E-Z Dose with Liquid Polibar Plus Dosage
Generic name: barium sulfate 1.05g in 1mL
Dosage form: rectal suspension
- E-Z Disk tablet
- E-Z Paque powder, for suspension
- E-Z-Cat Dry powder, for oral suspension
- E-Z-HD powder, for oral suspension
- E-Z-Paste esophageal cream
- Entero VU oral suspension
- Entrobar oral suspension
- Entroease suspension
Medically reviewed on February 20, 2018.
The volume and concentration of LIQUID POLIBAR PLUS® to be administered will depend on the degree and extent of contrast required in the area(s) under examination and on the equipment and technique employed. See below for typical adult doses.
Patient Preparation for Colon Examinations
In order to achieve optimum results, the colon must be cleansed prior to the use of a barium enema. This is usually accomplished by placing the patient on a low fat, low residue diet, combined with the use of laxatives and/or cathartics. A cleansing enema may also be used unless contraindicated.
Double-Contrast Colon Examination (if other enema tips, inflators or insufflators are used refer to their labeling for directions for use)
The following procedure is intended only as a guide. The quantity of contrast to use will depend on the patient’s body habits and the radiographic procedures being preferred (typical adult dose: 500 mL to 1500 mL).
- Attach the Retention Cuff Inflator (E-Z-EM Ref. 9529) to the clear tube on the retention cuff.
- Attach the blue air-bulb insufflator (E-Z-EM Ref. 9525) to the blue tube.
- Inspect the tubing system to ensure that it is free of obstructions.
- Shake bottle VIGOROUSLY prior to use. Close off the large-bore tubing with the clamp and attach it securely to the bottle.
- Suspend the bottle and bleed air from the tubing. Reclamp.
- Lubricate the enema tip with desired lubricant and carefully insert. Carefully insert the tip until the base of the retention cuff is just beyond the anorectal junction. The base of the cuff should be at the level of anal sphincter for best retention and maximum safety. If necessary, the cuff should be gently pulled back until its proximal end rests on the anal sphincter.
Note: A retention cuff is not necessary or desirable in patients with normal sphincter tone. This can be determined by preliminary rectal digital examination.
- Prior to inflating the retention cuff, fluoroscopy may be used to visualize the rectum with contrast medium to ensure the absence of contraindications. (See CONTRAINDICATIONS).
- Inflate the cuff under fluoroscopic control. Use only the Retention Cuff Inflator (E-Z-EM Ref. 9529) to inflate retention cuff with approximately 100 cc air. To inflate the cuff, squeeze inflator once only and clamp off the tubing to retain inflation. (See PRECAUTIONS).
- Start with patient in the prone position. Fill the rectum with LIQUID POLIBAR PLUS®
- Rotate the patient (left side down and 10° to 15° Trendelenberg) and introduce enough LIQUID POLIBAR PLUS® to reach the splenic flexure. Clamp tubing shut.
- Rotate the patient to the prone position, with the bottle on the floor, drain the rectum. Clamp the tubing and introduce air to inflate ascending colon and cecum.
- Turn the patient slowly to the right side and introduce more air. (Evacuate rectum again if necessary).
- Turn the patient slowly on his/her back. This maneuver will cause barium to pass through the hepatic flexure into the ascending colon.
- Slowly turn the patient to the prone position and raise the table slightly. Doing this will fill the cecum. If necessary, drain the rectum and introduce additional air.
- To remove the enema tip, deflate the cuff by releasing the clamp on the Retention Cuff Inflator. Gently remove and discard the tip and the entire E-Z-DOSE™ system.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about E-Z Dose Kit with Polibar Plus (barium sulfate)
- E-Z Dose Kit with Polibar Plus Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: non-iodinated contrast media