User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 7)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 388 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

quennnnbee · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2015

"I am 29 I started getting cystic acne when I was 21 right out of the blue! I had tried everthing you can think of every home remedy EVERYTHING! Literally! Finally my derm prescribed spirolactone 50 mg a day. After two months my skin was perfect and I went from ugly cystic pimples too nothing. After a year I stopped taking it biggest mistake of my life. 8 months later my cystic acne Is full blown ...I'm back on spirolactone 100 mg a day and my face is a mess I have to start all over I highly recommend that once you start this medication do not stop!!!! I'll give another update in a month but right now I hate my face and can not deal with it I do not know what to do"

Eyeloveeyes December 29, 2015

"I was started on 50 mg per day, one month ago. My skin is definitely less oily, but I've had a cystic flare for the last couple of weeks. Haven't really seen improvement in acne cysts yet- still need cortisone injections. Using with sulfur mask 3x week, and tazorac on other days. Will update next month!"

Elizabeth032492 December 10, 2015

"I decided on Mirena as my birth control of choice and I thought I'd found my match after some bad side effect with Yaz. I loved having an IUD and for the most part I did not have any side effects... besides the ACNE. Insane breakouts that were debilitating. I thought this was behind me being 23, and as a sales woman it was embarrassing. I'd tried everything under the sun in my teens to no avail. My derm put me on spironolactone Sept 2015 and my skin experienced a miracle. My face is glowing, I still have some breakouts around my period, but besides that I am impressed. I've also lost weight (125lb to 116lb) which is amazing and I can even see hair growth on my thin spots. This drug is a miracle and I will preach it from the rooftops!!!!"

emilykkkkkkkkk December 7, 2015

"I had moderate to severe acne starting around the age of 15/16, right around when I got my first period. By age 20 my skin still wasn't clear, even on Yaz. That medication did wonders for my endometriosis and cramps, but my skin didn't get better. I talked to my doctor about spiro and we agreed that it was a good plan. 100mg/day for the first month, then down to 50mg/day. The idea was to "shock my system" for a big clearing. That first month was TERRIBLE. I broke out like never before with massive cystic, painful zits. My self esteem was worse than ever. BUT, I stuck with it. Today I'm on my 6th month of spiro and I LOVE it. I sometimes get a zit here or there, but nothing like before-- mostly just blackheads. My skin is even and clear!"

Anonymous December 6, 2015

"I am 28 years old and overnight it seems like acne just took over my life for the pass three months all I do is cry...went a derm and he prescribe me spiro 50mg and 50mg of antibiotics Just started on Dec 2 so I will update progress but no improvement so far"

Megan Jacobs December 6, 2015

"I've struggled with moderate acne since the age of 11 or 12, and I'm now 26. I've tried benzoyl peroxide solutions, salicylic acid, tretinoin cream, doxycycline oral antibiotic on numerous occasions, clindamycin cream, and the list goes on and on. Nothing ever worked, and I learned to live with acne - I learned how to cover it to the best of my abilities and to try to act like it didn't bother me. But honestly at any given point I had at least 8-10 pimples. By the time I turned 24, I had started with horrific large pimples on my chin and cheeks, and I pleaded with my dermatologist to start me on something different because I had just had enough. Spironolactone was the best thing to ever happen to my skin!!! I started at 50mg daily, then after 2 weeks it was increased to 100mg daily. I noticed within 4-6 weeks that my skin was clearing up and I no longer was getting new breakouts. I've been on it now for 10 months, and honestly I don't think I've even had one pimple in the past 2 or 3 months. This stuff is simply amazing. If you struggle with acne, I would recommend at least trying this. I never thought I would ever have clear skin, and I now have completely clear smooth skin. It's incredible. The only side effect I've had is fatigue, so I do take it at night before bedtime, and I wake up very well-rested. In addition, I pee a lot more often as is to be expected from a diuretic, so I drink tons of water to make up for it. Also as a side note, I've lost about 10 pounds since starting it which is also a plus :)."

legomymego24 December 2, 2015

"I do not usually leave reviews but this stuff is seriously life changing. I never really had terrible acne in high school. I broke out right before my period in college but nothing too severe. I'm 24 now and in the Spring of this past year 2015, I started breaking out uncontrollably on my cheeks, which I had never even had acne with before. I also would get big ones on my head, temples, and still broke out with big pimples on my chin every month. I tried all of the natural things like tree oil and I tried changing my diet, taking anti biotics, every cream, lotion, face wash that you can get off the shelf and nothing worked. If you are desperate, this drug works. I have been on this medication since August 2015 and my face is 100% healed."

Shane'sgirl728 November 23, 2015

"I am 22 years old and I have had clear skin my entire life. I was on the depo shot for a year and had my son then got back on the shot for two more years and decided with the irregular periods and weight gain, that I wanted to switch. I now have a paragard. For those of you who don't know, it's a 10 year IUD. I get regular periods and its hormone free. It amazing. But to get to my acne. I started getting acne about a year ago. It was mild at first but within a month it got so bad. My doctor didn't think it was hormonal, but after a year and 4 times on different antibiotics he decided to refer me to a dermatologist. They put me on 100 mg a day with adapalene gel. Its been three weeks and I'd say my acne is 50% gone. I'm so happy"

Kayleeann November 11, 2015

"I've been breaking out since I was 13 years old. I did a round of accutane (which had horrible side effects) and it only worked temporarily. I've always had cystic acne, chest, back, It destroyed my confidence. I tried every product on the market and finally decided that I would grow out of it. I never grew out of it. I'm 28 years old now, and I decided that enough was enough. I went to my dermatologist who tested my hormone levels and decided that spironolactone could benefit me. I cleared up dramatically within the first month of taking it, and only experience the skin purge for a couple of weeks. Only side effect was twitching. It was determined spiro was depleting my vitamins, and with supplements I'm back to normal and my skin is CLEAR"

happy25 October 14, 2015

"Spironolactone is amazing! I have never written a review in my life but I had to for this medication for acne because it really does work. I have been battling with acne for 10 years now. It just got worse in my 20's, I am 25 years old now. I couldn't understand why the older I was getting the worse it was becoming. I have been to dermatologist several times, antibiotics didn't work. I tried natural cures, didn't work. Through research I bumped into this medication and figured out is has to be hormonal. I ended up going to an Endocrinologist because the dermatologist did not want to prescribe it to me. It has been 9 months on 100mg and my face is 85% better. I am excited about what a year and two years difference it will make. try it !"

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 1, 2015

"Spironolactone changed my life. I was 32 and had been battling cystic acne since 19, been through 3 dermatologists and every acne product on the market and had completely given up. I was at my annual gyno appointment when, out of the blue, she looked at me and asked me how I felt about my face. I immediately started to cry and told her how helpless and ugly I felt. Knowing that I was not interested in having kids, she put me on Spironolactone. It took a few months but once it kicked in, it was like someone had given me new skin. I am now 37, still taking 100mg of Spiro per day and my face has never looked better. It's soft and smooth and the redness is gone. It gave me my self esteem back. I only wish I could have found out about it sooner!"

Prayfully this will work for!! September 25, 2015

"So I've been on spiro for a week now. The side effect for me is I'm always thirsty and have dry lips. I am seriously drinking 2 liters of water daily. To early to see any results. I will share my result as time progress."

Spirononomoreacne September 14, 2015

"I started Spironolactone for Acne in April and started out taking 50mg a day and I will say for the first three months I thought it wasn't working (I was still getting a lot of cystic acne breakouts around my chin and mouth). But I figured I would give it some more time because my body may still be adjusting to the other medications I'm also using with it (derm also put me on orthotricyclen birth control to help with acne as well as Differin cream twice a week) I stuck it out and noticed a drastic change in the fourth month and I'm now on month 5 and have had no breakouts for a month straight! I also lost about 8 pounds since I started on the medicine! Which was a great bonus. I recommend sticking it out!! It takes time but it really works!"

TheresaBiv September 12, 2015

"Like many of the women posting here, I have used almost every prescription and non-prescription acne treatment over the last 15 years. I was prescribed spironolactone, 50mg a day at the end of April 2015. The first 3 months were horrendous. My cheeks and sometimes forehead broke out so bad and the pimples lasted for weeks or months and left red scars. I was so depressed, I came on these sites for answers. I found hope when others stated that it took awhile to start working. I was noticing a decrease in amount of oil my skin produced. I can honestly say that as of today, 9/12/15, my skin is amazing. I have a few light red scars but other than that my skin feels amazing, no pimples, very little oil. I hope it stays this way!"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2015

"I was 18 going on 19 when literally over two nights I broke out with horrible hormonal cystic painful acne covering my face. It was a nightmare. The doctors finally recommended spironolactone and I started on 50mg. Things started to get better but still bad. They then moved me up to 100mg. My face just about completely cleared up in about two and a half months with a few small breakouts during my cycle. It cleared my face but I experienced two side effects. One was extreme fatigue to the point where all I could think about was laying down and was exhausted every hour of the day. Even when I got a lot of sleep.Ssecond was I would get super dizzy when I stood up. I am extremely active, & work two jobs, and am a college student I can't stay on it"

Suzan Storm · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 8, 2015

"At the age of 45, my body decided it was time for perimenopause to enter our lives. The issues with it were a challenge alone. Then it was,determined I needed a complete hysterectomy due to a chance of ovarian cancer. So poof - all is,removed and things get worse! Hair falling out, gaining weight for no apparent reason, still hot hot and did i mention hot!?!? So I'm referred to an Endocrinologist who prescribes thr spirolactone. Honestly - my skin is much,better! I'm always looking to loose a little weight ,- but it seem nothing bad hhas happened. My face is greatly improved - but my back is still a work in progress. Overall - i fell its worth giving the Ole college try!"

Happyalexa August 26, 2015

"I am 20 years old and have had acne since I was 14. It has progressively gotten better over the years but is definitely still present. Dermatologist have tried everything, except accutane which I was to worried about because of the various negative side effects. I was given spiro 100mg about 6 months ago and don't remember any terrible side effects. After 4 months I felt like giving up as I didn't notice a drastic improvement but my dermatologist told me to be patient. My skin is not 100% clear now after 6 months of being on 3 of the 50mg tabs. But it is so much better, I didn't actually realize it because I just go about my life now. I never get big swollen pimples now but will get little ones every now and then. Give it a try but remember BE PATIENT"

Sylve · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 6, 2015

"I have hormonal acne and spironolactone with birth control have helped clear my face of all cystic acne."

ShayGrimm July 15, 2015

"I have been taking Spiro for about a month now and so far so good. I am noticing a bit of a break out right now but nothing crazy like my normal acne. The only side affects I am noticing is the muscle weakness and light headedness... I dropped a cookie sheet of calzones, using both hands. I literally couldn't pick it up. The muscle weakness comes and goes though so I can deal! Same with the lightheadedness. :) I am so happy! I have gone from having really bad cystic acne, to little tiny red bumps. I can deal with this, I am starting to feel beautiful again! I am only on 50mg at the moment, so we'll see how the next few months go."

calcium11 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2015

"Months 3-5 were very difficult for me. I had been very optimistic after reading reviews and I wanted a quick fix after trying everything else. Sometimes my acne seemed even worse than before I started treatment. Thankfully, I didn't give up and it seemed like one day, over night, my face stopped producing acne!! I guess that it just took 6 months for my hormones to adjust to treatment & balance out. But my skin has never looked better in my whole life and I am so grateful and thankful for this medication and that I stuck with it! I don't wake up any more expecting to see a new cyst on my face, I can just live my life not worrying about my skin anymore! Took 6 months but it's the only thing that has worked &my skin is CLEAR for the 1st time!"

afrosty · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2015

"I began having acne at age 20. Went to a ton of doctors was put on doxy for 6 months, lots of topicals, and accutane, and none of it worked. Five years later it turns out my testosterone levels were way too high and I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Gyno put me on 200mg a day. First month I was very nauseous and dizzy. I wanted to sleep all the time. It's been two months and the side effects are gone, but I'm still breaking out. Hopefully it works after a couple more months. I suggest any adult acne sufferer try this out before you spend years trying things that are not effective. My acne scars are awful and I need dermabrasion now."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2015

"Throughout my life I've had acne and tried many different treatments. Some of them worked and some of them didn't. Spironolactone is one that definitely works. I was prescribed this medication in conjunction with doxycycline, clindamycin lotion and tretoin cream. My skin has cleared up so much, and I am so pleased. I have been taking all the medication for about 3 months and the spironolactone for the past 2 months. 50 mg every night. My dermatologist recently uped my dosage to 100mg every night because my skin still isn't 100%. This drug works great! I would definetly recommend taking this medication for acne. I'm so happy that my skin is clearing up and I do not have to be so self conscious over it. now to get rid of these darn scars !!!"

50 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2015

"At age 50 spiro has been only thing to help persistent skin problems of a lifetime! Initially, brought on 2 week periods, but this ended by third month."

eadickson June 11, 2015

"I'm a 28 year old woman who switched from oral birth control to the Mirena IUD. That is the only change I can associate with a horrible bought of hormonal acne that started about 6 months after I made the switch. I had embarrassing, painful acne along my jawline down onto my neck. My skin was greasier than normal and products that would typically keep my breakouts at bay didn't touch the cysts on my jawline and neck. I've been taking 100mg of Sprio for about 6 weeks now and I've already seen great improvement. My skin isn't 100% yet but it's obviously improving and I assume it will get even better with time. I haven't experienced any side effects, no weight gain, dizziness, or breakout period."

Hooray! June 10, 2015

"Absolute life changer. I'm in my late 30's and have been on antibiotics for most of my life to treat moderate to severe acne. Besides Accutane, I found the most success with Bactrim, but recently became unable to tolerate it. It took four months for me to see results from Spironolactone, but what a relief to now not have my life revolve around trying unsuccessfully to manage breakouts and cysts anymore! I did experience lightheadedness in the beginning and still on occasion. Cut from 100mg to 50mg in the beginning to help the dizziness, and now back to 100mg. Very thankful I found this med."

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)