User Reviews for Shingrix

Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis

Summary of Shingrix reviews 5.0 115 reviews

Reviews for Shingrix

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I'm a 56 yr old female in general good health having had the (zostivax) at age 50 with very mild reactions and knowing how bad shingles are I decided I would get the (shingrix) vac. Thus said 1st shot in Oct 2018 it was 5 days of excruciating pain I must have had all symptoms possible in arm (apple size redness, knot size of plum, fever to injection site, site very sore to touch, could not raise arm any, along with high fever for 12 hrs) It's now Dec 9 an outa-blue arm at injection site has had muscle weakness for last 2 days, I'm scared to get 2nd dose ! I knew there would be side affects to the vaccine but had I known how bad it would be I might have thought twice about getting it. I know the importance of vaccines and benefits they have but I don't understand why this one has so many worse side effects."

1pharmtech (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I took the shingrix vaccine on Tuesday, November 27, 2018. The first day was ok, with some arm, shoulder and collarbone pain later that evening. On day 2, I had extremely severe joint and body pain, extreme chills and low grade fever. My body was screaming. A rash appeared on my right ankle all around and on my lower right leg. That night was misery, with some of the worst chills I have ever known. Day 3, the chills broke, followed by moderate sweating. I felt better, but my lower right leg and ankle began to swell, with the rash increasing in size and severity. This led me to my doctor, who diagnosed cellulitis. And who also said, " the vaccine is completely safe, and could not have caused the problems that I have". I was placed on an antibiotic. Day 4, the sweats, and rash, swelling and now a sting sensation are still here, and I am unsure what day 5 might hold. At this point in time, I am not sure which is worse, the pound of problem, or the pound of cure."

Hogster (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "55 y/o female. My mom had bad shingles. I have fairly poor immune system so figured I should get this shot. TOTAL REGRET. First shot in May, 2018 and it wasn't good. Same symptoms as everyone describes, 3 or so days of intense headache/pressure, bad chills, fatigue so awful you can't move. I dreaded shot #2. I wish I hadn't got it. I put it off but finally did it just this morning. I feel like death. I worry if all of us will have long term issues, I see some on here say they do already. I am feeling worse than the first time. This stuff better be worth it because it is brutal. WISHING EVERYONE THE BEST."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I received the 1st dose of Shingrix on Oct. 12, 2018. I experienced the painful sore arm and I couldn't lift my arm or sleep on it for about 5 days. However, the next day I had a very painful gall bladder attack. I went to the doctor who scheduled an ultrasound and said that I may have to have surgery. Prior to the ultrasound I went to Urgent Care. The doctor asked me if I had a rash, to which I answered "no". I returned to the Urgent Care doctor the next day with a rash, six days after receiving my vaccination. I have Shingles! Gall bladder pain is one of the symptoms of Shingles prior to the rash appearing, and that's why he asked me if I had a rash. I've had Shingles for about a month now. I have a classic case of Shingles on one side of my body, from the middle of my stomach wrapping around to the middle of my back. I will not be getting the second dose!!"

Sw November 12, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis. I am a 52 year old female in good health. First shingles shot caused a sore injection site on my arm plus a very large raised area that was hot to the touch, these went away after a week. I then had the second shot yesterday, 19 hours later I am experiencing fever, very bad cold chills, shivering, joint pain and extreme fatigue and every muscle in my body aches. Feels like the flu, which I have not had in many, many years. If I had known I would get this sick, I would not have had this vaccine. I’m now concerned with what they may find out about this vaccine in the future."

Unicorn1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Female, 69 y.o. 1st shot May 2018: very sore arm for 2wks. Mild flu-like symps, 3-4 days: fatigue, fever, feverish, sore muscles/joints. Not fun, but better after 5 days. 2nd shot: really bad! much worse flu symps: bad headache, fever, chills, pains in muscles/joints >2 wks, extreme fatigue, GI symps. 3 weeks later still fatigued. Got sinus infection & cold. Some bad reactions to Shingrix may be caused by adjuvant added to boost immune response. Shingrix trials excluded people with Lupus, psoriatic arthritis, etc. Can the adjuvant turn on autoimmune disorders?? There is an article on Medpage Today "Questions Remain about Shingrix Safety in Rheumatic Disease" I have autoimmune disease (celiac & hypothryoid). Got Shingrix because of CDC's strong recommendation. Shingles is very bad. But Lupus/autoimmune disorders will destroy health forever!!"

Concerned in Maryland (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I’m a 62 year old male with no known drug allergies. Injection 1 was sort of annoying with injection site pain for 2-3 days, fever and chills that lasted overnight. But it passed and I was OK. Injection 2 was far worse and created soaking night sweats alternating with nearly uncontrollable shaking chills that bordered on rigors. I had a 102.2 temp that began at 2am on the day of the injection and lasted all night and the following day until about 7pm. Temp finally broke and dropped to about 100.2 by 8pm the following day. I had a debilitating migraine like headache all day long, upset stomach with gas and cramping, overall muscle aches and frequent urination. I took ibuprofen 600mg every 4 hours and drank cold liquids every 2 hours. I literally soaked through my compression shirt and shorts like I had night sweats and had to change my night clothing twice. I really hope this vaccine prevents shingles down the road because it’s a tough set of injections."

Relidnit October 24, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I had had the previous zostavax with no issues. I got the first Shingrix shot about five months ago and have determined I am NOT going to get the second shot. I am 66 years old and in good health. I was fine for the first day after the shot but quickly got a fever and flu symptoms, dizzy, body aches etc. everything everyone else has described. Also my arm was very sore. The flu symptoms and fever lasted about two or three days. My arm was fine after five days. However I have lasting and annoying nerve pain in both arms, worse in the arm where I got the shot. My arms are aching and feel weak as others have described. I know shingles is very painful but in my opinion there is more to be learned about this vaccine. I hope I get better."

Innocent bystander (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I am a 61 year old female in good health. First shingles shot only caused a sore injection site on my arm. I had the second shot yesterday, 16 hours later I am experiencing fever, very bad cold chills, extreme fatigue and every muscle in my body aches. Feels like the flu, which I have not had in many, many years. If I had known I would get this sick, I would not have had this vaccine. I don't see how a vaccine can be approved for use that makes people so sick."

Pat (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I had the shot Monday this week and my arm is still really sore. I woke up Wednesday morning with swelling and puffiness under my right eye. Saw Dermatologist who believes Shingrix triggered this swelling. I only found out this vaccine has 191!!!! medications it can interact with. No one advised me prior to the Shot. I will endure as my parents had terrible shingles. More advice to users prior is critical!!!"

BG (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Had the first shot; was not told about any side effects, had severe stomach cramps; flu like symptoms, threw up for 3 days (only bile, no food); the shot hurts when it goes in. Had the 2nd shot 3 1/2 months later, was not looking forward to it; only side effect was soreness and burning when shot went in, arm was sore for a couple of days and had minor headache. Would highly recommend. The benefit of the shot far outweigh the minor side effects. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Highly recommend"

Clara (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "1st shot - injection site soreness for 2 days, moderate malaise, slight flu-like symptoms. Hours after booster, arm extremely sore, mild flu symptoms. 1st night, I experienced severe night sweats/nightmares. Following morning, woke up w/flu symptoms. Ibuprofen every 4 hours, but the joint and bone pain persisted for 24 hours. 2nd night, more night sweats. Day three, bone/joint pain abated, too fatigued to engage in daily activities. 3rd night, more night sweats, along w/waking at 3 am w/very intense headache, which lessened as the day progressed. I experienced a strange burning on my neck and left shoulder (injection arm) for several hours (not unbearable pain but definitely similar to what shingles pain has been described as). I was able to perform daily activities & had more energy, w/only notable side effect today being occasional bouts of dizziness, which quickly resolve. Definitely a very difficult vaccine for a few unpleasant days but far better than suffering through shingles."

T October 18, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Only took the first. Fever of 103 deg F. Overall body aches, nausea, headache, very sore arm. Spent the day after in bed. By the second day, mild fever and head/body aches. Resumed normal activities. Four months later - got the first cold sore I have ever had. Related? I'm a runner and one knee feels like it has a fever. I've never experienced quite this type of pain. Related? I will skip the second shot. I talked to my doctor who agreed with me to skip. Sometimes I wonder if all of this hype is for companies to make money selling vaccines. I have never had any kind of side effect from any medication or vaccine before."

Mollie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I wasn’t surprised to be sore with side effects after the first shot. Second shot gave me a fever and flu like for A WEEK. Kicked off asthma and now, 6 WEEKS later weak, achy, arms and legs exhaust instantly. Chest pressure/pain, and exhaustion. I’m a 53 yo healthy woman, regular exercise, work full time, mom, it took me until went to my a dr to connect that everything started w the vaccine but nothing online lists more than 2-3 days...just heard about husband and wife who had a month like me after it."

bondlady October 14, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Received 1st dose of Shingrix May'18 with no side effects. Had 2nd dose 5 months later and chills started 1st night. I was unable to sleep the 1st night. The next morning my pulse was 35 points above normal but temperature was normal. Last night (day 2) I had severe night sweats one hour after falling asleep. My shirt, shorts, pillow, sheets and comforter were soaked. I changed clothes and did not sweat the rest of the night. This morning (day 3) my pulse is down to about 10 points above normal, but I feel somewhat dazed. After reading comments from others it appears that the side effects are more severe with the 2nd injection and my experience is consistent with what others have reported. I wonder if the second dose strength is the same as the first and perhaps needs to be adjusted or reduced for body weight. I will report back if the side effects last longer than a few days or up to a week."

Marcus October 12, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Update: One week after the second shot and I still feel terrible! I wonder how many of the people calling the side effects mild to moderate and lasting 2 to 3 days have actually taken the shot themselves? This vaccine is brutal."

Sverre (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I am 52 yr old male. My wife is my pharmacist. I didn't even think to ask about side effects. I don't think I have ever had an issue with any vaccine before. 6 days ago I had my second shot. The next day I felt off and then about mid afternoon I started to feel flu like symptoms. Since then, no appetite, fever, chills, lethargic and feel like I have a bad flu. That's when I found this site and saw all the awful side effects. My wife still insists they should be mild and last 2 or 3 days. I am on day 6 and still feel aawful. Now that I know, I do remember not feeling well around the time of the first shot but didn't think to attribute it to the vaccine. I wish I hadn't got it."

Sverre (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I had my first shingrex shot in May with very little side effects. Sore around injection site . Second shot two days ago, injection site red and swollen three inch diameter, painful and itching and I was very tired and headache. I took Tylenol which helped. Not pleasant but I’m glad that I got it done as I suffered with one of the worst cases of shingles ( as my doctor said) and had PHN for one year ago and I never want to go through that again. As already mentioned , plan your time getting the injection allowing a few days for recovery if needed."

She (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

"Hi. My grandfather had HORRIBLE shingles and I had HORRIBLE chicken pox as a child so this shot (series) was necessary for me to endure. The first shot hurt like anything ... I couldn't even raise my arm or sleep the first night after the shot. Then I got a MASSIVE headache the next day making nearly everything scheduled impossible. Then the exhaustion hit, I was WIPED OUT for 3 days, sluggish is NOT the word. I had body aches all over...not much appetite. I braved it up and got my second shot a month later....WHAM hit again (like childbirth...you forget how bad the first go round was) and I had all the same side effects above but WORSE in duration and intensity. You have to be ONE TOUGH COOKIE to get through the side effects of this vaccine. All you other crumbling cookies (who didn't) can enjoy your shingles... NO WAY NOT ME....GLAD I did it!"

Hypnogal (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "The first shot I had no side effects. I got the second dose 5 months later. The day of the shot I felt okay. The second day my arm was red and swollen. I had diarrhea, a fever, a severe headache, sore throat, and the worst stomach ache I had ever had in my life besides labor pains. My stomach felt like someone was constantly punching me in my gut. I"d advise and caution anyone not to get this vaccine."

Bulma October 1, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Second vaccine. First round was somewhat reactionary but unremarkable. I just received the second round. The results: Remarkable pain at injection site, headache frontal and posterior, occasional ocular pain, intermittent earache, tightness in the long bone muscles and hands, chills and fever 12 hours following administration, red splotches and rash on torso. This was unexpected since the first administration resulted in very few reactions."

Jaime September 30, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Wasn’t told about side effects. Like many other’s did not know until 2nd shot had baseball rash and fever for 2 days. Had inflammation of lymph nodes. Had serious side effects that reactivated internal shingles. This vaccine was not tested on individuals who have HAD shingles look it up.. Anyone that is considering this vaccine do your research."

Joe September 25, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I had the initial shot during the summer. I went in a week ago for my second. I had no side effects other than pain at the injection site the first time around. This second one, though... pain, rash and swelling in the arm, fever, headaches, sore throat, coughing up gross phlegm. A week later, I'm still not well. I just keep telling myself that this is still better than having shingles, but sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it!"

Still hurting... September 24, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Got shot, nurse said ...” soooo did they tell you about side effects”? Right after the shot I got a head ache, within in a couple hours my arm /neck was really sore and 8 hours later felt like I had the flu. Lasted about 2-3 days. Now 5 days later I have a lump (chocolate Easter egg size lump on shoulder) above the injection site ... not sure what that’s about?? Boy it’s going to be hard to get that second shot!"

Agent 99 September 24, 2018

"Just got the 1st shot on Thursday after work. I was told to expect a sore arm and flu-like symptoms w/in 24 hours. That was spot on. I bought theraflu and advil. I took both on Thursday evening before symptoms started and I think it helped lessen the pain. My neck is achy and I have some congestion and a sore throat and tired. Just rest and keep taking meds every 4/5 hours. I recommend getting the shot on a Thursday so time to rest up for 2-3 days if you're working so not out. It is worth a few days of discomfort vs getting shingles. It is terribly painful!"

D. (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2018