Last Updated: October 12, 2010
Products Affected - Description
Ipecac syrup, 30 mL bottle (NDC 00395-1237-91), Humco - discontinued
Ipecac syrup, 30 mL bottle (NDC 00574-0012-01), Paddock Laboratories
Reason for the Shortage
- Humco discontinued their ipecac syrup in 2010.
- Paddock had their ipecac syrup on back order due to a global raw material shortage, but have now discontinued the product.
- Ipecac syrup is no longer recommended for routine management of outpatient ingestions of medications or other chemicals. Guidelines from the American Association of Poison Control Centers and the American Academy of Pediatrics do not recommend routine stocking of ipecac in households with small children.
Estimated Resupply Dates
Paddock has stopped manufacturing ipecac syrup. There are no other manufactures of ipecac syrup.
- Bismuth Subsalicylate/Metronidazole/Tetracycline (Helidac Therapy) — No Longer Available
- Esomeprazole Injection — Resolved
- Pantoprazole Injection — Current
October 12, 2010; August 3, 2010; May 26, 2010; April 5, 2010; February 23, 2010; January 20, 2010; November 6, 2009; October 2, 2009; August 11, 2009; July 13, 2009; May 11, 2009; March 9, 2009; January 27, 2009; October 23, 2008; September 8, 2008, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2010, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.