Drug interactions between Varivax and Zostavax
|Varivax (varicella virus vaccine)|
|Zostavax (zoster vaccine live)|
Interactions between your drugs
- Varivax is in the drug class viral vaccines.
- Varivax is used to treat Varicella-Zoster, Prophylaxis.
- Zostavax is a member of the drug class viral vaccines.
- Zostavax is used to treat Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis.
Drug and food interactions
Therapeutic duplication warnings
Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.
The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'varicella vaccines' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'varicella vaccines' category:
- varicella virus vaccine (active ingredient in Varivax (varicella virus vaccine))
- zoster vaccine live (active ingredient in Zostavax (zoster vaccine live))
Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.