Comtan (entacapone) Disease Interactions
There are 3 disease interactions with Comtan (entacapone):
Dopamine agonists (Includes Comtan) ↔ hypotension
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Hypotension
Dopamine agonists may impair the systemic regulation of blood pressure, with resultant orthostatic hypotension, especially during dose escalation. Therapy with dopamine agonists should be monitored carefully in patients with Parkinson's disease since they may have an impaired ability to respond to an orthostatic challenge, and also in patients receiving antihypertensive drugs.
- "Product Information. Dostinex (cabergoline)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Sinemet CR (carbidopa-levodopa)." Dupont Pharmaceuticals, Wilmington, DE.
- Iwasaki S, Hamaguchi K, Iwasaki A, Takakusagi M, Narabayashi Y "Hypotensive effect of long-term levodopa in patients with Parkinson's disease." Eur Neurol 30 (1990): 194-9
- "Product Information. Mirapex (pramipexole)." Boehringer Ingelheim, Ridgefield, CT.
- Hoehn MM "Levodopa-induced postural hypotension. Treatment with fludrocortisone." Arch Neurol 32 (1975): 50-1
- "Product Information. Sinemet (carbidopa-levodopa)." DuPont Pharmaceuticals, Wilmington, DE.
Dopaminergic antiparkinson agents (Includes Comtan) ↔ psychosis
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Psychosis
Ordinarily, patients with major psychotic disorder should not be treated with dopaminergic antiparkinson agents, because of the risk of exacerbating psychosis. Hallucinations and psychotic-like behavior have been reported with dopaminergic medications. In addition, certain medications used to treat psychosis may exacerbate the symptoms of Parkinson's disease and may decrease the effectiveness of these drugs.
Entacapone (Includes Comtan) ↔ hepatic impairment
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Liver Disease
Entacapone should be used with caution in patients with hepatic impairment, as the AUC and Cmax of the drug approximately doubled in patients with documented liver disease compared to patients with normal liver function.
Comtan (entacapone) drug interactions
There are 598 drug interactions with Comtan (entacapone)
Comtan (entacapone) alcohol/food interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food interactions with Comtan (entacapone)
More about Comtan (entacapone)
- Comtan Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: dopaminergic antiparkinsonism agents
- FDA Alerts (1)
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.