User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 11)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 388 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

AnonymousNYC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 31, 2013

"When I was a teenager I had *mild* cystic acne---mild meaning I would only get one or two cysts a month, but the ones I did get were huge, red, painful, ugly, and often left a scar. Years later, approaching the age of 30 and having exhausted every treatment under the sun, it was not getting any better. My dermatologist suggested Spironolactone (100mg/day)... My skin got worse for the first few weeks, almost like my body was expelling everything... but I stuck with it and it's been a MIRACLE!! My skin is smooth and acne-free. The only side effect is I'm groggy for a few hours so I take it at night. Don't give up on it if things get worse initially, it is a hormonal treatment and might take a while for your body to adjust. I LOVE it!!"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2013

"I started taking this medication about four months ago combined with minocycline for my hormonal cystic acne. The first month I saw no improvement in my skin and abnormally lost 5 pounds. Now three months later my skin is finally completely clear but I'm facing a new problem: the medicine has caused me to gain 10 pounds in my thighs, butt, tummy, and breasts and has given me a yeast infection that has been on and off (mainly on) for the last four months."

AnonymGermany October 1, 2013

"I am a physician and tried really everything on my acne, which last now for 24 years. It started during puberty and has been hormonal since then. I have been once put on anti-androgen medication, which was quiet bad considering me being a very young women. But since than nothing helped. Spironolactone was well known to me as diuretic, but not as acne medication (off-label use). But I gave it a try, was quiet concerned about the potassium retention, but what do I have to say: Acne almost gone, no water retention before my menstrual bleeding (gained always about 2-3 kg) and something I would not have thought: no further cramps in my legs, which sometimes woke me up at night. I am very happy about taking Spironolactone."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2013

"I have been using spirolactone for the past week and I am having crazy side effects such as dizziness, headaches, peeing too much and tummy upset. Wondering whether to still go on using it but I at least don't have any pimples popping up."

Researching for answer · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2013

"I have a 16 year old daughter that just started struggling with acne over the last year. She is an elite athlete and I have watched her confidence diminish greatly. We have tried homeopathic treatments, over the counter, prescription topicals and antibiotics with no results only her acne getting worse. We decided to give birth control pills a shot. She has been on them 2 months no change yet. We just added spironolactone into the mix and in 8 days I have seen her skin change. Her acne is already better. Now it's not clear but can see the change happening. A study of birth control pills and spironolactone for hormonal acne 85% of women have a clearing of acne. Think she started to clear fast because she was already on Birth control pills for 2 months. "

Anonymous August 21, 2013

"I'm 30 years old. I started having really bad skin about 2 years ago from maybe stress in my life. But, I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it and it just got worse. I finally went to a dermatologist and she put me on spironolactone. My skin started getting better in about two weeks. I LOVED it. I've been taking it for about 6 months and I get compliments from Makeup artist and models (I'm a hairstylist) about how good my skin is. Another plus for me is my breasts went from a small B to a C! I decided to stop taking it for a week and my breasts went small again and my skin is getting a little oily. So I'm going back on. I only take one a day."

Sweeeeet August 9, 2013

"Does somebody experiences itching? I feel awful after taking Spironolactone once a day. My period came after 2 weeks, my breast is sore and I cannot sleep."

listentosts9 August 8, 2013

"On my 8th day of using spironolactone 50 mg twice a day and every day my skin looks better. After numerous visits to the dermatologist, prescribing me different antibiotics and topicals I went to my real doctor and she told me it's got to be hormonal. I haven't had any cystic acne since I started this and I would at least get one or two a week. The doc also put me on Clindamycin Phosphate which I think is helping clear me up. ONLY 8 days in too! Hope I'm not speaking too soon. "

Anonymous1262 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2013

"GIVE THIS MEDICATION TIME TO WORK. I have been suffering with acne since I was 12 years old, and I am 39 now. I started spironolactone 8 weeks ago. I would say that the bumpiness in my skin improved within the first week. But the breakout during the 2nd week and the residual mess during week 3 had me wearing turtlenecks. But after that, I saw nothing but improvement. Less and less acne, skin smoothing out, less oiliness. Now I am about 95% clear and I only expect it to get even better!"

Lanawinters July 26, 2013

"I started taking spironolactone 3 weeks ago (50 mg 2/day, so 100 mg dose) and my acne is the worst it has EVER been. I get cystic acne on my chin but the rest of my face is usually okay. As of last week I broke out in SO many cystic pimples on my chin, along my jawline, on my cheeks, even some by my nose. My acne hasn't been this bad in a while. From everything I've read about this medicine, it seems I am in the initial breakout period that only some people experience. This is very difficult to deal with but I am going to wait it out for at least 6 months. Also, my period is always irregular, sometimes I don't get it for 9 months. But since taking this medicine I have already had my period twice. "

Anonymous7657 July 6, 2013

"I have had acne since I was 11 years old. It is mild and only on my face, but it has always been very, very stubborn. I went on rounds of minocycline with very little relief. When I went on birth control, the acne cleared about 70% and all that was left were stubborn breakouts on my chin and around my jawline. I didn't want to start college with poor skin, so I went to a new dermatologist who told me the acne was hormonal and started me on Spironolactone (50 mg/day) and Differin (a topical). I experienced the initial break out. I developed new pimples for about two days but then called my Dr. and got Doxycycline (200mg/day). All in all, it lasted about a week. 3 wks in, my skin is BEAUTIFUL. It glows and is so soft. Ask your doctor!"

Mrs. Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2013

Aldactone (spironolactone): "I began this Aldactone 50mg. 2 weeks ago. 8 days later I had a Cyst rupture on my Ovary. (I had a partial Hysterectomy 6mths ago). Not certain if the medicines were a part that will have to wait to be seen. I immediately felt the oil dry and the cyst go away. One of the best is I feel like the redness is gone as well. I love that since 7th grade till my 38th year, years of Accutane a million times, odd antibiotics, birth control, topicals and I FINALLY FEEL FREE of my ugly red skin."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2013

"On my fourth week of taking 50 mg of Spironolactone. Was put on this medication for cystic acne. Improvements I've noticed are definitely less oil and blackheads have cleared up, however I am still battling cystic acne around my chin/mouth and occasional pimples on my forehead. I am thirsty quite a lot and subsequently pee a lot too, but have not noticed any weight gain! Skin on my cheeks have been very dry. Fighting both cystic acne and cracked skin is a hassle. I'm hoping by next month I will see improvements in my cystic acne and not continue to worsen."

cecilenice · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2013

"I have gained about 6 or 7 pounds (i.e. half a stone or 3 kilos) in total. My reflection in the mirror is fine but my clothes have become too tight, I feel very uncomfortable in them and in fact, I feel uncomfortable in my own skin. Somehow, I just feel inflated. The weight gain is really around the waist, the bottom and the thighs (and the bust, the one area I am not complaining about). I did a quick search on the internet and quick enough I found a number of forums discussing weight gain with spiro (in the exact same areas). Weight is a sensitive issue for me because I did struggle a bit with it in my teens/early twenties."

Frustrated 43 old · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2013

"I never had acne issues when I was a teenager, but I'm 43 now and I'm having hormonal acne on my chin and behind my ears along the hairline. I was prescribed Spironolactone because I was taking Minocycline and my doc wanted me to get me off it because of the side effects. Well now my acne has gotten worse after taking Spironolactone for 2 months. I've read a lot reviews were people have stated its taken about 4 months before they saw any improvement. I'm hoping that will happen for me! Just curious if anyone my age is going through the same thing as I am? The bright side is my insurance covers this medication, so I haven't had to pay a penny for it since I started using it."

Sam0321 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2013

"If you have acne that is likely hormone related (if it's not then this medicine won't help you) and you are taking spironolactone but are getting impatient, DON'T GIVE UP!! I have been taking spironolactone 50 mg/day for about 4 months and finally started seeing results a few weeks ago. It really can help you, just be patient! My life is changed because of this medicine. No more painful, incessant cysts on my chin, no more piling on makeup trying to hide my acne, no more shutting myself in my house because I don't want to see anyone. I did have a BAD initial breakout, but now that I am seeing results, it was so worth it."

Anon 2 April 11, 2013

"I started getting severe cystic acne after I turned 22 and have battled it for years. I tried absolutely everything, the problem was definitely hormonal, so it makes sense to target hormones, no oil or bacteria. I take 50mg 2x a day and LOVE spironolactone. The first few days were a little weird but the side effects go away after 2-3 days. Just stay hydrated, the medicine is really very mild. My hormonal cystic acne improved almost immediately but then did have a milk breakout at 2 months. Now 3 months in and it is truly wonderful!! Keep with it! It works wonders on hormonal acne. I now have no cystic acne or acne otherwise. If your acne is hormonal this is the treatment! I also love not having to feel bloated all the time (no water weight)."

boomtaiwan · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2013

"I am not having luck with this. I took 50 mg for one month and now 100 mg for 2 months and my acne is worsening and is so painful. My chin has been taking over my an army of pussy intruders and my eyebrows have became a landing spot of meteors. I am taking this along with Seasonique birth control. I have had my period 5 weeks straight and my hormones are crazy! I'm really hoping if I keep taking it things will get better but I'm starting to lose hope."

PCG February 13, 2013

"I've been having painful nodular cystic acne for the past 1 year. I've had polycystic ovarian syndrome for some time, but for some reason, the acne became a problem this year. So far, I have been on the spironolactone for 1 month, and I broke out AGAIN after my period as expected, but it's much less. Smaller nodules, barely noticeable, and not painful. I'm at a 50 mg/day dose now. Hopefully the acne should improve if I'm patient, but so far the acne is definitely less severe. Side effects: some weight loss, which is probably all the urine I'm peeing out as this is a diuretic; some dryness of the skin, nothing a moisturizer can't help with. "

lauriedasz January 18, 2013

"I started taking this years ago, my dermatologist prescribed it, I had went off the pill and started getting acne on my chest and back. It worked wonderful! Also it took away the oily shine I had on my face! But the best part of all was my cramps stopped right before my periods, and the periods got lighter and then they stopped completely! I think its been almost a year now since I have had one its weird though, because if I miss a day taking the pill, I will start cramping. I wonder if I quit, will my period start back? oh, and it did nothing for me on the losing of weight.. wish it did though!"

acnegirl January 15, 2013

"I am 20 years old currently, but when I was 16 I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have always struggled with weight, but nothing major. I go up and down, I am 5'7 and I am always between 135-160. I was put on Yasmin and took it for 3 years, and then I went off it for 2 months. While I was off the Yasmin, I had no acne. After 2 months, I went back on because my prescription was refilled, and my skin was TERRIBLE. It also scarred. I went to my gyn after 3 months of vigorously trying to get rid of the acne, and she kept me on my Yasmin while adding Metformin and Spironolactone. This combination worked wonders after 3 days! Lost weight, NO new acne, and my cystic pimples have DISAPPEARED."

Sad and scared · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2013

"I was diagnosed with borderline polycystic ovarian syndrome when I was younger having bad side effects on my body including severe acne when I was 16 I went on a course of Accutane and it worked amazingly. I had small breakouts now and then but nothing that compared to what it used to be. I now am 24 and was prescribed spironolactone because symptoms of PCOS were arising and endocrinologist and dermatologist suggested going on this medication to reduce hair growth and so far I'm disappointed. I know that it takes a couple of months for a medicine to fully take effect but my acne has become so severe, along my chin area and I pray that this is just initial and it will go away. "

Anonymous December 16, 2012

"I've just gotten on this medicine about 2 weeks ago. First off, it DOES take a while for ANY medication to get in your system. But first week, I hadn't had one single zit emerge on my face. By week two, I had a few small bumps appear, but nothing like the huge painful giant puss-filled ones that usually do. I have yet to have a cyst ::knock on wood::, I'll take those little zits over the nasty ones any day! I hear you have to wait a few months to see full results. I can't wait."

NeesaKj · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 11, 2012

Aldactone (spironolactone): "Great! Works wonders for oily skin and hormonal acne. A bonus is that it helped make me 10lbs lighter. "

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2012

"I'm currently in my 6th week of this medication and couldn't be more pleased. For the first time since puberty I have skin that isn't excessively oily. This in itself is a miracle and my skin & scalp look fresh. I'm 28 and have experienced severe cystic acne for over 12 years and no combination of OTC &/or prescribed treatments have ever worked for me. I can't believe I wasn't prescribed this sooner. I'm still in shock that something is actually working to clear my skin. If you have hormonal acne please try this - you won't be sorry."

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)