Pronunciation: o-per'kyu-lum, -li, -la
- Anything resembling a lid or cover.
- In anatomy, the portions of the frontal (operculum frontale [TA], frontal operculum [TA]), parietal (operculum parietale [TA], parietal operculum [TA]), and temporal (operculum temporale [TA], temporal operculum [TA]) lobes bordering the lateral sulcus and covering the insula.
- In parasitology, the lid or caplike cover of the shell opening of operculated freshwater snails in the subclass Prosobranchiata, and of the eggs of certain trematode and cestode parasites.
- The attached flap in the tear of retinal detachment.
- The mucosal flap partially or completely covering an unerupted tooth.
[L. cover or lid, fr. operio, pp. opertus, to cover]
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.