Phocal PHN Dosage
Generic name: Sodium Fluoride 0.055mg
Dosage form: disc
Medically reviewed on August 23, 2016.
- There are different methods for the placement of Phocal fluoride disks.
- The choice of placement method and Phocal type is subject to the discretion of the dental professional and is usually dependent upon the nature of the site being treated, interproximal tightness and the strength and type of adjacent restorations and teeth.
- Prior to treatment using either of the placement methods below, all debris and calculus should be removed from the selected site(s) and the site(s) should remain dry during placement. Premature wetting softens the disks and can compromise correct interproximal placement.
Method 1 – Insertion of flat Phocal disks; recommended for anterior teeth and where spacing allows.
- When spacing allows, insert the flat Phocal disk interproximally with forceps and/or by hand directly between the contact points of the two adjacent teeth.
Method 2 – Insertion of flat Phocal disks with separation; recommended for posterior teeth and where spacing is restrictive.
- In some cases, separation with wedges or rings may be necessary prior to insertion.
- After separating the teeth by your chosen method of separation, insert the flat Phocal disk interproximally with forceps and/or by hand directly between the contact points of the two adjacent teeth.
- In rare cases nickel titanium springs, elastic O-rings or Maxian strips can be used to separate teeth but this is usually a slower process which requires two visits: one for separation and then one for disk placement.
- To accelerate the initial reactions of Phocal disks a curing light can be applied for 3-10 seconds.
- To extend the fluoride release time period, a varnish can be applied to partially cover the interproximal site or disk occlusally, buccally or/and lingually. However the disk should not be completely coated with varnish.
- To shorten the release time the disks can be removed using an appropriate instrument, dental floss and/or aspiration.
- If Phocal Apf is used, in order to guard against possible etching of porcelain crowns or tooth-colored restorations, a protective matrix should be used. With Phocal pHn there is no risk of etching.
- Advise the patient not to eat, drink or rinse for at least 30 minutes after treatment.
- If multiple applications are necessary, treat no more than 8 sites at a time and delay subsequent Phocal applications for at least a day.
- If deemed necessary, patients may be recalled at intervals of 2 to 12 months for repeated treatments.
- Phocal disks are versatile, and with specific gentle moisturization they can be trimmed, rolled, or folded to fit other inaccessible areas such as furcations.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Phocal PHN (fluoride topical)
- Phocal PHN Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: mouth and throat products