Cow's milk - infants
If your child is under 1 year old, you should not feed your baby cow's milk, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Cow's milk doesn't provide enough:
Your baby's system can't handle the high levels of these nutrients in cow's milk:
It's also hard for your baby to digest the protein and fat in cow's milk.
To provide the best diet and nutrition for your infant, the AAP recommends that:
- If possible, you should feed your baby breast milk for the first 6 months of life.
- You should give your baby only breast milk or iron-fortified formula during the first 12 months of life, not cow's milk.
- Starting at age 6 months, you may add solid foods to your baby's diet.
If breastfeeding is not possible, infant formulas provide a healthy diet for your infant
Whether you use breast milk or formula, your baby may have colic and be fussy. These are common problems in all babies. Most of the time, cow's milk formulas don't cause these symptoms, so it won't help if you switch to a different formula.
American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk. Pediatrics. March 1, 2012;12(3):e827-e841.
|Review Date: 8/22/2013
Reviewed By: Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Bethanne Black, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 1997- 2018 A.D.A.M., Inc.
Learn more about Cow's milk - infants
Micromedex® Care Notes
- Body Image In Adolescents
- Caring For Your Formula Fed Baby
- Gender Identity In Adolescents
- Gender Identity In Your Adolescent
- Hemoglobin A1c
- Hepatitis B In Children
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- How To Childproof Your Home
- Medication Safety For Children
- Promote Healthy Teeth And Gums In Young Children
- Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Tips For Toilet Training
- Well Child Visit At 1 Month
- Well Child Visit At 1 Week
- Well Child Visit At 11 To 14 Years
- Well Child Visit At 12 Months
- Well Child Visit At 15 Months
- Well Child Visit At 18 Months
- Well Child Visit At 2 Months
- Well Child Visit At 2 Years
- Well Child Visit At 3 Years
- Well Child Visit At 30 Months
- Well Child Visit At 4 Months
- Well Child Visit At 4 Years
- Well Child Visit At 5 To 6 Years
- Well Child Visit At 6 Months
- Well Child Visit At 7 To 8 Years
- Well Child Visit At 9 Months
- Well Child Visit At 9 To 10 Years
- Well Child Visit Information For Teens At 15 To 17 Years
- Well Child Visits
- Your Child's Body Image