Generic name: Branched Chain Amino Acid
Dosage form: injection, solution
Medically reviewed on December 14, 2017.
Clinical studies have shown that stressed patients can safely utilize up to 1.4 g/kg/day of a 50% branched chain amino acid supplemented solution. However, the total daily dose of the branched chain amino acid supplemented solutions depends upon the judgement of the physician based upon the patient's metabolic requirement, branched chain amino acid deficits and clinical response.
Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration whenever solution and container permit. Use of a final filter is recommended during administration of all parenteral solutions where possible.
Care should be exercised to insure the maintenance of proper levels of serum potassium. Quantities of 60 to 180 mEq of potassium per day have been used with adequate clinical effect. All serum electrolytes should be monitored frequently and electrolyte requirements individualized.
Usual administration of 4% BranchAmin® (Branched Chain Amino Acid) Injection is as a supplement to parenteral nutrition solutions to achieve an amino acid solution which is approximately 50% w/w branched chain amino acid. (One method for achieving this ratio is the admixture of two volumes of 4% BranchAmin® (Branched Chain Amino Acid) Injection at 4 g/100 mL concentration with one volume of an amino acid solution of 8 to 10 g/100 mL concentration.) The supplemental amino acid mixture is administered in combination with energy substrates to provide at least 35 kcal/kg ideal body weight as nonprotein calories.
4% BranchAmin® (Branched Chain Amino Acid) Injection in the Pharmacy Bulk Package is intended for use in the preparation of sterile, intravenous admixtures. Additives may be incompatible with the fluid withdrawn from this container. Complete information is not available. Those additives known to be incompatible should not be used. Consult with pharmacist, if available. When compounding admixtures, use aseptic technique. Mix thoroughly. Do not store any unused portion of 4% BranchAmin® (Branched Chain Amino Acid) Injection.
Directions for Use of Viaflex® plastic Pharmacy Bulk Package container
Tear overpouch down side at slit and remove solution container. Some opacity of the plastic due to moisture absorption during the sterilization process may be observed. This is normal and does not affect the solution quality or safety. The opacity will diminish gradually. Check for minute leaks by squeezing inner bag firmly. If leaks are found, discard solution as sterility may be impaired.
Preparation for Admixing
- The Pharmacy Bulk Package is to be used only in a suitable work area such as a laminar flow hood (or an equivalent clean air eompounding area).
- Suspend container from eyelet support.
- Remove plastic protector from outlet port at bottom of container.
- Attach solution transfer set. Refer to complete directions accompanying set. Note: The closure shall be penetrated only one time with a suitable sterile transfer device or dispensing set which allows measured dispensing of the contents.
- Viaflex® containers should not be written on directly since ink migration has not been investigated. Affix accompanying label for date and time of entry.
- Once container closure has been penetrated, withdrawal of contents should be completed without delay. After initial entry, maintain contents at room temperature (25ºC/77ºF) and dispense within 4 hours.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Branchamin (parenteral nutrition solution)
- Branchamin Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: intravenous nutritional products