Pronunciation: stig'ma, -ma-ta
- Visible evidence of a disease.
- Any spot or blemish on the skin.
- A bleeding spot on the skin, which is considered a manifestation of conversion hysteria.
- The orange-pigmented eyespot of certain chlorophyll-bearing protozoa (Euglena viridis); filters light by absorbing certain wavelengths.
- A mark of shame or discredit.
Synonym(s): follicular stigma
[G. a mark. fr. stizo, to prick]
Disclaimer: This site is designed to offer information for general educational purposes only. The health information furnished on this site and the interactive responses are not intended to be professional advice and are not intended to replace personal consultation with a qualified physician, pharmacist, or other healthcare professional. You must always seek the advice of a professional for questions related to a disease, disease symptoms, and appropriate therapeutic treatments.
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.
© Copyright 2017 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review Date: Sep 19, 2016.