Pronunciation: kī-mēr′ă, ki-
- In experimental embryology, the individual produced by grafting an embryonic part of one animal onto the embryo of another, either of the same or of another species.
- An organism that has received a transplant of genetically and immunologically different tissue, such as bone marrow.
- Dizygotic twins that exchange immunologically distinct types of erythrocytes.
- A protein fusion in which two different proteins are linked through peptide bonds; usually genetically engineered. Chimeric antibodies may have the Fab fragment from one species fused with the Fc fragment from another.
- Any macromolecule fusion formed by two or more macromolecules from different species or from different genes.
[L. Chimaera, G. Chimaira, mythic monster (lit. a she-goat)]
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.