Should my doctor have known about all of these things or is this something that the drug manufacturer is keeping secret?

I don't know how much the manufacturer knows, because I do not know if they tested "real world" situations. The concern I am raising is the public safety issue that doctors and pharmacists generally DON'T raise the point with patients. This is a time bomb waiting to happen.

Personal stories like yours are numerous, where anomalous behaviorial acts have been reported, including bizarre discussions (like you seem to have had with your boyfriend), and possibly with other friends.

Possibly another medication might have fewer side effects, such as the dreams. But, NONE of these drugs will be safe with alcohol.

A Siddiqui is offline New Member

I have been reading this thread and it scares me. I am on 225 mg of Effexor XR for anxiety primarily. I have not noticed that it has improved my anxiety or depression. What I have noticed is that my drinking habits have changed drastically. Part of that is due to certain personal and professional pressures that have come to bear this year. However, in the past, i.e., before Effexor, I would never binge drink. In the past couple of months, my drinking has increased and in the past two weeks I have binged twice. The last time I binged, I do not recall driving home, stopping off at some point and picking up food to go, going home and eating the food with one of my brothers for a period of 30-45 minutes. Also that night, I apparently made several calls and even had a conversation with a friend that I don't remember.

This has never happened before. Is there some correlation between Effexor and increased drinking or binge drinking? I would really appreciate a response.

2Bcrazed is offline New Member

This is EXCELLENT info. I appreciate your posting it. I have to ask about the inclusion of a photo of WELLBUTRIN in your article (since it is not an SSRI). My understanding about Wellbutrin and alcohol is that combining them increases the risk of seizure. (I am asking b/c I do drink sometimes and I take Wellbutrin.)

Since we're on the subject, I'd like to add that AMBIEN has some SERIOUS problems that are not being identified. I have taken AMBIEN on and off for over 2 years. AMBIEN made me do some really stupid things and my doctor never once warned me.

I am so BLESSED that the last time I took it and did something INCREDIBLY STUPID, I did not get ARRESTED or worse, hurt someone. AMBIEN has always lowered my inhibitions, even more than alcohol.
    For me, it's like getting a great buzz. Even though you are supposed to go to sleep, I would stay up to enjoy the buzz (even if my original intent was to go straight to bed). I would ALWAYS have AMNESIA of what I had done including conversations, purchases on the internet, etc. That last really STUPID thing I did was I took it and then decided to DRIVE to the store to get cigarettes. I had DOUBLE VISION. I can remember that. But my inhibitions were so low that I was STUPID enough to get behind a wheel. I vaguely remember going down the road, trying to see the road, as my vision was DOUBLED.

I talked to a friend the next day and she stayed with me on the phone til I threw every last AMBIEN I had left down the toilet. I hate to admit this but it was hard. I think Ambien is addictive too. I loved how it made me feel but it's obviously a VERY DANGEROUS MEDICATION.

Your response is very typical of what I hear from clients on a regular basis. If you need any good books to learn more, let me know. I can suggest several.

Recent DWI is offline New Member

I can confirm all of these inquiries about the "blackouts" associated w/ Effexor. I was arrested for DWI about a month ago and can honestly say that I don't even remember getting pulled over by the officer. I have been on the drug for about 2 years now and have experienced several blackouts during this period. Prior to getting on Effexor, I never had a problem holding my alcohol or remember what happened the night before. I ended up blowing a .23 on the breathalizer (which I don't remember taking either). I was also videotaped at the police station and I can't remember that. These blackouts come w/out any warning. You basically go from drinking and having a good time w/ your friends to not remembering the last 2-3 hours of the night. Again, this was not a one time incident of me drinking way too much. This has happened many times while on the medication. Any advice or similar defenses used in DWI cases would be extremely helpful to share w/ my attorney.

thanks,
    RD

concerned_cdn_wife is offline New Member

Good day Mr.Head,
    My husband is currently on Effexor and does not take to heart that mixing alcohol is not only making him act different during his intoxication, but also afterwards for days on end; Obviously the depressant is counteracting the antidepressant. He honestly doesn't drink too much when he drinks, maybe a few glasses of wine or beer but it still makes a difference. Also, he does do what I've read is called "binging" (sometimes) where he just drinks all night until all of the alcohol is gone and he is totally incapacitated and falls asleep on the couch or floor in front of the TV or fireplace. I don't mention all of this because I'm looking for advice, I just wanted to contribute my information so that other people can see what it does to a family. Canada is no different than the USA when we're talking about health and wellness and especially how mixing Effexor (or drugs) and alcohol can ruin you. This is tearing our wonderful, loving marriage apart, it's making our children become visably immune to loud verbal arguements (although I'm sure harming them internally) and it has the definate potential to harm my husband's health. I speak frankly because I am an Effexor medicated woman who is reaping the rewards of the medication. It has changed my life for the better, as it should when used properly. I hope that your readers take to heart the problems I've mentioned that this mis-use is causing our lives. If it scares them, it should. My main reason for contact: Could you please refer some of the literature regarding this topic that you had previously suggested to another subscriber? Thank you.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I wouldn't be to concerned with effexor, your husband is showing very typical signs of alcoholism.Have you sat down and asked him if he thinks he may have a problem with booze.I wish you well, by the way, you can phone (if your in Ontario) The Ontario drug and alcohol treatment information line (DART).If your in another province you can look in the yellow pages under addiction information.........Keep us informed if you want...........Dave

Miles is offline Member

There is now evidence SSRI antidepressants such as Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft cause brain damage: In his book Prozac Backlash, published in 2000, Joseph Glenmullen, M.D., clinical instructor in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, says: "In recent years, the danger of long-term side effects has emerged in association with Prozac-type drugs, making it imperative to minimize one's exposure to them. Neurological disorders including disfiguring facial and whole body tics, indicating potential brain damage, are an increasing concern with patients on the drugs. ... With related drugs targeting serotonin, there is evidence that they may effect a 'chemical lobotomy' by destroying the nerve endings that they target in the brain." He compares brain damage that seems to be caused by SSRI antidepressants (including but not limited to Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft) to that caused by neuroleptic/major tranquilizer drugs like Thorazine, Prolixin, and Haldol. He presents evidence that the so-called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are not selective for serotonin but affect other chemicals in the brain, including dopamine.

Don't trust the shrinks! They are killing you! Say NO to psychiatry!

MVPT,

I agree that your husband is an alcoholic. In nearly 30 years of reviewing files for clients, covering over 10,000 people charged with DUI, this pattern of drinking (as well as the behavioral issues) point to problems with alcohol.

Get an experienced counselor involved. He can turn things around.

geralvon is offline New Member

People say a lot of things and infer a lot of things as if they are fact. As far as I know there are no scientific studies showing that Zoloft, Prozac, etc. plus a couple of cans of beer or a couple of usual sized cocktails are a cause of impaired functioning. I believe there are some studies which suggest that Zoloft, Prozac, etc. have some minor deleterious effects on brain functioning. And nobody knows what another ten years of use of these drugs may cause. But the overwhelming majority of cases of drinking plus a drug ending up in an accident are due to the drinking alone, that is, drinking more than a couple. Excess alcohol alone is the problem - not Zoloft. If you really think the combo is the cause, then do some scientific studies worthy of publication in a scientific journal. Until then I feel the idea is another myth.

Geralvon,

Some studies have been done, but not on each drug. Reactions to the "combination" are worse for persons just beginning the SSRI drugs than someone who has adapted to it (obtained some tolerance).

I don't assume that you are a pharmacologist by profession, are you?

I will get published information and links to post here as things develop.

GeoStacken is offline New Member

Folks,
    Be very wary of what this "lawyer" is trying to do. He's baiting the situition trying to drum up support for a class action law suit against drug companies. Since it is illegal for a lawyer to solicit a case (it's ok to solicit to bring an already filed suit though), this "lawyer" is trying to prey on your fears. Firstly, pill bottles from a reputable pharmacy has a warning lable on it about SSRI's + Alcohol. Secondly, you shouldn't drink alcohol + SSRI's because alsochol is a depressant and if you are on an SSRI then you are clinically depressed, so alcohol will depress you further. Thirdly, when are some people goning to learn to take actions for themselves in the first place - i.e., put the bottle down, you lushes. Alcohol is bad for you no matter what, whether you are on an SSRI makes no difference. If you are drinking to the point you pass out, you need deep psychological counseling. Do you drink to repress feelings of inadequacy, were you raped, molested, etc. From the earlier example, Dorthy's daughter has a serious emotional problem and one little capsule didn't push her over the edge. She, if she is like most people with psychological problems, will blame something else like "it was a small pill that made me black out, not the forty shots of whiskey she took to make her feel sexy enough to sleep with some stranger, in a way of coping with her deep seated inadequacies." Lastly, folks don't be conned by a "lawyer" drumming up business, lawyers went "law school" , not "medical school." This is why americans call them lawyers and not doctors.

GeoStacken must own stock in pharmaceutical companies, or be a potential target of civil litigation. Our firm is ALL criminal, so we do NOT sue anyone for civil damages. We are already the largest criminal defense firm in America, so we are NOT looking for business!

If my warnings don't impress you, read Consumer Reports this month (March 2005). P. 49. They warn their readers about mixing these drugs and alcohol.

Maybe GeoStacken will find that they are "biased", too.

Miles is offline Member

GeoStacken, you made the transcendent point in contemporary libertarian thought when you penned, "...when are some people goning (sic) to learn to take actions for themselves in the first place..." We are at a point in Western civilization where personal responsibility is butting up against the therapeutic state and the medicalization of virtually every aspect of human behavior. The therapeutic state would have us believe there is a medical explanation for personal irresponsibility - i.e., excuses for abberant behavior such as "I am insane," "I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and am not responsible for my ways" (one of my favorites - I muse "What does chemical [u]balance </u>look like?"), "I am an alcoholic and must be forgiven for my errant behavior," "I am depressed and cannot control myself,"... and the parlaying goes on ad nauseum.

This site is rife with such folderol! Regrettably, the therapeutic state has successfully captured the imaginations of many. Resist it! Refuse to be duped by the coercive forces that are intent on dismantling personal responsibility!

Miles,

"Personal responsibility" has no bearing on UNINTENTIONALLY getting snockered by drinking two drinks after taking certain prescribed medication that does not properly warn the patient of the synergistic effects of the combination. The people I have seen with these unintentional impairment cases are CEOs and executive VPs of major corporations, not drug addicts or drunks.

Miles is offline Member

DUIMAVEN, you write, "'Personal responsibility'" has no bearing on UNINTENTIONALLY getting snockered by drinking two drinks after taking certain prescribed medication that does not properly warn the patient of the synergistic effects of the combination.

What constitutes "proper warning" by the manufacturer? Let's see if I can follow your logic here: I buy a new automobile - there is no "proper warning" either affixed to the vehicle or within the owner's manual cautioning me that a high speed impact with a boulder may kill me - I drive it at a speed of 120 mph, crash into the boulder and die. Who is "personally responsible" for my death? What would have constituted "proper warning" in this illustration?

Casey55 is offline Member

William C. Head,

You are about as transparent as cellophane. You may fool some people but you don't fool me. There is not one single person with a drivers license that doesn't know alcohol impairs ones ability to drive safely, that is a given. All the SSRI's have label warnings on the bottles "May Cause Drowsiness Or Dizziness, do not operate dangerous machinery, Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication."

Do you have any idea how many medicines, besides SSRI's, have this affect? Why you choose to pick on SSRI's I can only imagine is because of their new popularity and that means big bucks for you.

Anyone who can read, and last time I checked anyone who owns a drivers license must know how to read, can put one and one together and come up with two. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you are taking a medicine that can impair your driving and if you drink alcohol, which can impair your driving, by putting the two together, the risk doubles. Anyone taking both of these at the same time knows they are doubling the risk for dizziness or drowsiness, and that alcohol may intensify this effect, and caution should be used caution when operating dangerous machinery.

Do you also defend people who take street drugs like >>>>>> or cocaine and drink alcohol and kill people when they get behind the wheel of a car and drive under the influence of these things? I can't help but wonder if someone who had been drinking alcohol and was also on an SSRI, drove their car into a car with your wife or one of your children were in, and killed them, if you would be so willing to defend them.

Oh yeah, and couldn't you come up with something better than accusing people who don't agree with you, working for pharmacutical companies. Oh Pleaseee.......

I have been on an SSRI for 9 years. I have always known that they can cause drowsiness and one doesn't even have to be 16 to know drinking impairs your ability to drive safely. Did you know narcotics, antidepressants other than SSRI's, muscle relaxors, anti-nausea meds,
    benzodiazepine for anxiety disorders, seizure and nerve pain meds., and trycyclic antidepressants, etc., can all cause dizziness or drowsiness, and alcohol may intensify this effect, and caution should be used when operating dangerous machinery? My point is they should be protected regardless.

Did you not know these warnings are ALREADY on the SSRI medication bottles and they have to be there because of money hungry lawyers like you?

When I had to be on several of the medicines I list below, I couldn't not drive and I don't even drink alcohol. The meds themselves made me so drowsy and sleepy, I couldn't drive. I am always responsible for myself when I drive and for the condition I am in when I do drive.

When you look them up, there are warnings on every single SSRI, it's what is printed in the books AND it's what is on the warning labels listed on my bottles........ Looks like your crusade is over and you are fresh out of law suits concerning clients on SSRI's who drink alcohol and drive and get in an accident, God forbid they hit someone else.

-Fluvoximine - an SSRI
    Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication.
    Fluvoxamine may cause you to become drowsy or less alert and may affect your judgment. Therefore, avoid driving, operating dangerous machinery, or participating in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness until you know your reaction to this medication.

-Prozac - an SSRI
    Prozac may cause you to become drowsy or less alert and may affect your judgment. Therefore, driving or operating dangerous machinery or participating in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness is not recommended.
    Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication.

-Zoloft - an SSRI
    Zoloft has not been found to impair the ability to drive or operate machinery. Nevertheless, the manufacturer recommends caution until you know how the drug affects you.
    You should not drink alcoholic beverages while taking Zoloft.

-Paxil - an SSRI
    Paxil may impair your judgment, thinking, or motor skills. Do not drive, operate dangerous machinery, or participate in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness until you are sure the medication is not affecting you in this way.
    If Paxil is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Paxil with any of the following: Alcohol

-Celexa - an SSRI
    Celexa does not increase the effects of alcohol. Nevertheless, it's considered unwise to combine Celexa with alcohol or any other drug that affects the brain.
    In recommended doses, Celexa does not seem to impair judgment or motor skills. However, a theoretical possibility of such problems remains, so you should use caution when driving or operating dangerous equipment until you are certain of Celexa's effect.

-Lexapro -an SSRI
    Lexapro makes some people sleepy. Until you know how the drug affects you, use caution when driving a car or operating other hazardous machinery.
    Although Lexapro does not interact with alcohol, the manufacturer recommends avoiding alcoholic beverages.

-Anafranil - A tricyclic antidepressant
    Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking Anafranil.

AND.....
    ON THE OTHER BOTTLES I HAVE SITTING HERE IN FRONT OF ME I FIND THESE WARNINGS...
    ------------------------------------------
    Skelaxin - A muscle relaxor

May cause dizziness or drowsiness, Alcohol may intensify this effect, use caution when using dangerous machinery.
    --------------------------------------------
    Vicodin &
    Dilaudid - A narcotic analgesic (painkiller)

May cause dizziness or drowsiness, Alcohol may intensify this effect, use caution when using dangerous machinery.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Darvocet - A mild narcotic analgesics

----------------------------------------------
    Wellbutrin - An antidepressant

May cause drowsiness, alcohol may intensify this effect,
    use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Neurontin - A to treat partial seizures and to relieve the burning nerve pain.

May cause drowsiness or dizziness
    Do Not drink alcoholic beverages when taking this medication.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Phenergan - An antihistamine that relieves nasal stuffiness and inflammation and red, inflamed eyes caused by hay fever and other allergies, a sedative and sleep aid for both children and adults, and is prescribed to prevent and control nausea and vomiting before and after surgery and to prevent and treat motion sickness. It is also used, with other medications, for pain after surgery.

May cause drowsiness, alcohol may intensify the effect use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Compazine - For Nausea

May cause drowsiness, use care when operating a car of dangerous machinery, do NOT drink alcoholic beverages when taking this medicine.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Ativan - benzodiazepine for anxiety disorders

May cause drowsiness, alcohol may intensify this effect,
    use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery.

-------------------------------------------------

Miles is offline Member

Well stated Casey55. Methinks the barrister may, admittedly unwillingly, be aligned with the agents of the Therapeutic State who are quick to hold responsible anything other than the individual - they do indeed reap in the dough in such litigation matters. I wonder if he would defend an involuntarily committed psychiatric patient in his right to fair trial proceedings.

Miles

geralvon is offline New Member

"The people I have seen with these unintentional impairment cases are CEOs and executive VPs of major corporations, not drug addicts or drunks."

Atty Head, you are a typical big firm lawyer. You are impressed by big money and hifalutin titles, as if that makes these people less susceptible to addiction than others. A high percentage of these people are alcoholics and coke heads. Just look at the movies. All these big wigs are shown going home and pouring themselves a scotch on the rocks. It's part of our culture which I believe is really a throwback to medieval Europe when the water was not drinkable. Why don't these guys go home and drink a bottle of apple juice. But whatever, many of them are drunks who if they do something stupid, they have the money to pay some lawyer to say to the court it was really due to the pill some doctor gave them trying to help them with the depressed feelings which are partly a result of their drinking every night.

If all pharmacies and all doctors affixed the correct labels, or verbally added a warning for patients who are too busy or careless to look at the small labels, then this entire topic would be moot. That was my point from the outset. Warnings are being handled sporadically or not at all in some cases.

That is where the "warning" aspect of this topic came into play. For you folks that are fully aware, great! For the others who do not know it all, then the warning may help avoid an arrest.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-18-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Casey55 is offline Member

Mr. Head,

No one is arguing that these mentioned waringing labels should be on all medicines. They should, absolutely and it is the law. How can you sue the drug manufactures, if the pharmacist doesn't remember to put the warning label on, which I have never had happen in 30 yrs. then you should be suing the pharmacist, not the drug company. The drug company has no control what the pharmacist does, they know they are required by law to put the warnings labels on the bottles and they are protected by the law.

If there has been an error and you are going to blame anyone, blame the person responsible, not the drug companies. These are excellent drugs that help millions of people and there is no reason to blame those meds for someone who takes them with alcohol and hurts someone, God forbid kills anyone. I would think you would do better defending the person how is injured.

kathyharr is offline Junior Member

WILLIAM....WAKEUP!!!! IT TELLS YOU RIGHT THERE ON THE LABEL OF YOUR PILL BOTTLE.."NOT TO DRINK WITH THIS PRODUCT"...AT LEASE WITH EVERYONE I'V EVER GOTTEN..."MAY CAUSE SIDE AFFECTS"...EVERYONE KNOW'S THIS....EVEN A CRIMINAL ATTORNEY AS YOURSELF...DON'T BLAME THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY OR THE PHARMACIST...POINT THE FINGER AT THE PEOPLE WHOM YOU ARE DEFENING..THEY ARE THE ONE'S WHO'S PULLING YOUR LEG[8D]

KATHY

Having had dozens of people walk in here witha bug full of bottles for their medications, not knowing why I asked that these be brought in, I can tell you that some labels do NOT get affixed.

I don't handle civil cases, so I don't sue anyone. I just try to do my job protecting my clients' rights, and ferreting out police error.

Some people have a problem with citizens having their legal rights protected, at least until it is THEIR rights that are being violated or trampled.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-18-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Laurie is offline New Member

I am new here and find this forum interesting. Two days ago, I was diagnosed(sp,sorry) as a low level bi-polar with panic attacks and depression. I was prescribed lamictal&clonazepam with a promise to add wellbutrin and possibly lithium in two weeks. The interesting part is this....I TOLD my doctor I drank anywhere from a 6 pack to a 12 pack of beer per day, and at times added a bottle of tequila rose to the mix, and have been for over the last two years. The last drink I had was the day before my appointment. He made me "promise" to stop drinking and just take the drugs he is going to give me. He told me I was self medicating and said in order for the pills to work I could not mix the liquor with the meds in my liver. He never gave me any other warnings! Lucky for me, I did look both drugs up and found out I could very well die by continuing down the road I was on and made the decision to stop drinking as I really want to get better mentally. I have had this condition for over 20 years and am ready for a new life. Thank you for having this section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast