User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 10)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 391 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

"I have been on this three month and one week. Boy am I frustrated. I am on 100mgs a day. I thought things were getting better yet here I am with cysts pimples and red marks. I'm also on Solodyn for almost 2 months and using Tazorac and I picked up benzoyl peroxide spot treatment. I just want to feel normal and pretty and not have huge painful ones just pop up on my neck and jaw line. Even when they go away I'm left with red marks. I've begged my Dermatologist to raise my spironolactone but he won't. I'm so confused on what to do. And I just thought I'd have better skin by now. Without make up all I want to do is hide and cry. And the pain from the big ones. I am 26 with a four year old and should be enjoying life and instead I feel depressed and defeated."

Kirstie 26 years old December 8, 2013

"Update from 8/26/13 My 16 yr old has been on spironolactone for under 3 months. Bye- bye concealer and make up. Skin is now clear on face and having to wear make up is now an option verses a must. THANK GOD self esteem is back. She went off pill she had side effects. So far side effects from spironolactone are small. She is more tired than usual. Also has 2 periods a month. Dr said it should stabilize in next few months. Her skin is truly clear. Not just sort of but clear. Let it work and be patient. Can take 4 to 6 months to work."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2013

"My doctor prescribed spironolactone (50 mg per day). It seemed to work rather quickly and I was thrilled. However, I have gained 11 lbs. in one month, my hair seems to be thinning, always tired, double cycle in one month! So I have stopped as of 3 weeks ago, now my face is breaking out again, but I have lost 9 lbs and seem to have more energy. I am so frustrated! I am 45 and should not have to deal with this cystic acne."

Jewelgirl222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2013

"I had never had a problem with acne until about one year ago, after giving birth to my daughter. I started to break out and it gradually got worse. I felt like I couldn't leave the house without makeup and I wanted to stay home whenever I had a bad breakout. It was starting to take over my life. I had tried some topical treatments prescribed by a dermatologist, but I was limited in what I could take as I was still breastfeeding. After weaning my daughter about 6 weeks ago, I started taking spironolactone. My skin is looking better and better and my confidence is starting to return. I did not have an initial breakout at all, which I had been worried about after reading other reviews. It has been great."

123Nic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2013

"BEAUTIFUL skin, but I experienced a 10 lb. weight gain that would not come off with diet and exercise! Ugh! Especially in the stomach and thigh area. I stopped taking it 7 days ago..."

Jan% November 7, 2013

"Love this stuff. Miraculous. I am 50 yeas old and have suffered with cystic acne since age 36. Nothing helped, and it left my once nice skin discoloredand scarred. I saw "the best" dermatologists in Dallas, Los Angles and New York, spent a fortune and nothing helped. Finally, I met a dermatologist from a small town completely by chance and he urged me to try spironolactone. Within one month my skin was clear and still is. One caveat: when I first started taking, I was dizzy and nauseated, so I stopped taking it. The doctor told me to try again with half the dosage, and it worked like a charm."

thatdoghunts (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2013

"When I was a teenager I had *mild* cystic acne---mild meaning I would only get one or two cysts a month, but the ones I did get were huge, red, painful, ugly, and often left a scar. Years later, approaching the age of 30 and having exhausted every treatment under the sun, it was not getting any better. My dermatologist suggested Spironolactone (100mg/day)... My skin got worse for the first few weeks, almost like my body was expelling everything... but I stuck with it and it's been a MIRACLE!! My skin is smooth and acne-free. The only side effect is I'm groggy for a few hours so I take it at night. Don't give up on it if things get worse initially, it is a hormonal treatment and might take a while for your body to adjust. I LOVE it!!"

AnonymousNYC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 31, 2013

"I started taking this medication about four months ago combined with minocycline for my hormonal cystic acne. The first month I saw no improvement in my skin and abnormally lost 5 pounds. Now three months later my skin is finally completely clear but I'm facing a new problem: the medicine has caused me to gain 10 pounds in my thighs, butt, tummy, and breasts and has given me a yeast infection that has been on and off (mainly on) for the last four months."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2013

"I am a physician and tried really everything on my acne, which last now for 24 years. It started during puberty and has been hormonal since then. I have been once put on anti-androgen medication, which was quiet bad considering me being a very young women. But since than nothing helped. Spironolactone was well known to me as diuretic, but not as acne medication (off-label use). But I gave it a try, was quiet concerned about the potassium retention, but what do I have to say: Acne almost gone, no water retention before my menstrual bleeding (gained always about 2-3 kg) and something I would not have thought: no further cramps in my legs, which sometimes woke me up at night. I am very happy about taking Spironolactone."

AnonymGermany October 1, 2013

"I have been using spirolactone for the past week and I am having crazy side effects such as dizziness, headaches, peeing too much and tummy upset. Wondering whether to still go on using it but I at least don't have any pimples popping up."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2013

"I have a 16 year old daughter that just started struggling with acne over the last year. She is an elite athlete and I have watched her confidence diminish greatly. We have tried homeopathic treatments, over the counter, prescription topicals and antibiotics with no results only her acne getting worse. We decided to give birth control pills a shot. She has been on them 2 months no change yet. We just added spironolactone into the mix and in 8 days I have seen her skin change. Her acne is already better. Now it's not clear but can see the change happening. A study of birth control pills and spironolactone for hormonal acne 85% of women have a clearing of acne. Think she started to clear fast because she was already on Birth control pills for 2 months. "

Researching for answer (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2013

"I'm 30 years old. I started having really bad skin about 2 years ago from maybe stress in my life. But, I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it and it just got worse. I finally went to a dermatologist and she put me on spironolactone. My skin started getting better in about two weeks. I LOVED it. I've been taking it for about 6 months and I get compliments from Makeup artist and models (I'm a hairstylist) about how good my skin is. Another plus for me is my breasts went from a small B to a C! I decided to stop taking it for a week and my breasts went small again and my skin is getting a little oily. So I'm going back on. I only take one a day."

Anonymous August 21, 2013

"Does somebody experiences itching? I feel awful after taking Spironolactone once a day. My period came after 2 weeks, my breast is sore and I cannot sleep."

Sweeeeet August 9, 2013

"On my 8th day of using spironolactone 50 mg twice a day and every day my skin looks better. After numerous visits to the dermatologist, prescribing me different antibiotics and topicals I went to my real doctor and she told me it's got to be hormonal. I haven't had any cystic acne since I started this and I would at least get one or two a week. The doc also put me on Clindamycin Phosphate which I think is helping clear me up. ONLY 8 days in too! Hope I'm not speaking too soon. "

listentosts9 August 8, 2013

"GIVE THIS MEDICATION TIME TO WORK. I have been suffering with acne since I was 12 years old, and I am 39 now. I started spironolactone 8 weeks ago. I would say that the bumpiness in my skin improved within the first week. But the breakout during the 2nd week and the residual mess during week 3 had me wearing turtlenecks. But after that, I saw nothing but improvement. Less and less acne, skin smoothing out, less oiliness. Now I am about 95% clear and I only expect it to get even better!"

Anonymous1262 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2013

"I started taking spironolactone 3 weeks ago (50 mg 2/day, so 100 mg dose) and my acne is the worst it has EVER been. I get cystic acne on my chin but the rest of my face is usually okay. As of last week I broke out in SO many cystic pimples on my chin, along my jawline, on my cheeks, even some by my nose. My acne hasn't been this bad in a while. From everything I've read about this medicine, it seems I am in the initial breakout period that only some people experience. This is very difficult to deal with but I am going to wait it out for at least 6 months. Also, my period is always irregular, sometimes I don't get it for 9 months. But since taking this medicine I have already had my period twice. "

Lanawinters July 26, 2013

"I have had acne since I was 11 years old. It is mild and only on my face, but it has always been very, very stubborn. I went on rounds of minocycline with very little relief. When I went on birth control, the acne cleared about 70% and all that was left were stubborn breakouts on my chin and around my jawline. I didn't want to start college with poor skin, so I went to a new dermatologist who told me the acne was hormonal and started me on Spironolactone (50 mg/day) and Differin (a topical). I experienced the initial break out. I developed new pimples for about two days but then called my Dr. and got Doxycycline (200mg/day). All in all, it lasted about a week. 3 wks in, my skin is BEAUTIFUL. It glows and is so soft. Ask your doctor!"

Anonymous7657 July 6, 2013

Aldactone (spironolactone): "I began this Aldactone 50mg. 2 weeks ago. 8 days later I had a Cyst rupture on my Ovary. (I had a partial Hysterectomy 6mths ago). Not certain if the medicines were a part that will have to wait to be seen. I immediately felt the oil dry and the cyst go away. One of the best is I feel like the redness is gone as well. I love that since 7th grade till my 38th year, years of Accutane a million times, odd antibiotics, birth control, topicals and I FINALLY FEEL FREE of my ugly red skin."

Mrs. Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2013

"On my fourth week of taking 50 mg of Spironolactone. Was put on this medication for cystic acne. Improvements I've noticed are definitely less oil and blackheads have cleared up, however I am still battling cystic acne around my chin/mouth and occasional pimples on my forehead. I am thirsty quite a lot and subsequently pee a lot too, but have not noticed any weight gain! Skin on my cheeks have been very dry. Fighting both cystic acne and cracked skin is a hassle. I'm hoping by next month I will see improvements in my cystic acne and not continue to worsen."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2013

"I have gained about 6 or 7 pounds (i.e. half a stone or 3 kilos) in total. My reflection in the mirror is fine but my clothes have become too tight, I feel very uncomfortable in them and in fact, I feel uncomfortable in my own skin. Somehow, I just feel inflated. The weight gain is really around the waist, the bottom and the thighs (and the bust, the one area I am not complaining about). I did a quick search on the internet and quick enough I found a number of forums discussing weight gain with spiro (in the exact same areas). Weight is a sensitive issue for me because I did struggle a bit with it in my teens/early twenties."

cecilenice (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2013

"I never had acne issues when I was a teenager, but I'm 43 now and I'm having hormonal acne on my chin and behind my ears along the hairline. I was prescribed Spironolactone because I was taking Minocycline and my doc wanted me to get me off it because of the side effects. Well now my acne has gotten worse after taking Spironolactone for 2 months. I've read a lot reviews were people have stated its taken about 4 months before they saw any improvement. I'm hoping that will happen for me! Just curious if anyone my age is going through the same thing as I am? The bright side is my insurance covers this medication, so I haven't had to pay a penny for it since I started using it."

Frustrated 43 old (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2013

"If you have acne that is likely hormone related (if it's not then this medicine won't help you) and you are taking spironolactone but are getting impatient, DON'T GIVE UP!! I have been taking spironolactone 50 mg/day for about 4 months and finally started seeing results a few weeks ago. It really can help you, just be patient! My life is changed because of this medicine. No more painful, incessant cysts on my chin, no more piling on makeup trying to hide my acne, no more shutting myself in my house because I don't want to see anyone. I did have a BAD initial breakout, but now that I am seeing results, it was so worth it."

Sam0321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2013

"I started getting severe cystic acne after I turned 22 and have battled it for years. I tried absolutely everything, the problem was definitely hormonal, so it makes sense to target hormones, no oil or bacteria. I take 50mg 2x a day and LOVE spironolactone. The first few days were a little weird but the side effects go away after 2-3 days. Just stay hydrated, the medicine is really very mild. My hormonal cystic acne improved almost immediately but then did have a milk breakout at 2 months. Now 3 months in and it is truly wonderful!! Keep with it! It works wonders on hormonal acne. I now have no cystic acne or acne otherwise. If your acne is hormonal this is the treatment! I also love not having to feel bloated all the time (no water weight)."

Anon 2 April 11, 2013

"I am not having luck with this. I took 50 mg for one month and now 100 mg for 2 months and my acne is worsening and is so painful. My chin has been taking over my an army of pussy intruders and my eyebrows have became a landing spot of meteors. I am taking this along with Seasonique birth control. I have had my period 5 weeks straight and my hormones are crazy! I'm really hoping if I keep taking it things will get better but I'm starting to lose hope."

boomtaiwan (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2013

"I've been having painful nodular cystic acne for the past 1 year. I've had polycystic ovarian syndrome for some time, but for some reason, the acne became a problem this year. So far, I have been on the spironolactone for 1 month, and I broke out AGAIN after my period as expected, but it's much less. Smaller nodules, barely noticeable, and not painful. I'm at a 50 mg/day dose now. Hopefully the acne should improve if I'm patient, but so far the acne is definitely less severe. Side effects: some weight loss, which is probably all the urine I'm peeing out as this is a diuretic; some dryness of the skin, nothing a moisturizer can't help with. "

PCG February 13, 2013