Mylanta AR (famotidine) Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with Mylanta AR (famotidine):
H2 antagonists (Includes Mylanta AR) ↔ GI bleeding
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
Histamine H2 receptor antagonists should not be used in the presence of vomit with blood, or bloody or black stools. These might be serious conditions and the diagnosis needs to be ruled out.
Famotidine (Includes Mylanta AR) ↔ renal dysfunction
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility. Applies to: Renal Dysfunction
Famotidine is partially eliminated by the kidney as unchanged drug, the extent of which is dependent upon the route of administration (25% to 30% oral; 65% to 70% intravenous). The elimination half-life of famotidine may be prolonged considerably in patients with severe renal impairment (CrCl < 10 mL/min), possibly exceeding 20 hours and approaching approximately 24 hours in anuric patients. Since central nervous system adverse effects such as grand mal seizures and psychic disturbances have been reported in patients with moderate (CrCl < 50 mL/min) and severe renal impairment, dosage adjustments are recommended for these patients. Reducing the normally recommended dosage by one-half or prolonging the dosing interval to 36 to 48 hours may be appropriate, depending on the patient's clinical response.
- Halstenson CE, Abraham PA, Opsahl JA, Chremos AN, Keane WF, Matzke GR "Disposition of famotidine in renal insufficiency." J Clin Pharmacol 27 (1987): 782-7
- Kroemer H, Klotz U "Pharmacokinetics of famotidine in man." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 25 (1987): 458-63
- Takabatake T, Ohta H, Maekawa M, Yamamoto Y, Ishida Y, Hara H, Nakamura S, Ushiogi Y, Kawabata M, Hashimoto N, et al "Pharmacokinetics of famotidine, a new H2-receptor antagonist, in relation to renal function." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 28 (1985): 327-31
- Gladziwa U, Klotz U "Pharmacokinetic optimisation of the treatment of peptic ulcer in patients with renal failure." Clin Pharmacokinet 27 (1994): 393-408
- "Product Information. Pepcid (famotidine)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- Gladziwa U, Klotz U, Krishna DR, Schmitt H, Glockner WM, Mann H "Pharmacokinetics and dynamics of famotidine in patients with renal failure." Br J Clin Pharmacol 26 (1988): 315-21
- Hachisu T, Yokoyama T, Oda Y, Ando K, Hattori Y, Yoshida T "Optimal therapeutic regimen of famotidine based on plasma concentrations in patients with chronic renal failure." Clin Ther 10 (1988): 656-63
Mylanta AR (famotidine) drug interactions
There are 396 drug interactions with Mylanta AR (famotidine)
Mylanta AR (famotidine) alcohol/food interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with Mylanta AR (famotidine)
More about Mylanta AR (famotidine)
- Mylanta AR Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: H2 antagonists
- FDA Alerts (1)
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.