Sassafras oil overdose
Sassafras oil is an oil taken from the root bark of the sassafras tree. Sassafras oil overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this substance.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Safrole, a clear or slightly yellow and oily liquid
- Sassafras oil
Note: The United States and Canada have banned sassafras oil (other than trace amounts of safrole) from foods and medications since 1960. Its active ingredient, safrole, is a recognized cancer-causing substance.
Heart and blood:
- Rapid breathing
- Shallow breathing
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support, including tube through the mouth and breathing machine (ventilator)
- Chest x-ray
- EKG (heart tracing)
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Medicine to reverse the effect of the poison
- Tube from the mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance is for recovery.
Sassafras oil is very toxic. If damage to the liver or kidneys has occurred, it may take several months to heal. Sassafras oil can also cause cancer in cases of long-term exposure.
Smolinske SC, Daubert GP, Spoerke DG. Poisonous plants. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 24.
Kingston RL, Foley C. Herbal, traditional, and alternative medicine. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 68.
St. John TM. Chronic hepatitis. In: Rakel D, ed. Rakel: Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2012:chap 19.
|Review Date: 1/20/2014
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 1997- 2018 A.D.A.M., Inc.