User Reviews for Ambien (Page 9)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I'm 63 years old and suffer from insomnia and pain from bulging and herniated discs and have undergone three discectomy surgeries. I have been taking Ambien for many years and started with the name brand (10mg) while also trying Ambien CR (12.5mg), then Lunesta, and then back to generic Ambien (10mg). This generic version has been working very well for several years allowing me to get a full night's sleep without any side effects and it usually acts quickly. "

lahtnesor July 23, 2011

"I've been on Ambien for 2 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been an insomniac all my life and Ambien is a miracle cure. My husband and kids absolutely hate it because they say I'm a totally different person when I'm on it. I never have recollection of anything and I don't think it's fair that they blame me for something I don't even know I'm doing. All I know is the sleep is excellent and if you're considering this medicine it's good to have someone nearby who's a light sleeper."

Anonymous June 29, 2011

"Ambien works well for me, I take 5 mg. Some nights if husband is snoring very loud I need 10 mg. I take it only when needed, like traveling or maybe twice a month. My problem is the next night I will not sleep without Ambien I have to have some wine to relax me, then I'll sleep, next night I am fine."

Anonymous June 24, 2011

"Ambien has been the only insomnia medicine that has worked consistently for the 7 years I have been taking it. I was on a combination of Ambien and Xanax but lost my healthcare coverage so am on Ambien only. I totally have to thank the Ambien makers because my life was a messy blur of nonsleep. Now, I sleep and sleep well. "

cindiwindi1025 June 12, 2011

"I have been taking ambien for a few years and it has made a profound change in my sleeping routines. I am getting better sleep than ever!"

Airline Pilot June 4, 2011

"I have been taking Ambien for about 3 years now off and on. I can't sleep at night and most nights when I do take Ambien I lay awake. When I take the Ambien it takes sometimes 35 minutes to an hour before I feel anything. I recently discovered I have been sleep eating. I was dreaming I was eating cinnamon buns and when I woke up I found the box of cinnamon buns were all gone. Plus I have found I have been posting stuff on Face Book and I don't remember doing it. Even though I have found out I have been doing these things but I can't sleep so to me it's worth taking. Glad to know I don't sleep eat every night."

Redpr4 May 31, 2011

"I have used Ambien for 6 years. It worked very well all the time before they introduced the generic brands. The generics are NOT the same as the original and do not produce the same results. They leave me hung over and each manufacturer has his own brew thus are unpredictable in how they will perform. I have offered to pay the difference to get the real Ambien but with no success. Sure wish this wasn't so expensive."

mostlytired May 30, 2011

"Took my first Ambien last night at 10. Started with half like my doctor said. Took the other half at 1am since first half obviously didn't work. Here I sit at 5:30am and my eyes still haven't closed. Only difference with me is that when I didn't take I sleep a couple of hours and feel fine. Taking Ambien I don't sleep at all but feel tired!"

Anonymous May 27, 2011

"I have had difficulty going to sleep and was prescribed this medicine. It does help me sleep for several hours."

Avrahom May 24, 2011

"Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but when it does ...it does."

moi82 April 15, 2011

"I've been taking Ambien since January 2006 and about 4 weeks ago I began to have issues sleeping only been getting 2-3 hrs a night. I called my psychologist and family doctor about the situation. I was given Lunesta through my family doctor. Tried that for a couple days and couldn't still couldn't sleep. Then I thought it was my Wellbutrin so I went "cold turkey" on that for about a week until I almost had a break down. Then I started taking half of my Wellbutrin and feel a little better. My psychologist just gave me a prescription for the Ambien Cr and only have taken for 2 nights so far. I just want some sleep.. my grades are suffering and so is my job."

runky22 April 5, 2011

"I find that if I take the Ambien and go directly to bed it works very well. If I take it and then delay going to bed by doing dishes or cleaning before bed I have unusual effects. After sleeping for a very short period of time I will get up, go to the kitchen and make waffles. This has happened a handful of times. I'm always surprised to have my family thanking me for taking the trouble for making waffles. Really no trouble since I don't remember any of it."

Lisavawa March 22, 2011

"Best sleep medicine."

hagupachu February 22, 2011

"When you take Ambien make SURE you are in bed. Also, do not drink when you are taking this medicine."

goodoloverboy February 1, 2011

"I am concerned by what I read about many of the side effects but before I took Ambien I never slept well. I have been taking Ambien for about a year and sleeping better (not great). I stopped for two weeks and didn't sleep well at all."

jrmastic January 13, 2011

"I finally found an alternative to Ambien in Silenor. My doctor prescribed me some and so far have been very very happy with the results. Full 7 hours of sleep without waking and the best part.. No daytime drowsiness and no addiction! Finally. It's about time. Silenor where have you been all these years?"

sleepytime4me January 5, 2011

"Periodically, I take Ambien. I have tried other sleep aids, Lunesta, Seroquel and others. However Ambiem is the one sleep prescription that allows me a good nights sleep and wake up without a drugged feeling. I am then ready to 'take on the world'. Ambien is great and I would definitely recommend it."

Bette68 January 3, 2011

"10-20mg prescription for sleep. Took it once, felt nothing after an hour (10mg), took 10 mg more which did the trick. Next thing I was waking up wearing one sock (half way) and nothing else except underpants, shivering: aha! It had been the cold that woke me. Blankets damp. Checking sheets and mattress - relieved to find them dry. At the time I lived in a big house with 5 other college students. I threw on some sweats and found them all gathered waiting for me.I soon learned that I had carried on like a mad man the night before: verbally harassing my house mates before emerging from the bathroom with a water logged roll of toilet paper which I wielded like a sword. It seemed to do the trick. I was kicked out of my house. *( 1 = 3 total)"

JakeLaderle December 24, 2010

"Worked for sleep but I ran out one time and realized I got very, very depressed on it. Plus had joint and jaw pain all the time. Took 2 years to figure out what caused it."

ellenf2002 December 23, 2010

"Worked well for the most part. I found that, on average, once every 7-10 days I become somewhat anxious and agitated (making it hard to sleep) after taking the Ambien. I don't know why it only happened occasionally but it was more common when I took 5 mg rather than 10 mg. In the end I switched to Restoril (temazepam) 30 mg. Dose 5-10 mg at night Age 21 For primary insomnia"

raraider December 22, 2010

"I was prescribed this after suffering from insomnia for several years. Tried OTC sleeping pills which made me feel hyper all night and just a sick overall feeling. Ambien is not for long-term use, as I have learned. Ambien was fantastic the first year I took it. I would look forward to taking it, feeling peaceful, and going to bed. In the past year, I take it, feel sick and hungover-y, and decide to go lay down. I do fall asleep but wake up in the morning feeling sick and with a headache. I have to drag myself out of bed. I know it is from taking Ambien for too long, so I am switching to something else. Was helpful for about a year."

Alibee December 18, 2010

"I have taken Ambien for a few years due to night shift work. I went to a swing shift and now am not working. But after 18 years of night shift I can't get to sleep before 5 or 6 am. I just lay there. I started taking 20mg at bedtime and immediately noticed I was telling my boyfriend things I did not remember. I once got up and put a dozen eggs on to boil and went back to bed. I have a old stove that works sometimes, Thank GOD it did not work. The eggs did not get cooked and no fire. I have been so depressed after I wake up the next day. I just have to stop the Ambien and deal with the sleep problem. My boyfriend has slept on the couch a couple of times because I am trashing around and talking to him."

KAT6754 December 17, 2010

"I've been taking Ambien occasionally for the past 3 weeks following a knee replacement surgery. The Doctor said it is very common to have sleep issues after a knee replacement and sent me home with a script. I have to say I use it 2-3 times a week with no problems. I wake up refreshed and so far no weird side effects."

Chris S. December 12, 2010

"I have only been taking Ambien for 3 months or so. I too have insomnia. I can get to sleep but wake up and can't get back to sleep. My experience with Ambien has been crazy. I have had a phone conversation and made plans to go to lunch with a friend, and when she called the next day to see if we were still on, I had no memory of our conversation. I have cooked scrambled egg/cheese breakfast at 11pm and put it away for breakfast the next day. Last night, however, was the scariest. I vaguely remember sweeping up hair, so I looked in the garbage this morning and was relieved to not find any hair. I passed it off as a dream. Then I took a good look in the mirror, my bangs on the left side are now only 2" long. How embarrassing!"

Anonymous December 7, 2010

"Ambien CR was prescribed to me for long term use after I was only able to get a 3 hours of sleep per night due to insomnia. It did help me get to sleep (took effect within 30 minutes on an empty stomach) and stay asleep. However, it also makes things seem 3D that aren't (like text on a computer screen), and gives an overall "trippy" feeling. Ambien CR also has a rather strong hangover effect that can last awhile (up to 12 hours from the time it was taken.) "

harvardguy December 5, 2010