Ill-fitting dentures can move and cause sore spots. Denture adhesive may help cut down on this movement. Dental implants may be recommended in some cases. They should only be placed by a well-trained and certified clinician.
You should always see a dentist if your dentures do not fit correctly. Dentures may need to be adjusted or relined.
Other denture tips:
- Scrub dentures with plain soap and lukewarm water after eating.
- Dentures should be taken out overnight to prevent sores, infections, and inflammation.
- Dentures can be left overnight in a denture cleaner.
- Clean, rest, and massage the gums regularly. Rinsing daily with lukewarm salt water will help clean your gums.
- Do not use toothpicks when wearing dentures.
Stevenson RB. Denture Care. J Am Dent Assoc. 2011;142(6): 596-8.
|Review Date: 2/25/2014
Reviewed By: Ilona Fotek, DMD, MS, Palm Beach Prosthodontics Dental Associates, West Palm Beach, FL. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 1997- 2018 A.D.A.M., Inc.