- The special action or physiologic property of an organ or other part of the body.
- To perform its special work or office, said of an organ or other part of the body.
- The general properties of any substance, depending on its chemical character and relation to other substances, according to which it may be grouped (acids, bases, alcohols, esters).
- A particular reactive grouping in a molecule, a functional group, such as the –OH group of an alcohol.
- A quality, trait, or fact that is so related to another as to be dependent on and to vary with this other.
- A mathematic variable or expression.
[L. functio, fr. fungor, pp. functus, to perform]
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.