User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 12)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 389 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

"I've been on this for about 1 month and I've seen amazing results. I've tried everything under the sun, and not having health insurance it can make it tough to get something that works and that is cheap. For the past 4 years I've had insane acne, like I was just going through puberty! Happy that I've found something that works! I'm just annoyed I have to take pills everyday because of my face."

Anonymous October 4, 2011

"I started taking this after having missed four periods. I started taking this on Tuesday and by Thursday I started my period. The horrible cystic acne I was suffering from disappeared and the unwanted hair growth stopped and reversed course. The joint pain I see people commenting on may not be from this pill. Have your physician test your DHEA and prolactin levels through blood work as deficiencies in these areas can cause severe joint pain, fatigue, memory loss, decreased libido and hair loss."

Anonymous July 8, 2011

"I was prescribed spironolactone from my dermatologist as I was getting acne along with, black hairs on my chin and water retention. (75mg) - I noticed a difference after about a month - 2 months in and my skin hasn't looked this good in about 5 years. My acne was on my forehead, chest and back. I have added in a Benzoyl Peroxide body wash, twice a day as well. I was also advised to up my Vitamin A for about 3 months as it can be toxic - all these together have worked wonders. I have had NO side effects at all. Watch your potassium and salt in take and don't take ibuprofen either. I printed out a list of potassium high foods and you will be surprised how many there are. That's the reason why I haven't given this a 10. Good luck!"

The Smiths May 31, 2011

"I was given this medication by a dermatologist assistant, and started with the low dose of 50mg. I was a bit "dried out", had to urinate more and was drinking more water. I didn't see much difference in my acne until she increased the dosage to 100mg but then I saw a major improvement. The draw back is that I am 44 years old, and my periods were getting heavier, a longer duration, and started every other week. I had some depression spells where I would cry over something very minor. I feel this medication is great for the acne sufferer who has had the same stubborn big deep blemishes for a long time, but for a hormonal person such as myself pushing menopause, it isn't ideal unfortunately. "

OC Gal May 18, 2011

"I think this medicine is amazing. I have always struggled with acne and have tried everything to get rid of it. I refused to take Accutane due to it's side effects and drying of the skin. Also I knew my acne was a hormonal issue so I didn't want something that was just going to dry out my skin and come right back, plus very dry skin will make you age quicker. With my acne I would get acne scars that would last for two to three years. My acne is cured 100%, I'm now using 20% vitamin C serum, SPF 70, Hydroquinone 4%, Antioxidant serum, and hyloranic acid serum, and a emollient moisturizer to help the hyperpigmentation from my acne scars. I can use all of this on my face without breaking out now. Whoo HOO!"

Juliemay4747 February 2, 2011

"Let me start off by saying this drug is the #1 medicine in my opinion for treatment of severe cystic acne! I'm currently 51 and when I was 13 experienced acne, but worsened into cystic acne at age 16 through to age 30. (NOTE: I took all dermatologist prescribed creams and antibiotics.) AFTER my two children were born, I took several rounds of treatment with Accutane. Accutane finally rid me of my problem at the end of the treatments but a year or so later Acne returned but not as severe and when I was in my mid to late 30's I told my thyroid doctor of my battle and treatments with Acne. My thyroid doctor "shocked" me when he said that he could stop my Acne within 2 to 3 weeks with a maintenance drug named "Aldactone." Acne GONE."

Unbelievable Drug FINALLY! January 10, 2011

"I've been on this medicine off and on for almost a year now. After I am on it for a few weeks, my joints start to hurt really bad. I think it is because of the diuretic nature of the drug. It doesn't stop the black heads. It also makes me get up in the night to pee. My Dermatologist says he has never heard of the joint pain being a problem and refused to believe its the spironolactone causing it. But after starting and stopping the medicine three times, I am sure it's the cause."

bluewatersgirl August 23, 2010

Aldactone (spironolactone): "I am almost 46 and for 30 years have tried everything for chronic hormonal acne (antibiotics, Accutane, all the skin care lines, Retin A). This medication has been a miracle for me. I still get little blackheads / small pimples around my menses, but are barely noticeable. I continue on with my Retin A treatment which helps that. I haven't noticed any side effects. I do watch my potassium intake (no bananas)."

Anonymous March 12, 2010

"This drug seems to be working well for me. I am 28 and over the past year I have been suffering from pretty bad cystic acne. I have tried every kind of over-the-counter treatment, Differin, Clindagel, and antibiotics, all without any long-term success. Since beginning this pill, my acne has reduced signifcantly and has become less inflamed and cystic. As far as side effects go, I have definitely become dehydrated, but drinking more water is worth the improvement I have seen."

Anonymous February 22, 2010

"The medicine is great for my acne. But, the headaches are really bad! In addition to the pain, my concentration is off and I end up with multiple periods. I am really looking for help on how to combat the headaches so I can actually take the drug for an extended period!"

KelleyM November 18, 2009

Aldactone (spironolactone): "Being almost 30 and having cystic acne I began taking this as a last result. I tried all skin care lines....found myself using Clarins and my skin improved but still I was oily and breaking out on my neck and cheeks. After a couple of weeks I noticed I wasn't waking up with what seemed like a thick layer of oil on my face. I began to break out less and less. My Dermatologist upped my dose and now my painful cystic acne is gone and my skin feels great. Although I find myself very parched at times and you must watch your salt and alcohol intake. I like this medication."

Anonymous October 1, 2009

"I had been on so many different types of pills and creams, from over the counter to prescription before my dermatologist recommended spironolactone. I have only been on it for about 3 months, but am already seeing results in my skin's appearance. I definitely recommend this to anyone still looking for something that can cure their acne. I have been suffering for about 15 years and just now I am starting to feel comfortable in my own skin. I can't wait to see it's full effects!"

Anonymous August 27, 2009

"Spironolactone has been a miracle drug for me. I've suffered from acne since the age of 11. I've tried every pill and cream that my parents could afford. Nothing has ever fully worked because my acne is hormone related. If it did help, my face would be red, peel, and break out again once I discontinued the product. A friend introduced me to spironolactone and my life has never been the same. It took a good 4 months for me to see even a slight difference. But 1.5 years later my face is clear and has been ever since. I would highly recommend spironolactone. Just be patient for the first 3-4 months, but you will see results."

Anonymous May 10, 2009

"I was prescribed this from my dermatologist for my acne. I have been using it for the past 2 months and even though my acne is getting better I don't think they're all gone yet. The positive of this drug is I haven't seen any side effects. Make sure you drink a lot of water though. I'll come back and give it a better rating once my acne is totally gone."

OT April 17, 2009

"It worked over a period of 24 hours"

njnetschick28 October 30, 2008

"I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries a couple years ago, having missed a couple periods and showing increased testosterone levels in my bloodwork. My dermatologist was actually the one to prescribe spironolactone - for my acne. While I haven't noticed a huge difference in terms of my skin problems, my periods have finally gotten more regular (31- to 33-day cycle, approximately) when taking 45 mg/day. I've noticed no side effects while taking spironolactone."

SophiaRivers July 2, 2008

"I always used used to get pimples before. Now I seriously never even get one pimple. This really works."

Anonymous June 19, 2008

"I was suffering from acne and this has cured it."

Anonymous March 10, 2008