User Reviews for Selenium sulfide topical

Also known as: Dandrex, Exsel, Glo-Sel Selsun Blue Medicated Selsun Blue Normal to Oily SelRx Tersi Foam

Selenium sulfide topical has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 37 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed Selenium sulfide topical reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Tinea Versicolor   7.6
Seborrheic Dermatitis   6.5
Summary of Selenium sulfide topical reviews 7.5 37 reviews

Reviews for Selenium sulfide topical

Lal · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2020

For Tinea Versicolor: “I used Selsun Yellow and followed the directions washing it off after 10 minutes. It was fine for a while but I must have not been thorough enough because now I have chemical burns under my breasts, very painful. I don't have these in any other area I applied it. Be careful with this one.”

ALOS October 9, 2020

For Tinea Versicolor: “A dermatologist said to use Selsun Blue 1% - coat my body with it at bedtime, let it dry, put on old pj’s, leave it on overnight and shower it off in the morning - do this once a week for 3 weeks. This worked in incredibly well, right from the first treatment. I did have a bit of chemical burning in my armpit area - in creases like that just blot a little of the wetness off before it dries - no problems after that. Part of the reason I went to see the dermatologist was to get help with overall bumpiness of the skin all over my body. It’s like every hair follicle was inflamed and had a little bump in the follicle. Although she recommended other treatments it was the Selsun treatments that completely cleared this up from the very first night. I’m from Canada so no cost for 3 dermatologist appointments (plus a follow up in 2 wks) and the Selsun was purchased at Wal Mart for less than $15 (maybe $12/$13).”

JAG1010 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2020

For Seborrheic Dermatitis: “So after 15 years of unsuccesful fights against this serborrheic dermatitis, I found a way, the 5 min shampoo does not work, I use a surfers hat or swimming hat with selsun rubbed in for 2 hours with vaseline, then washed out, now all good, but need this every 3 days and no flakes AT ALL, But it must be SD or Malassezia you tackling cause I was never totally sure it was SD or psorisis, Yes 2 hours all gone for days! Well Thats my remedy and it did the trick”

Tash January 26, 2020

For Tinea Versicolor: “The dermatologist gave me a RX for selenium sulfide 2.5 wash for tinea versicolor on my face. I have used this everyday for almost 3 weeks now. I read all these reviews and people say they are leaving it on for twenty and thirty mins. My dermatologist told me to wash my face with this for 5-10 seconds and then rinse. I don't think I could stand to leave it on for several mins thinking it would burn my face. I noticed these spots around 5 years ago. I love to lay in the tanning bed and I think that's what caused it. I hope this wash is the answer and heals up all these spots on my face cause it's very embarrassing. I have noticed that spots are fading and skin seems to be looking better. I will update at a later time to leave review on how long it takes for me personally to have clear skin.”

Cas · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2019

Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide) for Tinea Versicolor: “Selsun blue had been suggested to me by my doctor for Times Versicolor and as soon as I started using it I woke up the next day with my "spots" doubled pretty much, now I'm so itchy that I can't sleep sometimes.”

yoyo · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

For Tinea Versicolor: “Selsun blue really works well! In my experience, I had partial relief from night time itchiness after first use (approx. 40% itch reduction) and going to full relief after 4 days of 1x daily use in shower (3-5 min of coating affected areas with shampoo suds). Don't be suckered into the high price treatments on Amazon!”

hambam · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

For Seborrheic Dermatitis: “I was prescribed this selenium sulfide lotion to treat an itchy scalp. I used it exactly as directed and within one wash, I noticed an extreme amount of hair shedding. It looked like about one week's worth of hair loss all at once. It has been 3 days, and I am still experiencing hair loss. I knew hair loss could be a side effect, but I had no idea it could happen this quickly or be this bad. Also, the texture of my hair has changed after using this shampoo / lotion and it smells awful. The smell sticks to everything.”

lymphnode-sweatglands habitat August 20, 2019

For Tinea Versicolor: “Use the selenium sulfide as shampoo-body wash one time treatment. Most important shake that bottle and shake it hard - at least 3 to 5 minutes, as the active ingredient is heavy and sinks to the bottom. Applying to whole body but do not rinse off; instead, allow to dry on the skin for 24 hours, after 24 hours rinse. Fungus die in all the lymph nodes - sweat glands at one time, and the tinea versicolor cannot survive this treatment; however, it could be chronic, after twelve or more months or another summer season, reappearing due to susceptibility, environment, lifestyle, etc. Beware that nurse practitioners, physician assistants, general practitioner medical doctors, and most dermatoligists do not know details of this condition and effective treatment. Key is to obtain the prescription for selenium solution--no other medication will truly work--apply as described here, to the whole body not be rinsed off until after twenty-four hours.”

Somewhat cured · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

For Tinea Versicolor: “So I had used selsum blue for years while having tinea versicolor like most. Apply for 10-20 min and rinse, doing it daily for a week. Got tired of it and saw little results so I stopped and recently it resurfaced worse than ever. So instead for 3 days... left it on over night then rinsed but one day I applied a lot and obtained chemical burns while leaving it overnight without showering the next day. Hurt like hell but after proper moisturizing through the burns for 3 days, COMPLETELY KILLED OFF THE CONDITION. I feel like a new man. I’d do it again simply because it took one painful night and 5 years of having it. PS shake the bottle really well as the active ingredient sinks to the bottom of the bottle.”

I tried Selsun Blue June 22, 2019

For Tinea Versicolor: “I had a similar experience as ouchouchouch. Whenever my tinea versicolor would start up, I would dab the blue version of Selsun Blue on the area for a day or two before showering, sometimes with a second application. This time I had let it go way too long and had it all over. I wiped it over all the areas, and left it on for a couple days. I developed chemical burns in some places where I used more of it and had to use neosporin over these open sores. After a couple days, the skin in these areas got rough, and turned thicker and darker. After showering, most of the skin looked pretty good. Days later the darker areas began peeling off in small chunks, and a week later, when it had all come off, I was left with soft, smooth, clear, "new" skin. Now that I have done it, I would do it again if I had to. Painful? Yes. Worth it? Also Yes!”

i’m stupid April 23, 2019

Selsun (selenium sulfide) for Tinea Versicolor: “I’ve had tinea versicolour for over a year, on my lower back and hips, ive never been worried about it but after it not going away for 6 months i figured it was time to see my GP (free). he informs me of my condition but just tells me to buy some antifungal cream. Then I go to the dermatologist ($200) for my acne and thought I might as well ask her about my tinea versicolour since I'm paying SO much. She tells me to buy Selsun yellow and what antifungal creams to buy. I’ve been using Selsun & Clonea cream for a month now (every second day) and have seen no difference, except now I think it’s even spread as it’s now up to my ribs and down to my thighs. So I keep on using the Selsun and while I’m applying generous amounts, I suddenly notice yellow spots in my always CLEAR Selsun shampoo. So I thought, maybe I’ll shake it, and now the shampoo is YELLOW! It like a gold color! and I thought, ARE YOU KIDDING? I’ve spent a WHOLE month applying it wrong. The bottle doesn’t even say to shake the bottle. My message is SHAKE THE BOTTLE REALLY WELL the active ingredient is heavy and sinks to the bottom of the bottle!!!!”

A dude · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2019

Selsun (selenium sulfide) for Tinea Versicolor: “Have had tinea versicolor for about 8 months. Never itched but the spots were spreading so I decided to find a solution for aesthetics sake. In Canada Walmart has Selsun extra strength lotion (2.5%) on the shelf for $13. If you need a prescription for this stuff in your country I would probably check Amazon first (unless your insurance ends up covering it, that would be dope). It says to leave on for 10 minutes and then rinse off; I've been leaving it on for more like 30 minutes and then showering. This is my third night using it and I can already see the spots beginning to fade away. Very impressive. No burning sensation or dry skin from it either. Also this extra strength lotion smells clean. No awful smells like others have mentioned with other products. I have read that if a person were to continue their treatment for a full year it is very likely they will never see tinea versicolor return. Best luck.”

Sassy · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2019

Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide) for Tinea Versicolor: “I bought over the counter & added 7 drops of Tea Tree Oil which is an antifungal. I have had this condition for 40 yrs. I have been to Drs. but I try different methods. This is the first with Selsun Shampoo. I showered & then used the shampoo & left it on for 10 min. The itch is already better. It is hard to rate it because it is the first time I used it with the Tea Tree Oil.”

ouchouchouch · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2019

For Tinea Versicolor: “I’ve been struggling with tinea versicolor for more than a year and a recent trip to the Bahamas made my skin 10 times worse from sun exposure. It covers my entire back and looks like a page out of a medical magazine. My doctor recommended Selsun blue 1% left overnight and washed in the morning. I’d read so many success stories I was so excited. After the second day, I woke up in excruciating pain with bad chemical burns all over my back and neck. If you have sensitive skin, please please take caution and only keep on your skin for a short amount of time to see how your body reacts. These chemical burns will take long to heal and are extremely painful.”

shaken007 · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2018

For Tinea Versicolor: “I was recommended by my derm to use Selsun Blue as a replacement body wash on the affected areas. I found that leaving it on for about an hour and then washing it off garnered better results. The one thing she did warn me about was NOT leaving it on OVERNIGHT. Apparently, by doing so you run the risk of getting chemical burns, which are a lot more painful and difficult to heal than Tinea Versicolor. Instead, she said that applying a topical antifungal cream (like Lamisil) could help if one wanted to speed up the process even more. After a few days, it was gone.”

FunFunSun · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2018

Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide) for Seborrheic Dermatitis: “Allergist suggested I use for 2 weeks, then go to once or twice a week. Well, the condition returns and returns and the horrid smell has gotten into everything. The sickening smell is in my jetted tub, towels, shirts, and my neck sweat smells like it.”

Pita October 10, 2018

For Tinea Versicolor: “I have had tinea since I was in high school like 5 years ago. And I have read people’s experience with selsun. I tried to put selsun with 1.8% on my tinea and sleep on it. I did this for 3 days. My skin looks so red, itchy, patchier and looks bad :( i hope it will heal :( I have read recently that you should leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off I'll see how this goes next time”

Aimreh · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2018

Selsun Blue 2-in-1 (selenium sulfide): “I developed tinea versicolor as a teenager, I'm now in my early 60s. I've always used topical creams and refused pills. I began using Selsun Blue 2.5% in my 30s. I apply the medication very generously, twice daily for five days then daily for 2 days and leave it on for 20-30 minutes. I air dry my skin (except under breasts) after a shower with water as cold as tolerable and the spots disappear sometimes to up to a year.”

Villa · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2018

For Tinea Versicolor: “I’ve had Tinea Versicolor since highschool. Up until recently nothing I’ve tried has helped. Someone recommended I use Selson 1% and it was the best advice I’ve ever gotten. Within 2 days the intense itching had gone away and the spots have already begun to fade drastically at 3 weeks. I have an upcoming vacation to the beach and I’m actually excited to wear a two piece!”

it's me · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2018

Selsun (selenium sulfide) for Tinea Versicolor: “Efficient if u do washing with mercryl solution before using. Then you keep selsun on skin 20 minutes before rinsing. I used it that way for three weeks every two days ,then two weeks every three days , then two weeks every four days ,then one week every five days, one week every six days ,and once a week for three weeks . It's not very comfortable to keep it 20 minuts on skin and it does smell, but this is really the only medicine with good result and quite cheap, with mercryl about 10 euro/month”

Angie · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2018

For Tinea Versicolor: “I've had tinea versicolor for years and have taken Diflucan, antifungal creams, etc. I started using selsun blue moisturizing (smells pleasant), and after the 3rd day, I'm amazed, rash ALL gone. I will continue using when needed. Wonderful!”

Little wolf · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2018

Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide) for Tinea Versicolor: “The smell is so horrible I can't stand it days after using it and several showers later you can still smell it when you sweat”

Brewzky February 26, 2018

For Tinea Versicolor: “Works like a charm. It's a bit messy though. Leave it on 30 minutes then take a shower and repeat in 3 days”

Chocolate Rain August 12, 2017

Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide) for Tinea Versicolor: “I had been recommended that I leave it on while I sleep I ended up with chemical burns all over my chest”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2017

For Tinea Versicolor: “Wash with selsun blue. I left it on for 10-60 minutes then pat the spots with apple cider vinegar. After drying, aloe vera. Great results in 5 days”