Here are some recommendations for preventing chapped lips:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure
- Avoid going out in dry, cold weather without putting on lip balm or lipstick
- Try to keep the air in your home humid
- Use a sunscreen on your lips when outside in sunny weather
Here are some recommendations for soothing chapped and sore lips:
- Drink additional fluids in winter months
- Treat chapped lips with beeswax and petrolatum (Vaseline)
See your health care provider if you have sores that will not heal on your lips.
Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2009:chap 5.
Habif TP. Warts, herpes simplex, and other viral infections. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2009:chap 12.
|Review Date: 11/2/2014
Reviewed By: Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.