User Reviews for Topamax to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia

Topamax has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia. 56% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Topamax Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

pepper73 February 23, 2012

“It took me a year to be diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia - and I had to go to a doctor in Vienna for this, because the doctors in Romania misdiagnosed me - but Topamax is the medicine that really saved my life. Literally! Because I was contemplating suicide, the pain was that bad and nothing else was working for me. I have lost a little weight in the first couple of months and I also have some trouble finding common words while speaking, but otherwise I did not experience any other side effects so far. My cholesterol level is now increasing - I am wondering if anyone is experiencing that as a possible side effect.”

Anonymous April 27, 2008

“I suffered a stroke in '04 and my neurologist prescribed Neurontin to deal with the resulting numbness and tingling on the right side. A year later, and after emergency gall bladder surgery, he put me on a low dose of Topamax instead. It worked well, but I've had to eventually increase the dosage. The side effects were minimal; I needed to lose the 35 lbs I lost (and my wardrobe needed updating :0), and the additional tingling is nothing compared to what I feel when I don't take it. Expensive!”

Andreivna · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2014

“Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax.”

Angie December 10, 2020

“Every body respond to medicine different, on my case Topamax made everything bad for me, the pain of Trigeminal and Occipital Neuralgia got really bad and I was not able to sleep at night and also give me anxiety, I was not hungry, I was like a zombie, I been with this pain since May 2020, my neurologist does not know why I start with this pain, my MRI and CT scan are normal, the next medication I'm going to start is Gabapentin I'm really hoping this medicine will work.”

ivebeenthere November 6, 2010

“This did not help my Trigeminal Neuralgia at all even at high doses. It had helped me in the past for neuropathic pain in my neck, so I was surprised but then, Trigeminal Neuralgia was a surprise. The side effects of high doses of Topamax for me were serious cognitive issues hence, no help - bad side effects. I did find other medicines in combination that work - Nortriptiline, Trileptol and Gabapentin.”

Head Honcho · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2015

“I only took Topamax for a short time, but the side effects were so bad I had to stop. Primarily, it made me feel goofy. I was in a cloud and had trouble remembering how to get places I went to frequently. I lost the ability to taste bubbles in beverages, and beer or soda without carbonation just wasn't the same. In short, the nickname "dopamax" seemed well earned to me.”

Elisabelle December 7, 2016

“Works well with combine with medical Marijuana. I take them at night 2 in the morning. It let's me be able to sleeps at night. I wasn't able to lay down after a fail MVD operations. Since I started the Brand name topomax it help me a great deal.”