Pronunciation: in'fun-dib'yu-lum, -yu-la
- A funnel or funnel-shaped structure or passage.
- The expanding portion of a calyx as it opens into the renal pelvis.
- Termination of a bronchiole in the alveolus.
- Termination of the cochlear canal beneath the cupola.
- The funnel-shaped, unpaired prominence of the base of the hypothalamus behind the optic chiasm, enclosing the infundibular recess of the third ventricle and continuous below with the stalk of the hypophysis.
Synonym(s): infundibulum of uterine tube
[L. a funnel]
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.