- A porous substance through which a liquid or gas is passed to separate it from contained particulate matter or impurities to sterilize.
- To use or to subject to the action of a filter.
- In diagnostic or therapeutic radiology, a plate made of one or more metals such as aluminum and copper that, placed in the x- or gamma ray beam, permits passage of a greater proportion of higher-energy radiation and attenuation of lower-energy and less desirable radiation, raising the average energy or hardening the beam.
- A device used in spectrophotometric analysis to isolate a segment of the spectrum.
- A mathematical algorithm applied to imaging data for the purpose of enhancing image quality, usually by suppression or enhancement of high spatial frequencies.
- A passive electronic circuit or device that selectively permits the passage of certain electrical signals.
- A device placed in the inferior vena cava to prevent pulmonary embolism from low extremity clot. There are many variants.
[Mediev. L. filtro, pp. -atus, to strain through felt, fr. filtrum, felt]
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.