User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 11)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 391 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

"I am 20 years old currently, but when I was 16 I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have always struggled with weight, but nothing major. I go up and down, I am 5'7 and I am always between 135-160. I was put on Yasmin and took it for 3 years, and then I went off it for 2 months. While I was off the Yasmin, I had no acne. After 2 months, I went back on because my prescription was refilled, and my skin was TERRIBLE. It also scarred. I went to my gyn after 3 months of vigorously trying to get rid of the acne, and she kept me on my Yasmin while adding Metformin and Spironolactone. This combination worked wonders after 3 days! Lost weight, NO new acne, and my cystic pimples have DISAPPEARED."

acnegirl January 15, 2013

"I was diagnosed with borderline polycystic ovarian syndrome when I was younger having bad side effects on my body including severe acne when I was 16 I went on a course of Accutane and it worked amazingly. I had small breakouts now and then but nothing that compared to what it used to be. I now am 24 and was prescribed spironolactone because symptoms of PCOS were arising and endocrinologist and dermatologist suggested going on this medication to reduce hair growth and so far I'm disappointed. I know that it takes a couple of months for a medicine to fully take effect but my acne has become so severe, along my chin area and I pray that this is just initial and it will go away. "

Sad and scared (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2013

"I've just gotten on this medicine about 2 weeks ago. First off, it DOES take a while for ANY medication to get in your system. But first week, I hadn't had one single zit emerge on my face. By week two, I had a few small bumps appear, but nothing like the huge painful giant puss-filled ones that usually do. I have yet to have a cyst ::knock on wood::, I'll take those little zits over the nasty ones any day! I hear you have to wait a few months to see full results. I can't wait."

Anonymous December 16, 2012

Aldactone (spironolactone): "Great! Works wonders for oily skin and hormonal acne. A bonus is that it helped make me 10lbs lighter. "

NeesaKj (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2012

"I'm currently in my 6th week of this medication and couldn't be more pleased. For the first time since puberty I have skin that isn't excessively oily. This in itself is a miracle and my skin & scalp look fresh. I'm 28 and have experienced severe cystic acne for over 12 years and no combination of OTC &/or prescribed treatments have ever worked for me. I can't believe I wasn't prescribed this sooner. I'm still in shock that something is actually working to clear my skin. If you have hormonal acne please try this - you won't be sorry."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2012

"I have been seeing my dermatologist for 3 years and I have tried every common antibiotic and topical cream to no avail. I have been on spironolactone (in conjunction with Benzaclin gel, Cetaphil wash twice a day and tetracycline, which I have been on for a year and a half) for the past month and it has been a God-send. I recently turned 20 and my acne had never been worse. It changed from pustules to cystic nodules that would take weeks to fight back and hours spent crying in front of the mirror. I would refuse to leave the house and my boyfriend and mother became increasingly concerned. Since beginning this medicine my skin has cleared and I couldn't be happier! I would definitely recommend this medicine."

happy:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2012

"Only used it for 2 weeks and people are already like..WOW...its crazy how much better your skin looks. I know I wont see the full effects for another few months, but I have noticed that my face is not nearly as oily. It's more normal now, before by the end of the day I used to be able to use 5 of those clean and clear oil absorbing sheets! My redness is gone down a lot too, my acne was crazy. No all over cystic but it looked like a rash, but wasn't rosacea. And now its getting better! Yay! I am excited."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2012

"I've only been on it for 2 weeks but I have already noticed a HUGE reduction of oil on my face, and my it completely cleared my back. I'm only 19 years old but I have hormonal acne and I'm starting to see a difference on my face, not a big difference but I've only been on the pill for 2 weeks, so far so good. Can't wait to see the end result."

Anonymous March 27, 2012

Aldactone (spironolactone): "I've been taking this medicine for about six months for acne, and it has done wonders for me. I saw full results after about 4 months. Other than frequently having to go to the bathroom (it's a diuretic), I've experienced no side effects. My skin is flawless, and all the insecurities I had about my skin--being anxious around the time of my period in anticipation of a breakout, not wanting to leave the house without makeup--are GONE. I've been on Accutane four or five times, and while my skin always did really well for the few months I was on it, sometime afterward I'd begin to get regular breakouts. Aldactone gives me predictably clear skin, I can take it indefinitely, AND it's cheap. If you have hormonal acne, please give this a shot!"

Anonymous February 21, 2012

"I have very cystic hormonal acne. I tried everything. I was prescribed spirolactone along with Acanya and these two have been the best combination ever. I noticed improvements within the first 2 weeks. I love it! I would rate it 9/10. I have also tried Atralin, works well too with Acanya."

Anonymous February 18, 2012

"I have had acne since I was 13 (now 42) and though I have had clear periods within this time frame (after Accutane) it always ended up creeping back. I am a master at covering a pimple but was SO tired of a new pimple on the horizon! The dermatologist said "Accutane would not be my choice for you" and prescribed 100 mgs of Spironolactone. I am in my 9th week of medicine and WOW what a difference. My skin is clear, feels smooth, pores have shrunk and no more grease! Well worth the patience. Wish I had been prescribed this years ago!"

Happy in Maine December 29, 2011

"Spironolactone worked wonders on my cystic acne. Unfortunately it caused a non-stop period and I had to come off it."

Anonymous November 29, 2011

"I started out on a 25mg dosage and am now at a 75mg dosage. At first, spironolactone made the acne on my face, back, and chest much worse; but I stuck with it (because I was ready to do about anything to get rid of my acne), and my skin is almost completely clear now. Yes, it did take about 4 months to work, but it's totally worth it. For the first time in my life, I have no blackheads! I've been dealing with cystic acne since I was 16 and finally, at age 25, I've found something that controls it. The only side effect I noticed was that I got my period the day after starting spironolactone, but it's been normal since then. Highly recommended, but you have to stick with it through the tough times at the start."

Anonymous November 18, 2011

"I did notice clearing of my hormonal acne (jawline, neck, and chest) within 3 1/2 weeks, but I developed stomach cramping, diarrhea, sleeplessness, and occasional dizziness. This medicine wasn't the answer for me."

Anonymous November 17, 2011

"I've been on this for about 1 month and I've seen amazing results. I've tried everything under the sun, and not having health insurance it can make it tough to get something that works and that is cheap. For the past 4 years I've had insane acne, like I was just going through puberty! Happy that I've found something that works! I'm just annoyed I have to take pills everyday because of my face."

Anonymous October 4, 2011

"I started taking this after having missed four periods. I started taking this on Tuesday and by Thursday I started my period. The horrible cystic acne I was suffering from disappeared and the unwanted hair growth stopped and reversed course. The joint pain I see people commenting on may not be from this pill. Have your physician test your DHEA and prolactin levels through blood work as deficiencies in these areas can cause severe joint pain, fatigue, memory loss, decreased libido and hair loss."

Anonymous July 8, 2011

"I was prescribed spironolactone from my dermatologist as I was getting acne along with, black hairs on my chin and water retention. (75mg) - I noticed a difference after about a month - 2 months in and my skin hasn't looked this good in about 5 years. My acne was on my forehead, chest and back. I have added in a Benzoyl Peroxide body wash, twice a day as well. I was also advised to up my Vitamin A for about 3 months as it can be toxic - all these together have worked wonders. I have had NO side effects at all. Watch your potassium and salt in take and don't take ibuprofen either. I printed out a list of potassium high foods and you will be surprised how many there are. That's the reason why I haven't given this a 10. Good luck!"

The Smiths May 31, 2011

"I was given this medication by a dermatologist assistant, and started with the low dose of 50mg. I was a bit "dried out", had to urinate more and was drinking more water. I didn't see much difference in my acne until she increased the dosage to 100mg but then I saw a major improvement. The draw back is that I am 44 years old, and my periods were getting heavier, a longer duration, and started every other week. I had some depression spells where I would cry over something very minor. I feel this medication is great for the acne sufferer who has had the same stubborn big deep blemishes for a long time, but for a hormonal person such as myself pushing menopause, it isn't ideal unfortunately. "

OC Gal May 18, 2011

"I think this medicine is amazing. I have always struggled with acne and have tried everything to get rid of it. I refused to take Accutane due to it's side effects and drying of the skin. Also I knew my acne was a hormonal issue so I didn't want something that was just going to dry out my skin and come right back, plus very dry skin will make you age quicker. With my acne I would get acne scars that would last for two to three years. My acne is cured 100%, I'm now using 20% vitamin C serum, SPF 70, Hydroquinone 4%, Antioxidant serum, and hyloranic acid serum, and a emollient moisturizer to help the hyperpigmentation from my acne scars. I can use all of this on my face without breaking out now. Whoo HOO!"

Juliemay4747 February 2, 2011

"Let me start off by saying this drug is the #1 medicine in my opinion for treatment of severe cystic acne! I'm currently 51 and when I was 13 experienced acne, but worsened into cystic acne at age 16 through to age 30. (NOTE: I took all dermatologist prescribed creams and antibiotics.) AFTER my two children were born, I took several rounds of treatment with Accutane. Accutane finally rid me of my problem at the end of the treatments but a year or so later Acne returned but not as severe and when I was in my mid to late 30's I told my thyroid doctor of my battle and treatments with Acne. My thyroid doctor "shocked" me when he said that he could stop my Acne within 2 to 3 weeks with a maintenance drug named "Aldactone." Acne GONE."

Unbelievable Drug FINALLY! January 10, 2011

"I've been on this medicine off and on for almost a year now. After I am on it for a few weeks, my joints start to hurt really bad. I think it is because of the diuretic nature of the drug. It doesn't stop the black heads. It also makes me get up in the night to pee. My Dermatologist says he has never heard of the joint pain being a problem and refused to believe its the spironolactone causing it. But after starting and stopping the medicine three times, I am sure it's the cause."

bluewatersgirl August 23, 2010

Aldactone (spironolactone): "I am almost 46 and for 30 years have tried everything for chronic hormonal acne (antibiotics, Accutane, all the skin care lines, Retin A). This medication has been a miracle for me. I still get little blackheads / small pimples around my menses, but are barely noticeable. I continue on with my Retin A treatment which helps that. I haven't noticed any side effects. I do watch my potassium intake (no bananas)."

Anonymous March 12, 2010

"This drug seems to be working well for me. I am 28 and over the past year I have been suffering from pretty bad cystic acne. I have tried every kind of over-the-counter treatment, Differin, Clindagel, and antibiotics, all without any long-term success. Since beginning this pill, my acne has reduced signifcantly and has become less inflamed and cystic. As far as side effects go, I have definitely become dehydrated, but drinking more water is worth the improvement I have seen."

Anonymous February 22, 2010

"The medicine is great for my acne. But, the headaches are really bad! In addition to the pain, my concentration is off and I end up with multiple periods. I am really looking for help on how to combat the headaches so I can actually take the drug for an extended period!"

KelleyM November 18, 2009

Aldactone (spironolactone): "Being almost 30 and having cystic acne I began taking this as a last result. I tried all skin care lines....found myself using Clarins and my skin improved but still I was oily and breaking out on my neck and cheeks. After a couple of weeks I noticed I wasn't waking up with what seemed like a thick layer of oil on my face. I began to break out less and less. My Dermatologist upped my dose and now my painful cystic acne is gone and my skin feels great. Although I find myself very parched at times and you must watch your salt and alcohol intake. I like this medication."

Anonymous October 1, 2009