- A mark, strip, or streak.
- anatomy a long, narrow mark, strip, or streak distinguished from the adjacent tissues by color, texture, or elevation.
- A unit of measurement used by histologists in the 19th century; it varied in different countries from one tenth to one twelfth of an English inch.
- A laboratory derivative of a stock of organisms maintained under defined physical conditions.
- A section of tubing supplying fluid or wire conducting impulses for monitoring equipment; intravenous line, arterial line, electric line.
[L. linea, a linen thread, a string, line, fr. linum, flax]
See Also: linea
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.