Locholest (cholestyramine) and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with Locholest (cholestyramine):
cholestyramine ↔ multivitamins with minerals
Moderate Drug Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
ADJUST DOSING INTERVAL: Bile acid sequestrants and the phosphate binder, sevelamer, can decrease the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K. In non-clinical safety studies, rats administered colesevelam at doses greater than 30-fold the projected human clinical dose developed hemorrhage in association with vitamin K deficiency. In a crossover study involving healthy subjects, coadministration of sevelamer with calcitriol resulted in a significant reduction in bioavailability for calcitriol (calcitriol with sevelamer vs calcitriol alone: AUC 137 pg*h/mL vs 318 pg*h/mL and Cmax 40.1 pg/mL vs 49.7 pg/mL, respectively).
MANAGEMENT: Oral vitamin supplements should be administered at least 4 hours before colesevelam and either 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after other bile acid sequestrants and sevelamer.
- Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
- Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
- Peirce D, Hossack S, Poole L, et.al "The effect of sevelamer carbonate and lanthanum carbonate on the pharmacokinetics of oral calcitriol." Nephrol Dial Transplant 26 (2011): 1615-21
- "Product Information. Rocaltrol (calcitriol)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- "Product Information. Welchol (colesevelam)" Daiichi Sankyo, Inc., Parsippany, NJ.
Locholest (cholestyramine) drug Interactions
There are 321 drug interactions with Locholest (cholestyramine)
Locholest (cholestyramine) disease Interactions
There are 5 disease interactions with Locholest (cholestyramine) which include:
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.