Pronunciation: stig'ma, -ma-ta
- Visible evidence of a disease.
- Any spot or blemish on the skin.
- A bleeding spot on the skin, which is considered a manifestation of conversion hysteria.
- The orange-pigmented eyespot of certain chlorophyll-bearing protozoa (Euglena viridis); filters light by absorbing certain wavelengths.
- A mark of shame or discredit.
Synonym(s): follicular stigma
[G. a mark. fr. stizo, to prick]
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.