User Reviews for Ambien (Page 9)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"For the first time I can get to sleep every night. It usually gives me about 5 hours of sleep, and if I wake up and take about 0.15 Klonopin, I can go back to sleep for another 3 hours. Feel rested for the first time in years! I don't take it until I am absolutely ready to lay down in bed, then lay down and think happy thoughts to carry with me to dream land. Previously, due to bipolar insomnia, I would take tons of Nyquil, Benadryl, Sominex, l-tyrosine, melatonin that only gave me a few hours sleep and I'd wake up and take more pills. For years I couldn't sleep in a bed but would wander through the house at night trying to get comfortable on the floor, etc. as my husband just bumping me would wake me up. I thank you Ambien!"

bipolar becky September 7, 2011

"I have been taking Ambien for about 6 or 7 years. I have been an insomniac since I was a teen. At first I would take my 10 mg and fall asleep in about 25 minutes. I would sleep through most of night but when it was time for alarm to go off to wake up kids and take them to school I would still wake up before the alarm went off, wide awake no groggy feeling at all. After taking it for a year it would take 1 1/2 hours to kick in which I would not remember anything. Then 4 yrs ago our 10yr old daughter died in an accident and Ambien became a God send. I have been able to sleep the last 4yrs away and Ambien has graciously taken my memories during that time so I can make it day by day. I can honestly say without Ambien I would not still be here."

cinsy September 6, 2011

"I have major insomnia due to other medications I am required to take. Doctor has me taking 30mg of Ambien before bed. It is GREAT for helping me to fall asleep but it does not keep me asleep."

Bonnieplus3 August 24, 2011

"I have read so many things and do not know what to believe. I have post traumatic stress disorder and have taken sleep aides from the health food store which left me with Vertigo and not feeling well. I have not had any of the usual side effects with Ambien and it leaves me refreshed however I do have one weird side effect and I was not sure at first if it was the Ambien. But it is. I am usually a person who is cold and likes the heat. But I have gotten heat sick several times and living in NYC where there is no air and we are constantly having heat waves it has made me sensitive to heat. I am super sensitive and usually if there is a side effect to be had I get it but really I have not had anything except the heat exhaustion. I mean sweating, etc."

Pinksugarbaby August 10, 2011

"I've been using Ambien for a of couple months now, only taking it a few times a week when I think I'm going to need a good nights sleep. My sleep issue was that I'd wake up at around 1:30am and not be able to fall back asleep. When I take an Ambien I fall asleep about 45 minutes after taking it, and don't wake up until my alarm comes on. I only use it when I know I'll have trouble sleeping (like Monday Mornings and I've never experienced any weird behaviors like others I've read about."

SleeplessinMV July 25, 2011

"I'm 63 years old and suffer from insomnia and pain from bulging and herniated discs and have undergone three discectomy surgeries. I have been taking Ambien for many years and started with the name brand (10mg) while also trying Ambien CR (12.5mg), then Lunesta, and then back to generic Ambien (10mg). This generic version has been working very well for several years allowing me to get a full night's sleep without any side effects and it usually acts quickly. "

lahtnesor July 23, 2011

"I've been on Ambien for 2 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been an insomniac all my life and Ambien is a miracle cure. My husband and kids absolutely hate it because they say I'm a totally different person when I'm on it. I never have recollection of anything and I don't think it's fair that they blame me for something I don't even know I'm doing. All I know is the sleep is excellent and if you're considering this medicine it's good to have someone nearby who's a light sleeper."

Anonymous June 29, 2011

"Ambien works well for me, I take 5 mg. Some nights if husband is snoring very loud I need 10 mg. I take it only when needed, like traveling or maybe twice a month. My problem is the next night I will not sleep without Ambien I have to have some wine to relax me, then I'll sleep, next night I am fine."

Anonymous June 24, 2011

"Ambien has been the only insomnia medicine that has worked consistently for the 7 years I have been taking it. I was on a combination of Ambien and Xanax but lost my healthcare coverage so am on Ambien only. I totally have to thank the Ambien makers because my life was a messy blur of nonsleep. Now, I sleep and sleep well. "

cindiwindi1025 June 12, 2011

"I have been taking ambien for a few years and it has made a profound change in my sleeping routines. I am getting better sleep than ever!"

Airline Pilot June 4, 2011

"I have been taking Ambien for about 3 years now off and on. I can't sleep at night and most nights when I do take Ambien I lay awake. When I take the Ambien it takes sometimes 35 minutes to an hour before I feel anything. I recently discovered I have been sleep eating. I was dreaming I was eating cinnamon buns and when I woke up I found the box of cinnamon buns were all gone. Plus I have found I have been posting stuff on Face Book and I don't remember doing it. Even though I have found out I have been doing these things but I can't sleep so to me it's worth taking. Glad to know I don't sleep eat every night."

Redpr4 May 31, 2011

"I have used Ambien for 6 years. It worked very well all the time before they introduced the generic brands. The generics are NOT the same as the original and do not produce the same results. They leave me hung over and each manufacturer has his own brew thus are unpredictable in how they will perform. I have offered to pay the difference to get the real Ambien but with no success. Sure wish this wasn't so expensive."

mostlytired May 30, 2011

"Took my first Ambien last night at 10. Started with half like my doctor said. Took the other half at 1am since first half obviously didn't work. Here I sit at 5:30am and my eyes still haven't closed. Only difference with me is that when I didn't take I sleep a couple of hours and feel fine. Taking Ambien I don't sleep at all but feel tired!"

Anonymous May 27, 2011

"I have had difficulty going to sleep and was prescribed this medicine. It does help me sleep for several hours."

Avrahom May 24, 2011

"Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but when it does ...it does."

moi82 April 15, 2011

"I've been taking Ambien since January 2006 and about 4 weeks ago I began to have issues sleeping only been getting 2-3 hrs a night. I called my psychologist and family doctor about the situation. I was given Lunesta through my family doctor. Tried that for a couple days and couldn't still couldn't sleep. Then I thought it was my Wellbutrin so I went "cold turkey" on that for about a week until I almost had a break down. Then I started taking half of my Wellbutrin and feel a little better. My psychologist just gave me a prescription for the Ambien Cr and only have taken for 2 nights so far. I just want some sleep.. my grades are suffering and so is my job."

runky22 April 5, 2011

"I find that if I take the Ambien and go directly to bed it works very well. If I take it and then delay going to bed by doing dishes or cleaning before bed I have unusual effects. After sleeping for a very short period of time I will get up, go to the kitchen and make waffles. This has happened a handful of times. I'm always surprised to have my family thanking me for taking the trouble for making waffles. Really no trouble since I don't remember any of it."

Lisavawa March 22, 2011

"Best sleep medicine."

hagupachu February 22, 2011

"When you take Ambien make SURE you are in bed. Also, do not drink when you are taking this medicine."

goodoloverboy February 1, 2011

"I am concerned by what I read about many of the side effects but before I took Ambien I never slept well. I have been taking Ambien for about a year and sleeping better (not great). I stopped for two weeks and didn't sleep well at all."

jrmastic January 13, 2011

"I finally found an alternative to Ambien in Silenor. My doctor prescribed me some and so far have been very very happy with the results. Full 7 hours of sleep without waking and the best part.. No daytime drowsiness and no addiction! Finally. It's about time. Silenor where have you been all these years?"

sleepytime4me January 5, 2011

"Periodically, I take Ambien. I have tried other sleep aids, Lunesta, Seroquel and others. However Ambiem is the one sleep prescription that allows me a good nights sleep and wake up without a drugged feeling. I am then ready to 'take on the world'. Ambien is great and I would definitely recommend it."

Bette68 January 3, 2011

"10-20mg prescription for sleep. Took it once, felt nothing after an hour (10mg), took 10 mg more which did the trick. Next thing I was waking up wearing one sock (half way) and nothing else except underpants, shivering: aha! It had been the cold that woke me. Blankets damp. Checking sheets and mattress - relieved to find them dry. At the time I lived in a big house with 5 other college students. I threw on some sweats and found them all gathered waiting for me.I soon learned that I had carried on like a mad man the night before: verbally harassing my house mates before emerging from the bathroom with a water logged roll of toilet paper which I wielded like a sword. It seemed to do the trick. I was kicked out of my house. *( 1 = 3 total)"

JakeLaderle December 24, 2010

"Worked for sleep but I ran out one time and realized I got very, very depressed on it. Plus had joint and jaw pain all the time. Took 2 years to figure out what caused it."

ellenf2002 December 23, 2010

"Worked well for the most part. I found that, on average, once every 7-10 days I become somewhat anxious and agitated (making it hard to sleep) after taking the Ambien. I don't know why it only happened occasionally but it was more common when I took 5 mg rather than 10 mg. In the end I switched to Restoril (temazepam) 30 mg. Dose 5-10 mg at night Age 21 For primary insomnia"

raraider December 22, 2010