- A temporary interruption of any function.
- A hanging from a support, as used in the treatment of spinal curvatures or during the application of a plaster jacket.
- Fixation of an organ, such as the uterus, to other tissue for support.
- The dispersion through a liquid of a solid in finely divided particles of a size large enough to be detected by purely optic means; if the particles are too small to be seen by microscope but still large enough to scatter light (Tyndall phenomenon), they will remain dispersed indefinitely and are then called a colloidal suspension
- A class of pharmacopoeial preparations of finely divided, undissolved drugs (powders for suspension) dispersed in liquid vehicles for oral or parenteral use.
Synonym(s): coarse dispersion
[L. suspensio, fr. sus-pendo, pp. -pensus, to hang up, suspend]
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.