Heparin Sodium (Beef) injection
Last Updated: November 18, 2010
Products Affected - Description
Heparin sodium (beef) for injection, 1,000-units/mL in 10 mL and 30 mL vials, 5,000-units/mL in 10 mL multiple-dose vials, and 10,000-units/mL in 1mL and 4mL vials (Pharmacia), 1,000-units/mL in 10 mL and 30 mL vials (American Pharmaceutical Partners)
Reason for the Shortage
- Pharmacia discontinued production of heparin sodium (beef) for injection in April 2002 because the sole raw material supplier had exited the market. Limited supplies remained available during 2003.
- APP discontinued production of heparin sodium (beef) for injection in November, 2002 due to problems obtaining the raw materials.
Estimated Resupply Dates
Heparin sodium (beef) injection is discontinued.
- Enoxaparin Injection — Resolved
- Heparin Premixed Bags — Resolved
- Tinzaparin Sodium Injection — No Longer Available
November 18, 2010. University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2010, Drug information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.