User Reviews for Valsartan

Left Ventricular Dysfunction 9.5
Summary of Valsartan reviews 5.7 117 reviews

Reviews for Valsartan

CG June 26, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on valsartan 160 mg for about a year. I kept having left side pains from my heart racing and left arm pains down to tingling in my left hand and fingers for 6 months. I went to 2 doctors who both ran tests and found nothing wrong. One referred me for physical therapy because I also had lower back pains. I went to the ER twice within a week because I thought I was having a heart attack. My lungs were clear and a CT scan showed no abnormalities. Saw a cardiologist as well who ran various tests and it was all normal. It was time for me to renew my prescription recently and there were back logs at 3 different pharmacies so my dr wrote me another BP prescription so I wouldn’t go without any and guess what....I have only been on the new blood pressure meds for 2 weeks now and ALL of the symptoms stopped!!! Valsartan was causing all these symptoms all along and no one figured it out. I also take amlodipine in conjunction and my blood pressure has been stable!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Had high B/P since my 20's now late 30's. Was but on Valsartan back in February low dose was doing fine. Doctor switch me to a higher dose. After 2 days woke up with a racing heart beat and saw stars. Asking to be but on a lower dose or a different drug with no side effects.”

A mess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I never had high B/P until a year ago I take generic Valsartan/ HCTZ- Diovan- 160mg/ 25 mg. I have severe weakness, muscle, and joint pain, knees are bad. Diovan does take care of my B/P, Edema too. I have recently been put on Torsemide 20 mg I was told I was in heart failure, whoa!! I am a mess! Ativan helps, But because of people who abuse, people like those who need this Controlled med. suffer, my Dr. gives me not enough but 1 mg per day, so I suffer. I hope I can take Valsartan I am overweight and too weak too exercise”

RN CNS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “As a health care professional, I urge readers to bear in mind that valsartan is a generic drug produced by several manufacturers. NOT ALL GENERIC DRUGS ARE CREATED EQUAL! A good experience with one manufacturer's drug does not mean you'll have the same experience with a different manufacturer's product. If you have had an unpleasant experience with a generic drug, discuss with your care provider (MD, NP) whether it would be worth it to try a different manufacturer's version of the same drug. If you have been taking a generic drug for a good while and then notice that you're not doing so well, talk to your care provider, but also bring that up with the pharmacy and find out whether they have changed vendors!”

Sally · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “This is drug valsartan left me with some major side effects anxiety, depression, poor sleep nightmares and dizziness.”

Twinkii February 29, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I started taking valsartan 50 mg daily 5 months ago. I was previously on lisinopril 10 mg daily (stopped due to ACE inhibitor cough). Since taking valsartan I have had problems with pain/stiffness in my knees. My hands are swollen and I now have stiffness in my thumb. I went to see an orthopedic (bone specialist) & was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and trigger thumb. I am a 56 yr old nurse (over 30 yrs critical care/ICU experience). I know for a fact that this medication is causing my problems. I have no prior medical history other than being diagnosed with Hypertension ~1 yr ago. I’m planning to see my primary care physician to discuss & request to change medication. Most important, I need to make lifestyle changes.”

BPdrugMadness · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Been on Valsartan 80mg for about a month. Blood pressure still in hypertensive range (145/93 or so) Gave me stiff leg joints at first, especially after exercise- but seems to be improving. Was hoping to improve ED issues I had on Bisoprolol- but Valsartan has made it worse! Also I have a rather high pulse on it- typically in high 80s to 90s, which is concerning me. Bisoprolol gave me pulse in 60s and 70s. Will continue but hope for ED and high pulse side effects to improve soon.”

Kathy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Started Valsartan after needing to be taken off Lisinopril for the coughing side effect. Medication needed increased to twice dose and never touched my BP regardless of healthy life choices. Reached out to cardiologist Crazy Med”

Akman December 9, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on Valsartan for some time and everything felt fine. I started to get a stiffness and a pain in my right foot. At night I would wake up with the pain in the foot so bad I had to get up. I ran out of Valsartan and the Drug Store was waiting for a supply to arrive. I went two days without it and the pain in the foot went away, so it was a side effect of valsartan so I have discontinued using it and my foot pain has gone away.”

J.F.E · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “After reading the reviews of this drug I was horrified when my doctor put me on it. I'm on 160MG once daily. For the first week or so I had some raunchy symptoms (dizziness, general tiredness and stomach cramping) however, it has been almost two weeks and I feel so good now. My BP is getting lower, I'm waking up rested, I have less anxiety, no more migraines (so far) and typical body aches are less. This is an all around fix if you have my blood pressure problems.”

emp9 · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was taking diovan to control my blood pressure as a 42 year old male. It was fantastic , so much so I only needed a quarter of a 80mg pill and it would work, recently I tried generic valsartan and even at a full 80mg pill I barely see a change in my blood pressure. (I have a monitor cuff at home)”

Tamilyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on Valsartan for 3 1/2 months, I was always tired a sharp headache on the left side of my head muscle pain. As of 7/26/2019 I decided not to take this medication the side effects are horrible and I wouldn't recommend this drug to a lab rat. I'm now waiting on my next dr. Appointment to see what other options he has..”

Unsatisfied · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I went on Valsartan hydrochlorthiazide 80/12.5 mg once per day approximately a year and a half ago. On several occasions I mentioned to my PCP and cardiologist that I was having a great deal of problems with my shoulders and stiffness in my hips. I was repeatedly told it was not the drug. I want to emphatically say it was a drug - The valsaran hydrochlorathiazide caused the stiffness and mobility issues After only three days of removing the drug and replacing it with a drug in a different class my mobility completely came back. Not only did I have the stiffness and immobility of my shoulders but I had a great deal of stomach discomfort, and low libido as well as fatigue. It was a shame it took a year and a half of my life to discover . I am a 63-year-old female who is very active and that activity level was reduced considerably during that time period. Drs need to listen to their patients”

Kandi · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on diovan/valsartan for a great number of years it never did control my blood pressure, but took it any how in hopes of one day it might bring my BP down. It never did and to my surprise i woke up one morning with full blown Peripheral Neuropathy,. I am 60 yrs old and never knew PN was one of the side effects of the medicine & there is no cure. I am very disappointed”

Runs in the family · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Losartan and Valsartan both caused my hair to come out in clumps. I googled the problem and several sites said that this is a common side effect with BP meds. apparently, they deplete the coq10, a vitamin. They advise taking 30mg of coq10 a day to prevent the hair loss. I started to do that and it works. I'm still on Valsartan and my hair loss is back to normal..a couple strands a day.”

Sheena · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 10, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Once I started Valsartan I started getting boils off and on. This last one was on the inside of my nose. I googled Valsartan and boils and sure enough. It was the meds. It brought my blood pressure down but now that I know it caused boils (and belly fat), I’m starting by cutting in half. I’ll be off soon as I’m doing vegan meals and bp is coming way down”

Oilpastel · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Valsartin for a long time and not had any side effects but recently my supply has tasted and smelled of cellulose. The tablets are manufactured in Hungary. I've asked the Chemist to give me a supply from a different manufacturer but they say they get what they are given from their supplier. Does anyone have any suggestions.”

cmi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I asked for an Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARB) because I didn't want the Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors as they can cause a cough. I was on a low dose of valsartan (40 mg) to start. Almost immediately, I experienced daily diarrhea. It was bad enough that it was difficult to get out the house in the morning. I also frequently felt nauseous and noticed hair loss and dry mouth. After 2 months of this, I told my doc I was not taking it anymore. The symptoms disappeared within 2 days of discontinuation.”

Virginia · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “My mother has been using this for some time but now she can't get it. The meds that have been substituted to her make her legs ache and have cramps. Why is this pulled off the shelf?”

are · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I am specifically commenting for my brother. He takes valsartan for high blood pressure. I need to tell you all that there is a voluntary recall on Valsartan. Everyone, please call your pharmacy or check on the label and see who is the company/manufacture of your medication. Go online and you will find the list of the company names that are being recalled. The FDA is suggesting you continue taking your medication until you find another medication to replace it. Please contact your doctor who is treating you and talk with him/her.”

Jewls · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2018

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: “I just experienced sudden onset high blood pressure. I'm almost 50. Never had problems before. My normal BP is about 115/70. 2 weeks ago for unknown reasons it spiked up to 210/125. Stayed in that range for full 2 weeks. Dr. Put me on amlodipine for 10 days. It did absolutely nothing. Just changed med to Dioval HCT. After 1 pill BP came down to 125/80. After next pill it's down to 112/69. Crazy how fast it worked. I'm almost afraid to take pill #3 because I'm hoping it won't go too low. Is this normal?”

Zabo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Valsartan works so well getting my numbers down. But I’m now having really bad muscle fatigue in my legs. Especially my thighs . It’s sometimes hard to get up and down without feeling any pain in my thigh area. But I’m slowly getting used to it. Still don’t like it though, but the numbers are low and that’s what I needed in my daily life. High blood pressure will kill you ya know? lol. I’ve been walking hardcore prior to the two months I’ve been on this medication. So I know my legs/thighs aren’t hurting from the daily walking. My goal is to loose more weight (lost 15lbs already) and hopefully get off of these blood pressure meds all together. The good thing is it’s summer soon. So no excuses about the weather. That should be our goal People is to rid ourselves of these meds when we can. Good luck to all who post here.”

Anonymous May 21, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “My mother took Valsartan for years and it controlled her blood pressure. When the pharmacy switched to a generic company her blood pressure went up to 245 over 110.”

Yarra Yarra May 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I consider Valsartin to be dangerous. I know nothing about Diovan. After taking for a few days I suffered a excruciating burning/electric pain across the left side of my head and I was rushed to hospital emergency. $20,000 worth of tests . Conclusion ---unidentified! Not a stroke , not an Anuerism ,undetermined. Effected my balance, could not walk properly for ten days. Stopped taking Valsartin but had a less severe episode a week later with dizziness and inability to walk properly due to poor balance. My history prior was that I rarely had a headache and if I did it was very mild ache an entirely different pain. Neuroligist later thought I MIGHT have had a Migraine induced by the Valsartin. Eight months later and no repeat of headaches. With improved diet and exercise average a BP of 130/80 with 2.5 mg Amlodopine daily, and I am hoping to drop that in the future.”

Robin · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 12, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “My side effects are debilitating burning of feet, swelling of hands, arms felt asleep. Progressive and worsening over 7 months. Spoke with both my primary and cardiologist who were not convinced my symptoms were related to the drug. Referred to Neurologist. Waiting for nerve conduction test despite all of this pain and growing fear. Took myself off Valsartin. Overnight relief. 90% improvement. No foot burning, no icing my feet. Not declaring a victory but looks very likely the drug is the cause.”