User Reviews for Shingrix to treat Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis

Shingrix has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 450 ratings for the treatment of Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis. 33% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Shingrix Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Zoster, Prophylaxis.

Reviews for Shingrix

tscst10 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2021

“Had my COVID vaccine and thought the side effects were bad- fever, chills, muscle and joint aches, fatigue, anorexia, migraine. All disappeared after 24 hours. With Shingrix vaccine, I had all of the above plus a painful rash. The Shingrix side effects lasted 3 days for me. I'm a neurologist and treat patients with debilitating post-herpetic neuralgia down the face/eye, sciatic nerve, etc. PHN can eviscerate anyone physically and emotionally long-term so I bit the bullet and got the vaccine. My pharmacist told me I'd just get some redness at the injection site. That is not true. Be prepared to be out of commission for a few days.”

BeachGirl13 August 26, 2020

“Wednesday August 12, 2020 2nd Shingrix vaccine. 1st in March was pretty much uneventful. Sunday afternoon dizziness started. Headaches, night sweats, heavy legs, big toe twitching, legs shaking, cold even tho house was 80°. Felt out of it. No appetite. Eyes blurry. Sneezing. Ears ringing. Dry cough. Bad taste in mouth. Fatigue worst days 5 & 6. Itching burning skin, slight rash on around day 8. Random muscle pains and spasms. Super ANXIOUS, but I tend to be an overly stressed out type. Heart racing. Stomach not good day 10 & 11. No appetite, abdominal discomfort. Diarrhea on day 11 foul smell. Day 11 Slight night sweats, super dizzy. Day 13 BETTER Not 100%, but I’m feeling better. All lab work negative. I searched forums like this one to find out why I felt so horrible, other people confirmed similar responses to Shingrix. I wish more people would follow up afterwards. To share that it can and will get better.”

Jac · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

“I received first vaccine- thought I was fine until 24 hours later. Then I started with joint and muscle pain. Nausea, headache , fever and injection site pain. Nerve pain from shoulder to elbow like a sunburn for 3 days. Burned if I scratched it. Stayed In bed 3 days. Second injection worse. Both arms swelled, erythma and tenderness at injection site. Day two I experienced muscle and joint pain. Weird bone pain in breastbone. Headache, severe neck pain, left shoulder and scapular pain. I am 55 yo female. Healthy. It took about a week to feel good again. I still recommend the vaccine. I am a nurse and have cared for shingles patients. Brutal experience that can last for months with long term complications.”

Pc November 14, 2020

“I had my first Shingrix injection in August absolutely no problems. I have to admit I thought what’s the big deal, like a few others had commented. The second shot was three weeks ago. (November) I expected same result as first shot. Boy, was I wrong, about 12 hours later I was so cold shivered for 2 hrs put two blankets on finally stopped. Didn’t sleep well that night. For a week felt flu like, tired, weak, lightheaded, within a week I had muscle aches all over, like a had worked out for hours. It’s been 3 weeks now, still have muscle discomfort, the other symptoms going away. Never had reactions to a vaccine before!!”

Lane August 8, 2020

“Got my second of the two Shingrix shots. Had bad body aches the next day. Overall I was out of sorts, uncomfortable but ok. I little worse than than the first vaccine. I had shingles when I was 50 yo. I’m 57 now. Shingles was one of the worst, painful experiences of my life. I have scars and nerve damage that I hope will go away someday. The outbreak lasted 2 weeks. I use to think Shingles was just a thing that passes, I respect it now and what people go through. Also, you don’t know where your shingles will show up on your body. It could be anywhere, terrible and damaging around your eyes. My advice is, try to deal with the side effects the best you can. It’s a really effective vaccine and it will be worth the couple of days of discomfort you might experience.”

Suz October 18, 2020

“I am a 64 year old female in excellent health who received the 1st shot of the Shingrix vaccine on 10/6/20. I was not given a handout on the vaccine, nor was I told of any side effects. I developed a fever, blinding headache, shaking chills, weakness, joint & muscle pain. I had an itchy rash at the injection site. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck, & was bed bound all the next day. The following day I still felt terrible & profoundly weak. I suddenly went into an episode of A-fib (no history of heart disease). I was admitted to the hospital. Later, I still felt awful & developed a heart rate that was too low. While at my PCP for a follow up, I had to be rushed to the ER for extreme lightheadedness & weakness. I was treated with IV fluids. I saw a cardiologist, who determined I had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine that happens to 1 in a million people. My cardiac issues have not fully resolved and this has prevented me from working and leading my normal life.”

Eric · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“I received the first injection of Shingrix at 11:00 AM at my internist's office. The nurse kept telling me that it was a painful inoculation, worse than a tetanus shot. So I expected pain when the needle went into my upper arm, but it was barely noticeable. I thought the nurse had exaggerated. My arm was sore after an hour or so and I had a headache and felt tired, but again, I have had far worse. Fast forward twelve hours and every nerve in my body seems to be activated. I had severe stomach, head, joint and every other type of aching, burning, prickling crushing pain one associates with a bad flu. Chills and a mild fever were part of the ordeal. All this persisted through the night and the next day. Where I find myself now, hoping that I'm not in for another night of torture. Tylenol and Motrin have given some slight relief. They say that the second dose is worse than the first, so in two to six months, I will be facing a difficult decision about getting the second dose.”

Sherry · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2021

“My first injection of Shingrix was fine, no side effects. Two months later I received the second injection. What a nightmare. I had all the worst side effects, nausea, aching muscles, bad dizziness, chills, fever. The next day that turned into the worst cases of shingles. I had a week of pain to the bone in my leg. Had to have pain relievers to control the pain. After that came the burning nerve pain. I had no energy or desire to function. My shingles lasted about five weeks, and at four months I am still suffering with PRN in my thigh. It is gradually improving but can’t wait for this nightmare to be over. I am a very healthy 65 year old. I wouldn’t suggest this injection to anyone. It has a lot of nasty side effects and hopefully you don’t receive the shingles like I did. This vaccine needs MORE testing. I have heard too many horror stories!!!!!”

Dave in Chicago · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2021

“I had the J&J for Covid19 and it was almost without any side effects. I got my first shingles vaccine 2 months ago. I felt a little sick that night, but was basically fine. I just got my 2nd on July 9. A huge, bad difference. I had a fever that lasted about 18 hours, night sweats, sore muscles, and weird dreams. It's Sunday and I feel better. I believe this experience is worth it because shingles is awful. Also, I work for a pharma company and I believe in vaccines.”

Sudbury · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2021

“First injection was easy, very few side effects. Two months after the second injection, my arm is still aching all over. Feels like I have wrist carpal tunnel, tennis elbow and shoulder rotator cuff injury all at the same time. Have to be careful just to pick up my morning coffee, let alone anything heavier. This is really interfering with my life, no where in the vaccine info was listed this possible long term side effects, I understand from reviews that MANY others have similar manifestations of comparable issues! Not happy!”

Teri June 5, 2020

“1st dose Dec 2019 - muscle pain, joint pain, fever and chills, arm hurt all the way up into my shoulder. I’ve never reacted this badly to anything. I’m healthy no underlying conditions I’m 52 yo female. I put off 2nd dose as long as I could, didn’t want to deal with side effects especially w/covid happening. My mom and MIL (mother in law) both had shingles and I saw them suffer. It wiped my healthy mom out for a year, MIL had it on her face she had to go to ophthalmologist weekly because they worried it would go into her eye. Another friend had it on her butt cheek she said try to go months with no pants on, she said it was excruciating to wear clothes. Got 2nd dose yesterday, arm is sore and woke up in the middle night feeling like I had been hit by a truck fever, shivering, joint and muscle pain again, headache feel terrible. gonna take some meds and ride it out. Hope to never get shingles if its even remotely comparable to the shot after effects I do not want it.”

Emily · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2020

“Received the shingrix vaccine last nigh, along with the flu vaccine. Woke up this morning in excruciating pain in my left arm, barely had the ability to walk to bathroom. I have cold chills, muscle weakness and fatigue. I also feel like I have a earache. I am a Nurse for the state, and actually had to call off work. Even took 400 mg ibruphen with no relief.”

VetteM2112 April 9, 2021

“Got my first injection November 2019. Sore arm for a couple days, not too bad. Second injection February 12 2020. Not so good. Within a few hours I became very tired, nauseous and feverish. Slept all day until that evening when my wife woke me up concerned. She began asking questions that I could not respond to. The more I delayed answering, the more she got concerned. She thought I was having a stroke. She called one of her nurse friends with my symptoms and was told to call 911 or take me to the hospital. Three days in the hospital with stroke like symptoms. MRI, CT scans and blood work. Released on day three as I was beginning to recover from whatever it was. Side note: I have always been allergic to bee stings. Not today though. Last week I was stung on my leg and had no reaction. I believe this was all related to the vaccine, but I’m not a doctor. PS the neurologist had no idea what was wrong with me.”

Heidi September 5, 2020

“I’m a 57 year old female. I decided to get the vaccine because I know 2 people who had shingles. I’d never had a reaction to a vaccine before. I was sore after the shot but then also I developed a rash all over. My doctor told me it was pityriasis rosea. Related to shingles and chicken pox. The rash lasts 6 weeks to 6 months! There is no treatment for it. Seriously I feel like a leper it’s all over my body. I don’t know what to do about the second dose?”

MimosaSD October 11, 2020

“Took my first Shingrix dose in Jan 2020. The side effect was severe. Even though the headache was mild, the chills were unbearable. I had to spend 2 day wearing a thick coat while shivering. Naturally, I was reluctant to take the second dose until my doctor talked me into it. When I took the injection in Oct 2020, the side effect was much milder. I just got a slightly sore arm and a mild temperature. About two days later, I woke up at night totally soaked with sweat. After that, I was back to normal.”

Molly · Taken for less than 1 month July 20, 2021

“I received my first Shingrix vaccine yesterday from my local CVS. A mild headache developed after a couple of hours and I went to bed around 8pm feeling very tired but was unable to sleep. By 11pm I had a fever (101), chills and wild, racing thoughts. Two Tylenol PMs had no effect and I remained awake all night with throbbing pain in my lower back and joints. I forced myself out of bed at 1pm today and feel like I’ve gone several rounds with Mike Tyson but at least the fever seems to be subsiding. Hopefully the second vaccine will be uneventful but I’ll plan ahead, just in case. Having had Shingles at the age of 16 which covered my torso, scalp and spread dangerously close to my eyes, I definitely think the vaccine is worth it as I never want to experience that pain ever again.”

JAC1964 · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2020

“Just received my 2nd dose yesterday at 3 pm. Twelve hours later I woke up with flu-like symptoms. Twenty-four hours later feeling better but still ache. I also slept a lot and took Aleve. Same symptoms after my 1st dose. This time I received the 2nd shot after work on Friday so I would have the weekend to get over the side effects. I would say the side effects were slightly worse after the 2nd dose although I was told the 1st and 2nd does we’re the same. I would say I usually tolerate pain/illness pretty well. I Guess I would recommend the vaccine but plan on having adverse side effects. JAC”

Zephyr · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2020

“My husband and I got the first shot in February. Maybe a sore arm but nothing that I really remember and no hesitation to get second. Second shot in July. Both of us had extreme pain in our arm. I was sick - fever, headache, chills, and horrible joint and muscle pain along with debilitating fatigue for 3 days. My husband also had symptoms but not as severe as mine. After two and a half weeks my fatigue is still terrible And my husband’s arm is still sore. Even with these side effects it’s better than getting shingles. Really just wish we had been warned about them. This is the worst side effects I have had form a vaccine.”

Dick October 24, 2019

“Had shingrix vaccine in August 2019. First dose. Within 12 hours developed chills and shakiness so severe my juice glass flew from my hand and shattered on morning after. Getting hit by a truck would have been preferable. Had bouts of chills, shivers and shakes lasting up to two hours. Fever topped out at 104. After one week in contact with Doctor, they had me come to office, Sent to hospital with diagnosis of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS). After checking for infectious causes, was determined this was a reaction to shingrix vaccine. 2 weeks of fever over 102. 3 weeks over 101. Recurring days of chills, muscle and joint aches, headaches and light-headedness. After 3 months told this could go on for a while. This vaccine needs to be administered with very exacting warnings of side effects, which may be debilitating and long-lasting.”

Vg550 August 30, 2020

“I was told that the shingles shot would be a little more sore than the flu shot. I got the shingles shot in my right arm in the flu shot in my left arm on Thursday, August 27.... and the shingles shot did hurt more, however that would’ve been fine if that was the worst of it. Friday I couldn’t get out of bed, every joint in my body hurt, had a headache, no appetite and chills. Saturday body aches were gone but terrible diarrhea started, still had chills. Saturday night was a nightmare with the diarrhea. Today is Sunday and I am hoping the side effects subsides. I sent a quick note to my doctor and said she couldn’t drag me back to the office for the second shot. There was no way I would do this to my body or system again on purpose. I might add, I was feeling fine when I went to the doctors to get these shots.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

“Had shingles part 2 shot around 2 pm -started having pains in my arm bones later that evening. Took an Advil before bed and woke up with sore muscles, joints, chills & freezing cold & headache. Around noon took another Advil. Appetite was poor. Laid around all day - no energy. I’m a fairly active 69 yo so this was surprising. Nothing a person can’t handle just uncomfortable. This is day two and still feel the fever on my face.”

Don October 8, 2020

“Just a heads up. I had the first Shingrix vaccine a couple of months ago, just pain in my arm. I had the first pneumonia vaccine a year ago. I was due for the second vaccine for both. I went to Publix and got the second Pneumonia vaccine and the second Shingrix on the same day, big mistake. The Pharmacist assured me that getting them both together would not be a problem. Within 10 hours I had a fever, the chills, the sweats, headache and intense body aches. Not much sleep that first night. I started to improve after about 36 hours but after almost 3 days I’m still not myself. I normally have no reactions to vaccines but I think because I did both on the same day, my symptoms were elevated. I would never do that again. Of course, do what you want but I would say get one vaccine then go back in a few weeks and get the second.”

Anonymous August 23, 2020

“I received my first Shingrix vaccine on 8/14. I had a pneumonia vaccine the same day. Started feeling a little under the weather the next day. A couple of days later I started feeling extremely light headed and started running fever of 100.5-101.5. It is now 9 days after my shot and I am still running a fever. I can't say for sure that I am still having side effects from the vaccination but my doctor said to give it 2 weeks. I had a covid test just to rule it out. I had pretty bad arm pain for 3-4 days but nothing that stopped me from functioning. I got no warnings from the doctor that this could happen. Good thing no vacations were planned.”

Mugs · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2020

“I am 60 years old and in excellent health. I walk and/or run nearly every day. I was vaccinated with Shingrex yesterday. Felt achy last night. This morning my temp is at 100 and I feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck. It seems this is a pretty common side effect.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

“Had my first injection of Shingrix 6 days ago, 8/21 at a local pharmacy. The shot was administered by a student intern. He was very good, explained everything and I barely felt the injection. I was prepared for possibly severe symptoms as others have described here, however outside of a sore shoulder for several days, it was fine. Hoping for the same outcome for round two in a few months. BTW several others I know that have had the vaccine have had the same experience with no one I know having severe symptoms.”