- A population of homogeneous organisms possessing a set of defined characteristics; in bacteriology, the set of descendants that retains the characteristics of the ancestor; members of a strain that subsequently differ from the original isolate are regarded as belonging either to a substrain of the original strain, or to a new strain
- Specific host cell(s) designed or selected to optimize production of recombinant products.
- To make an effort to the limit of one's strength.
- To injure by overuse or improper use (usually refers to a muscle tear).
- An act of straining.
- Injury resulting from strain or overuse.
- The change in shape that a body undergoes when acted on by an external force.
- To filter; to percolate.
[A.S. streon, progeny]
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.