User Reviews for Viibryd

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Viibryd.

Major Depressive Disorder
5.8

Depression
6.6

Summary of Viibryd reviews 6.2 537 reviews

Reviews for Viibryd

For Depression "I am 27 years old and I started taking anti depressants around 19 years old my first medicine celexa worked great until it wore off. I went off the deep end in a bad way , terrible thoughts constant anxiousness and worrying . I also suffer from anxiety as well so it really hit hard ! My doctor proscribed me vibryd 10 mg ! I felt amazing immediately after a brain shock ! Then he bumped me to 20mg then 40mg . The 40mg dose had me feeling like I was going to come out of my body felt very weird ! I went back on 20mg for a while now I'm on 10mg ! The thing is no medicine is a miracle drug you have to be strong and think positive thoughts with depression or anxiety or it's a vicious cycle ! Always talk to people or do anything to get your mind occupied on other things !"

Houston Alan November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This drug is dangerous. The side effects are horrible and the withdrawal process to get off of the drug is arguably worse, if that is even possible. This drug should be taken off the market."

Randomusername (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am 21 and have been on Viibryd for 4 years. It is a miracle for me. No drug is not gonna come with out side effects, you gotta figure out what drug is worth the side effects. My favorite thing is the energy it gives me. NO other medicine has given me the right amount of energy, not too much, but enough to feel it kick in. However, if on a high dose, DON'T miss a day. Horrible brain shocks and tremors. I'm on 40mg daily. No other medicines with it."

edasgfl (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Had been using Sertraline for almost 8 years, no major problems 75mg dose. Switched to Viibryd when I wanted something that would allow me to be a little more energetic and increase libido. Things were fine the first 2 weeks, no side effects but no increase in energy really. Then I started having problems grinding my teeth and couldn't relax my jaw, anxiety increased even w/ taking Clonazepam. Not to mention sleep was hard to come by and wouldn't be refreshing. Be careful with this"

C User 1212 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "From day one, YES day one, I turned into an irritable, annoyed, aggressive person. I gave it a week, thinking my body was just adjusting. I stayed "raged", we'll call it. Talked to my pharmacist, she recommended that I not keep taking it. I feel much better off of it. Will try something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had tried everything. Other drugs affected my sex life, made me gain weight, made me slow. Viibryd has been a life saver. The only thing that bothers me is that there won't be a generic for 3-5 years and without an HMO or Healthcare plan it is about $270 a month. I am lucky to have been employed continuously the time I have been on it. A tip - ask your doctor for sample packs and hoard them. A second tip - always google for coupons on any prescription. Viibryd has some "first year" discounts"

jtwrevo (taken for 10 years or more) October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "If you don’t like to sleep this is the medication for you. After being on 40 mg for 14 months I am decreasing my dosage to 20 mg. I have had the worst 14 months of my life with difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep. The drug works for depression but does affect my sleep patterns and that is not ok. Here’s hoping the lower dose lets me sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "The first week of taking 10mg of Viibryd I did okay with the exception of diarrhea; then the anxiety began to wane. I still had "anger issues" so the doctor upped the dose to 20mg a day. That was okay for a couple weeks until all of a sudden, I have terrible anxiety, very bad nightmares, bruxism (clenching teeth) and bad headaches. I try to not to clench my teeth, but I go right back to clenching without realizing it. I dropped the dosage down to 10mg a day and I'm still not doing well. I'm about to call the doctor and tell him what the side effects are and to choose something else...or nothing at all."

Ferrari312P October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Viibryd for years now. It was extremely successful at taking away suicidal depression and and a extreme social anxiety, due to mild aspergers. It also gave me a tremendous amount of energy. After a good amount of time with 40mg a day dose, I started experiencing side effects. The first side effect was upset stomach, with diarrhea. Next I started noticing mental exhaustion, and slight dry mouth. Then the side effects went to severe Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) issues, and tension headaches, sometimes accompanied by neck region night sweats. Then my doctor and I decided to cut the Viibryd down to 20 mg a day. I have been on the 20 mg for a while now, the TMJ is gone, all other side effects have been reduced. Over all happy still."

RicHM1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Been on Viibryd for 6 years @ 40mg/day. Although it was great for the anger management and depression, I gained 65 pounds despite working out and started losing my hair in huge clumps. I still couldn't sleep through the night and noticed that I couldn't focus anymore for even short periods of time. My new doctor told me yesterday that all of the side effects that Viibryd WASN"T supposed to have, it ended up having anyway (listed above). Glad to be going off and see what changes happen. Be cautious if/when you do go off, must step down and it takes about a month. Headaches are horrible but do go away. Good luck!"

BellaRosesmom October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on & off antidepresants most my adult life & have tried many. Was just switched from celexa to viibryd about 1 month ago & it has been a living nightmare. This has by far been the worst med I have ever been on. I have been an emotional wreck & sick as hell. Nausea, dizzy, shaky, jittery, heart racing, weight gain, headaches, anger, crying & several more. I have actually had to pull my car off the road & sit because I was so sick. I can't think straight at all. Tried tapering down from 20mg to 15mg for a week & I felt like I was dying, so went back to 20mg. I feel like I belong in the mental ward. I see my Dr in a few days. Horrible drug, I do not recommend at all! Rather be depressed"

Shelly mcaleer September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have taken many antidepressants over the past 20 years (Lexapro, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Remeron) and Viibryd is the best I have taken. I loved Lexapro and took it for 15 years before it finally lost its effectiveness and I didn't think I'd find anything better, but Viibryd is as good as Lexapro for me without the negative side sexual effects. The one caveat is that unlike the previous SSRI's I have to take Viibryd in the morning rather than at night or I get terrible insomnia. With my dose in the morning I now have literally no noticible side effects and my mood, motivation, and motivation for things are all elevated. Like any antidepressant there are negative side effects the first 2-4 weeks but those go away so hang in there!"

James47 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Could not judge benefits because of side effects of diarrhea and nausea."

Ljmc (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Started on 10mg of Viibryd and have been taking it for over 6 weeks. First week I experienced being "spacey", diarrhea and no appetite. After the first week, I started to feel better and have improved quite a bit. Anxiety is gone but still have "anger" issues, although not as bad prior to Viibryd. Asking the doctor to up the dosage to 20mg to possible help with anger issues. Otherwise, Viibryd is about the best anti-depressant I've ever taken. Much better than Wellbutrin/Zoloft/Prozac/Celexa/etc."

Ferrari312P August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING THIS! I took it back it 2014 for a few months and took my dose about 4 hrs late. Let me tell you, I thought I was going to have to be put in a psych ward. I laid down to go to sleep and had brain zaps (loud bang and pops in your ears that aren't really there). I saw birds dying at my face, I felt a demon trying to smother me into my bed and saw children burning in a house! All because my dose was late. My Dr told me to wean off immediately. I was terrified to lay down at night because this continued to happen while I was trying to get off it. NEVER BEEN SO THANKFUL IN MY LIFE TO BE RID OF SOMETHING! After my experience and reading about others' experiences, I can't believe it's still available to ruin lives!"

Tennessegirl August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've tried quite a few antidepressant meds over the last 20 or so years and this one is the worst. I've had nausea, bad abdominal pains, bloating, diarrhea, and intensified anger and rage. After the first week I contacted my Physician's office because I was feeling worse. The nurse contacted me back and said the doctor wanted me to continue the medication because I hadn't been on it long enough. I've been out on it for almost a month now and I'm getting off of this trash. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

Osbert77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've tried numerous anti depressants with varying degrees of success and failures. I transitioned to Viibryd from Trentellix. I started out on 10mgs per day and titrated up to 40 mgs. Within the first week my mood and demeanor became more positive. I stopped thinking about suicide. I did experience some side effects such as vivid nightmares and the inability to sleep. Major trouble sleeping at anytime. I told my doctor and she added Zyprexa 10mgs at night. Finally I could sleep. I'm going to see if she'll increase it a little more. This combination works wonders for me. If Viibryd alone isn't working for you try adding an anti psychotic or mood stabilizer. I feel really good on both of these medications. Finally, something worked."

Srolen (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Less than a week ago I reviewed Viibryd. Called my Dr as I am so confused about this med. She says give it a least 6 was. to work, which is ridiculous. This med has SOME good effects, doesn't cause sexual problems, I'm getting a lot done around the house , energetic, excellent concentration BUT I'm a nervous wreck, sleep 2hours at a time, horrible nightmares now about people ganging up on me and I'm swearing at them in anger. Ruined my relationship with adult daughter and she cut me out of her life and my grandchildrens. I'm perfectly fine until I'm NOT, uncontrollable rage, suicidal feelings ( won't act on them I hope) , cry , sob uncontrollably. Sopping wet with sweats/chills during my sleep, nasty to my husband. Stop or stay on???"

DbLH (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "After working my way up to 40 mg a day, the vivid horrible dreams stopped.. Mood wasn't much different. After I think 4 days on the 40 mg, I had a black out rage that landed me in in the psych ward for 2 weeks and now doing a partial program. One Dr thinks it might be due to the fact that I had gastric bypass. Don't know but I will NEVER use that again."

Celnik August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was on viibryd for just about a year the first 8 months were wonderful with issues of exhaustion here and there. Then the last few months I was on it my anxiety became so unmanageable after stopping viibryd I had little withdrawals thank the good lord because I have missed a dose of viibryd before and the nightmares are god awful. I'm really hoping to find a happy medium with medication its been an on going battle of finding something that works for almost 5 years now."

Southernbelle42392 August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "nausea, diarrhea, vivid dreams,Two days on starter pack, stopped taking it and it took a couple days to get rid of the side effects."

smiley2 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started taking this a little over a week ago. I tapered off of Zoloft , and started with 5.mg of the vibryd, and then up to 10mg a day about ten days ago. I can honestly say that I'm pretty sureI feel out of control , and cry at the same time. I'm filled with utter contempt , and rage at everyone and anyone in my vicinity. I'm not a rage filled person. I want to cry at the same time. I'm just plain angry all the time. My depression has worsened, and the rage and crying is all the time. My doc is not available , so I contacted the pharmacist, and said to continue to take the vibyrd as directed and go to the ER if it continues , or gets worse. Well I'm not waiting. I've taken myself off of it starting today."

Atholsusan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "The first 3 weeks on Viibryd has little to no side effects. Starting on the 4th week, all the side effects came in all at once. Insomnia, swelling, joint pain, diarrhea, dizziness, dark thoughts, nightmares, and mood swings. Saw my doctor and she told me to stop taking it immediately. This medication is definitely not for me."

joeswife July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "After having poor results with several antidepressants, I started Viibryd. I only need 5-10 mg to feel a profound result. I eat really clean and exercise every day, so that may be part of why I need less. My doctor actually became emotional when he said he thought this was the right drug. I was suicidal and getting up in the morning was a monumental task. I couldn't focus on my family and social anxiety was high. I prayed that my body could adjust and it has. When I occasionally up my dose I have severe diarrhea but I just take an OTC to treat it. Insomnia was a problem at first but no longer is. I don't feel totally like myself, a little drugged, and my short term memory is very challenged. But it's worth it. I can function fully now."

Ellie1077 July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was on Viibryd for 2-3 months before I stopped taking it (it's a problem for me, always thinking I don't need them or meds don't work Etc etc). After a few weeks without them, my therapist sat me down and told me she saw an improvement in my overall mood when I was on it and she was right. It's been about 4 months with me consistently taking 40mg and I'm not gonna lie- the lower GI problems and discomfort do happen sometimes. But my (mild) anxiety is better, my sex drive doesn't suck, and for MOST of the the time on MOST days I realize I actually may be ok. It's not a wonder drug, but it helps me do my ADL's, live more independently and even plan for a future existence sometimes. Would recommend to those who've tried the typical meds."

Functional SPANCH queen (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017