- To separate, to set apart from others; that which is so treated.
- To free of chemical contaminants.
- In psychoanalysis, to separate ideas, experiences, or memories from the affects pertaining to them.
- In group psychotherapy, a patient to whom others in the group do not respond.
- Viable organisms separated on a single occasion from a sample taken from a host or culture system.
- A population that for geographic, linguistic, cultural, social, religious, or other reasons is subject to little or no gene flow.
Synonym(s): genetic isolate
[It. isolare; Mediev. L. insulo, pp. -atus, to insulate, fr. L. insula, island]
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.