- The lower part or bottom; the part of a pyramidal or conic structure opposite the apex (heart); the foundation.
- pharmacy the chief ingredient of a mixture.
- chemistry an electropositive element (cation) that unites with an anion to form a salt; a compound ionizing to yield hydroxyl ion.
- Nitrogen-containing organic compounds (purines, pyrimidines, amines, alkaloids, and ptomaines) that act as Brønsted bases.
- Cations, or substances forming cations.
- A substance the pH of which is over 7.0, in contrast to an acid.
Synonym(s): basisTA, basement1
[L. and G. basis]
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
© Copyright 2018 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved. Review date: Sep 19, 2016.
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.