User Reviews for Shingrix

Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis
5.4

Summary of Shingrix reviews 5.4 85 reviews

Reviews for Shingrix

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Had the 1st Shingrex vaccine in May 2018. Felt mildly tired the first night after and had a slight soreness where the vaccine was injected in my shoulder for a few days. No other side-effects. Had the 2nd and again felt very slightly more tired than usual that night. Also had very minor soreness at the injection site. That pales compared to having Shingles. My husband had nerve pain for 18 months after the disease, my father for years after and a friend who never even saw a rash instead lost all the hearing in one ear as it affected the nerve leading to the ear. A few days of mild discomfort; I'll take it. The disease can be far far worse."

User3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "With the first shingles shot the only side effect was a very sore arm for 3 days. Had the second shot and had flu like symptoms, fever, headache, face was red, chills, aches and pains. Not good but still would rather have the shot than shingles."

bob (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Got first shot in May, arm was sore for like two weeks so I kinda put off getting the next shot, but just so you know the actual vaccine in the needle hurts like hell when they push it in your arm and no one told me about the side effects even though I asked. Woke up that night with chills, dry mouth, really thirsty, dizzy and a splitting headache. Still have the head ache this morning. I had no idea the vaccine could cause these flu like symptoms but after reading other's comments, I see it does. Get the shot but be prepared."

Marilyn September 13, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Got the first shot 3 days ago. Injection site (arm) is red sore and itchy. Very tender and feverish. I will plan for worse side effects after the second shot. My husband was also sore and felt tired and sick feeling. Hope it is effective against the shingles."

Alys (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I had my injection on Tue. The injection was very painful the moment the pharmacist injected the needle in my arm. I have never had a shot hurt before. The Walgreens pharmacist was very busy and running around like a chicken with her head cut off. She did not bother to far warn me of any side effects. Normally, they always call for counsel on my meds when I pickup. But, not this time and they should have. My daughter was having a baby in a week and I had no idea what was in store for me. The rest of the afternoon I felt tired and ached. I began to have a headache and my arm felt like it weighed 20 lbs. The next 5 days I still felt tired and ached. On Monday, I started to feel really really bad at work. Went home had chills, aches, nausea, vomiting and I just knew I had the flu. Went to my doctor the day and she said the shot should not have had this lingering effect and I had virus. Ended up getting an IV."

Db September 11, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Had the first dose in May and had no debilitating side effects except for severe pain at the site of the injection in the upper left arm. Felt like somebody hit me with a hammer at the injection site. The second dose nearly 3 months after was a different story. Starting the following day after that injection I had severe pain and soreness at the injection site which effected the mobility of the arm. Much worse were the extreme tiredness and flu like symptoms which lasted for about 5 days after the injection. The night sweating was so severe for 4 days, it caused me to wake up and change my bed garments several times each night. Even sheets and pillowcase we’re soaked. Now nearly 2 weeks after that second shot I have still not regained my full strength. I hope that the protection that is claimed by the manufacturer is true as I never want to experience the symptoms of shingles that I saw my dad go through"

Neil September 10, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Came here to see how long side effects last. Now wondering which is better: vaccine or get shingles and then use antiviral. A friend in 30s had shingles above one eye for which Valtrex antiviral helped a lot. My case: I'm 61 with minor health issues. Never reacted to other vaccines aside from slightly sore arm for a day. This is only day 2 after first shot, hoping it doesn't get worse as I am reading it can. Spent most of yesterday in bed with body aches, bad headache, fatigued and feeling "out of it." Temp is actually lower than normal as it is when I'm run down. Arm is very sore at injection site and hurts to lift. Tylenol is helping better than ibuprofen. Thought 2nd shot should go better, but reading otherwise for some makes me uncomfortable with that plan."

LALady (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Whoa. Doc gave me NO warning about side effects. Was there for something else and decided to get shot spur of the moment so I did no research on my own. Also had no idea each dose was $200! Had the original shingles vaccine and I assumed it was the same. It obviously is not. Healthy 59 yo. I had 24 hours of flu like symptoms from chills, aches, headache, right down to a seriously stuffed nose/thick mucous (gross but wish someone told me all this). Swollen gland that is sensitive to touch. Arm is incredibly sore but flu symptoms are the big problem. Take the shot on a Friday so you can lay low on the weekend . I took Aleve and it helped the aches tremendously. I will do the second shot only because I have seen some terrible shingles cases that friends have suffered through (including one close to an eye, potentially devestating). Stock up on chicken soup, Aleve, “Killing Eve” on BBCA, blankets and just buckle up."

Nycgal (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I'm a healthy 52 yr old female. Took 1st shingrix vaccine in April, 2018. Had very sore arm and mild flu like symptoms for 2-3 days. Then the itching started inside both arms. This lasted about 3 weeks and subsided. Got 2nd shingrix vaccine in August, 2018. Had mild flu like symptoms and sore arm again for 2-3 days...then the severe itching started on my neck, chin, and arm. It is so bad I have literally scratched the blood out and nothing helps. I visited my doctor last week and was told that the vaccine boosts the immune system so strongly that it can cause eczema type irritations that can last up to 3 months. I'm in my 5th week of miserable, sleep disturbing itching. I honestly wish I'd never taken this vaccine. I'm so miserable. None of the warnings mention itching being a long term side effect. I understand the mild flu like symptoms, but this itching has me very worried. Never experienced anything like this before."

Leo September 6, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I experienced only pain in my arm after the first shot, however, the second shot two month later was a different experience. Received the shot on Saturday at noon, and woke up at midnight with severe body aches, shivers, fever and nausea, eventually throwing up. The 101 fever, pains and fatigue continued to the next day. Otherwise I am a very healthy individual."

Eva September 4, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "This is an update to my post from yesterday where I had just gotten my 2nd dose of the Shingrex vaccine. I am very, very ill. The joint pain, body aches, fever, chills, severe arm pain all kicked in pretty swiftly. I also have diarrhea. My intestines are making crazy noises. My neck hurts so bad that I can't hold my head up. I tried 800 mg prescription strength ibuprofen. I didn't work. I tried a long hot shower. It worked while I was under the water but once I got out the joint pain returned. I tried a heated percussion massager all over my body. It didn't work. All I can say is be prepared for significant adverse side effects for both the first and second dose of this vaccine. Like another post I am left wondering what we will find out about this vaccine years down the road."

Tobysmom September 3, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I gave vaccine a 6 rating because I can’t rate the effectiveness of a vaccine. That said, the injection was somewhat more painful than I expected, and both the nurse administering it and the info sheet I was given referred to aches, etc. I barely paid attention to warnings and felt totally blindsided by low fever, upset stomach, body aches, and fatigue. I had the shot on Friday afternoon; today is Monday mid morning, and I feel almost back to normal. fluids, advil, rest. I will get the second dose but will plan this time to be out of commission for 3 days. Injection site still red, swollen, hot, but vastly preferable to how I’ve felt in past 48 hours."

barbara (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "60 year old healthy male received first dose June 6th. Mild injection site pain. Flu like symptoms struck within 24 hours and lasted three days. Took second dose Aug 31st. Severe injection site pain. Feels like I got hit by a baseball going 90 miles an hour. Pain lessening after 3 days. Arm is not immobilized just sore. The worst symptoms were the tiredness and flu like symptoms. Night sweats were extreme causing me to wake up totally drenched to the point of having to change my clothes. I guess my immune system is working well and mounting a good defense. Though painful and uncomfortable I would urge everyone to just plan accordingly when they get the shot but don’t avoid the vaccine or the second dose. Shingles is far worse and lasts far longer and can produce permanent neurological damage or death in rare instances."

Vincent September 3, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I had my first dose of Shingrix in June 2018. My pharmacist told me how painful the injection site may be afterwards and that I may experience flu-like symptoms. I got a pounding headache within the first few minutes. Then it hurt to move my arm. By the time I got home I was miserable. I felt like I had the flu and crawled in bed. It was too painful to lay on the arm where I had the injection. This lasted a week and I had a hard mass under the skin. The flu-like symptoms lasted a few days and the headache was intermittent. After a week I felt fine. It has been 2 1/2 months and I returned for my second dose of the vaccine today. I really didn't want to do it but I really don't want Shingles. So far I have the headache and my arm is killing me but I don't have the flu-like symptoms. I hope the symptoms are milder with the 2nd vaccine. The Shingrix vaccine reduces your chances of getting Shingles by 91% so I think the temporary discomfort is worth it."

Tobysmom1111 September 3, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Had first shot in June...arm pain, fatigue, felt fluish for 3 days. Second shot 3 months later, same issues. I have had reoccurring shingles on regular basis for years and so far the first dose has kept it away. Worth the several days of feeling sick vs reoccurring shingles! Time will tell, but for the first time I feel there is hope to keep this away. Never had Zostavax because it’s a live vaccine and did not want to trigger more episodes. Those who say shingles only occur once are wrong. Read online, reoccurring shingles is a real problem. Websites need to update the public and educate doctors who say it cannot occur more than one once."

Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "The first dose made me extremely ill - way worse than any flu I have ever had. It’s been a horrible experience. My left arm feels like someone stuck a knife in it and is still grinding it. I have had chills and extreme pain all over my body and a high fever. I will not even consider getting the second dose. Beware!!"

KT (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I received the first Shingrix shot on Monday at 1pm. While getting the vaccination, I was told to take a deep breath and exhale as the serum was injected. I suppose that’s because it is quite painful, and I never have any difficulties with other shots. My arm is sore (it is now Wednesday), but I’ve had several reactions. I woke up in the middle of the night after the injection with severe pain in my back, neck, and feet. The following day I was a little groggy. Today has been the worst. Fever, muscle pain, intensely tired, and tingling sensations in my face. I took a shower and feel like things are getting better by early evening. Glad I was able to stay home and rest!"

KV (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

"I got first shingrix shot Feb. 24. Only reaction was a sore arm. Second shot Aug. 23/18. Got really ill, fever, chills, couldn't eat, constipation, arm almost blistered at injection site, super tired. It is now day 3 and I am still tired, all the other symptoms are gone except for the itchiness at the injection site which is almost a huge blister and when I scratch it it hurts. I'm hoping tomorrow will be much better. Would rather go through a few days of discomfort than get shingles like my husband did."

Tessa August 26, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "62 yo female. Want to be sure to avoid shingles. I knew of and was told by pharmacist to expect pain more than usual for an injection site. Today is day 5 after 1 st injection. I'm doing okay, especially compared to some difficulties I've read about of others. My prominent issue has been the arm... The heat/redness of the muscle area is finally going away. I don't think I was expecting any other symptoms, and thankfully I haven't had them. Maybe only sluggishness and some joint discomfort, but nothing that got me ill. I don't want shingles. Based on what I've read and heard, I may adjust my schedule for the 2nd shot, just in case I run into problems."

Maggie (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

"Had my first dose one week ago at my doctor’s office. They played down side effects vs risk. Injection site felt like I was punched in the arm and was very sore for 5 days. Extreme fatigue every day. Now at day 7 with flu-like symptoms, aching, chills, headache, more fatigue and tingling scalp. Depending on how long this lasts, jury still out on shot #2. I have travelled extensively throughout the world and had many inoculations for 3rd world travel. Never before had a side effect. Otherwise, a very healthy 62 year old woman."

SanFranSue (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I wanted to write a review to let others know about the fatigue. I see others have similar comments. I'm not going to discourage anyone from the vaccine. If it keeps me from a future outbreak - I'd do it every year. Like others, I am wiped out. Still, I made it to the gym for light work outs. Yes, I'd compare it to light flu symptoms; head & body aches. I had the same with the 1st dose. Fortunately, I work from home & was functional, just sluggish. And, yes, it's like being punched in the arm - really hard. The injection is NOT bad. It's the after pain. You'll live. Suck it up & take the vaccine on a Friday. You should be good by Monday."

Tami (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "1st shot in May 2018 - slight headache the next day. My husband felt a bit worse than I did, but didn't keep us from work. 2nd shot Aug 2018 - same symptoms, but easier on my husband this time. I had headache, lethargy, general tiredness - but the worst part is a large itchy hive on my arm near the injection site. I'm on day 4 and hoping the itching stops soon. However, still better than getting shingles."

Itchy (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I received the 1st injection 9 days ago. I've had shingles twice previously. I sure don't want them again but I will not take the 2nd dose of this vaccine. I am experiencing fever chills and sweats still. The first couple days I took fever and pain reducer. I seemed fine aside from very sore shoulder. Redness itching and swelling as predicted at the injection site. Now I am ill. I began feeling this way the fourth evening after the injection. My joints ache. I have headaches.(I rarely have a headache). The CDC warns of none of this possibility. Read patient reviews and weigh the risks before you decide to take this vaccine. It sounds safe since it has only "killed" virus not live. It doesn't feel so safe right now."

Makenzie Lane (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "Neither the nurse or the doctor told me about the side effects. I have an autoimmune disease and at first I thought I was having some kind of flare from that, but this was different because it felt like the flu. I'm on day two, which was far worse than day one, and am hoping for some relief tomorrow. The only good thing is the I didn't get any reaction at the injection site, and the pain in my arm is gone. But the nausea, diarrhea, and body aches are full-blown. I'm so grateful I don't have to work tomorrow."

Nederlander (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis "I had the first injection in the left arm in Feb 18. Sore arm like I was punched. Second inj was in June. Not only can I barely use my left arm, but I am stiff in both legs/joints & have difficulty walking. I’m like a stiff old lady. I’m just 58! I had no problems like this until I took this vaccine. I regularly walk a couple of miles 3-4 times a week. Now, I struggle to get to the toilet in the mornings or any time I get up after sitting. I’m afraid this is going to be permanent!!!! I wish I had NEVER taken this vaccine!"

Vriddle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2018