User Reviews for Zolpidem (Page 8)

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Insomnia 586 reviews 110 medications

7.5
Summary of Zolpidem reviews 586 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Zolpidem

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Works fine but the rebound insomnia can be awful. Used sparingly it can be a useful medicine. Once again, watch for the rebound insomnia."

epidoctor (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2014

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I've had horrible insomnia since I was a child. Diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few years ago. Ambien is not the holy grail. You build up a tolerance over the years but 12.5 is as high as most doctors will go ) from 10, 8 years ago). Pluses for Ambien - it will put you to sleep; no half-life so no grogginess in the morning. Minuses- it will put you to sleep but generally not keep you asleep. Thus the waking up wide awake at 3 a.m. There is now intermezzo - and sublingual 3.5 dose of Ambien meant for this problem - works for me 50% of the time- otherwise I just stay up. Another minus - if you take Ambien on a full stomach IT WILL NOT WORK. I generally eat before 5 and allow 5 hours before I take it. But in all - a savior!"

insomiac March 3, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Ambien has been a huge help to me. I have horrible hot flashes whenever I try to fall asleep and end up awake all night. When I take half an Ambien I am able to fall asleep and I do not feel tired or out of it the next day. I am so grateful for this medication. It's helped the quality of my life substantially. I've never experienced the side effects others mention, I simply fall asleep."

DebbieGrateful (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2014

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I find plates/bowls with food on them in the night."

April angel (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2014

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Great. Just take them 5 mins before bed."

diva0226 February 17, 2014

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I have been taking Ambien on and off for 8 years for severe insomnia, mostly related to anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. Over time my body has built up a dependence and a tolerance. I will lay awake till 5 am if I don't take it miserable and exhausted for days. The generic doesn't seen to work as well and since I have been on it so long I usually have to take 20mg to get a full nights sleep, but with certain generics I still wake up at 3am and can't go back to bed. It has been a God send over the years as I tried everything else. I was treated for depression but those medications made it harder to sleep. At some point I would like to stop being dependent on the medicine but every time I try to quit I go through weeks of with no sleep."

Bad sleeper February 4, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Age 66 with advanced arthritis, multiple spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease. Awaken refreshed after 9+ hours without usual back or muscle pain. Dosage only 5 mg. Absolutely awesome! Only up to use restroom once or twice and able to go straight back to sleep. Only problem. Insurance limits me to 90/year. Yeah, only 1.7 nights a week do I get decent sleep and pain relief."

gramasha (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I've been taking Ambien for about 8 years now due to chronic insomnia. Multiple medical issues have caused most of the problem with not sleeping. I already have 3 fusions in my neck (one of which is falling apart and causing a compressed spinal cord that my NS is trying to avoid further surgery on so that I don't have to have rods in addition to the screws and plates that are already in there) plus I have laminectomy from L2 to S1 with bulging discs, fibromyalgia, bone on bone arthritis in both knees and I also need both hips replaced. Oh, there are also a couple of bulging discs and bone spurs in my cervical spine in addition to the problems already mentioned. I have never had any side effects or trouble with the Ambien at all."

MistyLynn5 January 10, 2014

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I have fibromyalgia so I wake up in pain this allows me to rest. "

alzora January 10, 2014

For Insomnia: "Zolpidem provides a fabulous alternative med for sleep to OTC's {over the counters}. It's a relaxing but also effective means of quickly falling asleep. If only the scientists could modify the meds- so zolpidem does NOT cause next day grogginess & drowsiness; in susceptible individuals. Thank you."

Mr. Strongheart (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2014

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I have terrible chronic insomnia. I have safely taken this medication for over 12 years, with no significant side effects. Go to bed as soon as you take the medication. In my case the window for working is very short---7-10 minutes. If it hasn't helped me sleep by 15 minutes, it isn't going to help for that particular time. I would recommend this medication to anyone!"

phantom2jetpilot (taken for 10 years or more) December 26, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "This medicine works to get me to sleep and stay asleep. HOWEVER I quickly become dependent on it and cant get to sleep without it so I can't take it as needed. Also I noticed that I seem to need larger doses rapidly. My insomnia issues are generally manageable if I avoid caffeine and don't eat too close to bedtime."

ona katiya November 17, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Wonderful medication!!"

fastjetpilot (taken for 10 years or more) November 8, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Ambien CR 12.5 works for me, but, for some reason I can't take the generic. Negates my anti-depressant (doctor has tried me on different anit-depressants & does it on all of them.) Has anyone else had this problem? Very weird."

Kattigirl November 1, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "It truly works great! I am so happy that my doctor prescribed it for me for my insomnia."

Reservechic October 26, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Life time insomnia, 5 mg ambien is good for me. One half hour before bedtime I take 5 mg, turn off tv, put books aside, computer is off and I am in bed. Generally wake up 7 hrs later thanking the sleep Gods for a good night!"

Kaykaypr (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Hi- 43 year old female with chronic pain & insomnia. For whatever reason, Ambien worked for me quite well a decade ago. Today, it no longer works. I even had a DNA rest done to see if I metabolize this medicine differently, but it was "normal". I do not go into a deep sleep, ever. Rather, I take many "naps", constantly dreaming-meaning I never get out of REM, so I'm constantly exhausted. I, too, have tried every other product on the market (prescription) to no avail. Ten years ago, I'd have given it a solid 8. Best wishes to all of you who suffer from this horrible condition, especially those with other conditions. Lack of sleep certainly exacerbates what you're body is already dealing with. Good luck..."

TMToni October 22, 2013

For Insomnia: "Don't keep me asleep and have weird dream with this medication"

Nika30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2013

For Insomnia: "Some nights it works great, others not so much, but overall one of the best sleep aids."

mikel52588 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I have many incurable diseases that are very painful. One of those is called Fibromyalgia. When you have Fibromyalgia, you rarely-if ever go to Stage 4 sleep. Without Ambien, I can be awake for 2-3 days. In pain, exhausted, crying and not able to sleep. I have been on all OTC medications for sleep. I have also tried Ambien CR (which for some reason doesn't work at all for me), Lunesta, Sonata, and chloral hydrate. (For those who don't know Chloral Hydrate is VERY strong). None of those worked. Ambien does!"

llcmal (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2013

For Insomnia: "By far, the best sleep medication out there. After trying sleeping medicine after sleeping medicine, I finally found one that actually worked. It works like a charm every time. Thank you Ambien for giving me my life back!"

Johnny82 September 28, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I have taken this in addition to Benadryl for the last five years and noticed that it seems to work within 20 or 30 minutes as opposed to Benadryl which takes about an hour. The problem is if you take it too early before going to bed you may miss the window period and lie awake in bed restless. I've never had any of the adverse side effects like weird dreams or sleepwalking but it also seems to wake me up eight hours after taking it regardless of the time. It's probably the best as needed medicine for insomnia but would not recommend of an everyday basis."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I work at a bar. Last night was the first night I started Ambien and I fell right to sleep, woke up early, went for a jog I feel amazing."

Dannelley September 6, 2013

Edluar (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I've had insomnia since my back surgery 2 years ago and tried several sleeping pills like Ambien and Lunesta. Edluar 10mg is the only one that works for me. I take it every night as long as I live."

Narci August 24, 2013

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "After a car accident where I suffered a head injury I had horrible insomnia worsened by pre-existing fibromyalgia. Nothing over the counter was working at all to help me sleep. My doctor put me on this. When it works, it's awesome. I cannot have any food on my stomach if I want this to work, though. I don't take it until I've washed my face, brushed my teeth & am actually in bed for the night. That's the trick! I hate that the FDA cut dosage by half for women- the lower dose doesn't work for me because I'm big/tall. Weight makes a difference in this meds case. Not everyone sleep-drives or sleepwalks on this."

Liz1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2013