User Reviews for Quetiapine (Page 7)

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Major Depressive Disorder
5.9

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 7.3 1,209 reviews

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Insomnia: "I was initially prescribed Quetiapine for bipolar / insomnia in addition to the Depakote I was already taking. I was to start at 50 MG and gradually build up to 200 MG, but the first night taking it at 50 MG completely knocked me out for the night and the following day. The effects felt a little less strong the following day, but I didn't feel I could go up to 100 MG, so I called my doctors office and they suggested I go down to 25 MG. Which has worked wonderfully for sleep and I've been doing that for the last month. I sleep through the night now, but only feel groggy in the AM the following day and not the entire day. Sleeping 7-8 hours a night after sleeping 5 hours or less for so long is a huge improvement."

FinallyGotToSleep (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

For Insomnia: "All you need is 25mg and only taken 1/2 before bed is all you need."

SQ guy (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

For Insomnia: "After having been tried on every sleep med for insomnia (benzodiazepines, non-benzodiazepines, Belsomra and a few antidepressants), I asked my Dr if I could try Seroquel (quetiapine) having taken it about 15 years ago. I've had insomnia for years and years. About 20 years ago I was put on Seroquel 50 mg and it helped a lot. It worked again for me, however I was on 400mg for at least 6 months. I hadn't had more than 2-3 hours of sleep for years and immediately slept through the night. I am currently taking 200mg and hope to decrease that amount as I've gained 40 pounds over the past two years and exercising and dieting have not helped. Lose weight but go back to insomnia, sleep well but remain overweight. I love/hate Seroquel!"

MissieRae August 28, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "If you have a mixed diagnostic, bipolar I or II, with traces of schizophrenia, seroquel acts as a good 'sidekick' to medications such as risperdal and zyprexa and abilify."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 28, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on this medication for 8+ years. Different psychiatrists tried many various antidepressant meds but nothing worked. I finally found an excellent psychiatrist who specializes on psychotropic meds. He diagnosed me as Bi-polar II~ He prescribed Celexa, a small dose of Xanax.5 and Seroquel. The addition of the Seroquel was what literally saved my life. About 2 years after my husband died I was without insurance. I didn't have my meds and was suicidal. At the last moment I checked myself into the mental unit. I'd be dead if I hadn't done that. I finally got insurance and am on my meds again. I feel better than I have in years. If your doctor prescribes this give it a few weeks. I know I need meds the rest of my life. Good luck~"

Nondell (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was prescribed 800 seroquel for my therapeutic dosage. Many years later, I decided with my pdoc to try 600. I felt more balanced, more centered and attuned - with the same effectiveness of the med. Later, while in a combination of other meds, I took the courage to play around with 300/400 mgs. of XR, and, to my surprise, I still got a precise dosage - no racing thoughts, sound sleep, no anxiety, much attenuated paranoia, and an awesome anti-depressant effect with half of the original 800."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I take 300 mg daily, 200mg of that being at night, and it actually keeps me awake and gives me restless legs. Side note I also take 150mg Zoloft in the am. Both for BPD and bipolar. Maybe my moods are.a bit more stable but compulsions seem the same."

Kimmie79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking this drug for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I've tried various drugs and lifestyle treatments over 5 years of great instability and desperation, going between breakdown after breakdown. Finding the right dose and preparation (slow release) has not only lifted me from crisis, but improved my wellbeing to an all time level. (It took a little while to adjust.) In particular it guarantees me a good night sleep and I can up the dose slightly if things slip. It has done wonders for my anxiety and given me the stability to really be what I want to be. I feel it is important to note that the drug is one part of the picture, and mindfulness, exercise, social/professional support etc. are important where possible"

Musician8907 August 17, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have been taking Seroquel XR 800mg for almost 11 years. Before this I was taking low dose regular Seroquel for many years. It really helps me manage my schizoaffective disorder. I am also taking a doctors prescribed antihistamine hydroxyzine 50mg because I get hives while on seroquel XR. I have noticed male breast growth and hard glandular breast tissue build up under my breast during this year. I am also experincing breast pain. I am on a calorie restricted diet and have been exercising and lifting weights regularly for the past 10 years and have gained 5lbs to 10lbs in weight. I have low body fat and can do 70 push ups in a row easily so its not body fat."

Johnson Zen August 16, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "It helps stabilize my moods and has helped with my insomnia. However, I have started to have experiences of sleep paralysis that are quite terrifying."

Snk88602 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Seroquel was prescribed for sleep disorder and it works just fine without any hangover the next morning"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2017

For Insomnia: "I've had difficult sleeping for the last 7 years, I take my dose at bed time. I'm relaxed and I fall asleep relaxed. I'm bipolar but only use it for sleep."

Lisamidnight (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered severe Clinical depression for 8 months. A combination of Quetiapine and Venlafaxine succeeded where Antidepressants alone failed. I found Quetiapine useful for Anxiety."

Ian Beach (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

For Insomnia: "It takes 3 hours to kick in which it is a 50/50 chance it won't, I might fall asleep for 2 hours. But I always wake up and will never be able to fall asleep again. On 25mg tablets so unless you get really high ones, don't even bother."

Stormer969 August 1, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have to say I've this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it has brought me out of both some wicked manias and depressive episodes. The sedation is a love-hate relationship with me- It's nice for my anxiety, but is also a nuisance. I MUST take this medicine 12 hours before I need to wake up, or I have trouble waking up. I feel it does interfere with my creative and intellectual abilities a tad bit. Overall, however, it's good med."

BipolarBear24 July 31, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have mainly been given this medication for insomnia, and for several years it worked incredibly to help me sleep every night, the withdrawals are rough when I don't have it, and my insomnia get's really bad as well. I think it helped my anxiety depression some too. All of a sudden at 200mg it stopped working! Was very bummed out, but luckily doctor has found a replacement."

5150Aries (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medicine has been just wonderful for me. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and an anxiety disorder. It really calms my racing thoughts and smooths me out. I have been on many different doses, all of the way up to 800 mg. I don't know why Dr's sometimes insist on overkill. Anyways, the magic dose for me is 200 mg at bedtime. It keeps me calmed down, and my anxiety stays in check all the next day. I have been taking it for three years and I don't get the brain fog or sleepiness effect anymore. I use 10 mg of Ambien to help me sleep. It does okay, but the combination doesn't "knock me out" like it does some people. Overall, Seroquel is great for me, but it is very rough on others. it is worth a try at least."

DonAllen1973 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I first took Seroquel about five years ago. I liked it because it didn't have the same side effects, such as feeling extremely anxious, as other anti psychotic medications have. The problem that I had with it was that it gave me a huge appetite. The medication alone caused me to gain weight. Needless to say I no longer take it."

Pete0315 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Hello! I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features and I have been taking seroquel instant release for almost four years. Currently I take 300 mg in the morning and 600 mg at night. Seroquel has helped my depression like other but at the same time has kept my mania and psychotic episodes at bay. Don't know where I would be without this drug!"

glennbp1 July 24, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Haven't had problems with BPD for a while until a sudden flare up. Drugs been good for eradicating anxiety and paranoid thoughts which was it's prescribed purpose. I'm on 125 evening and 25 morning."

Diddy d July 20, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed once year ago with depression and associated generalized anxiety, I was prescribed initially sertraline and alprazolam, but the secondary effects of sertraline were too severe (nausea, vomit, diarrea), my psyc changed the sertraline to paroxetine, and again I didn't tolerated it. Finally a was prescribed venlafaxine which helped me with my depression symptoms, but I was too anxious, and irritable. Finally I was diagnosed with type 2 bipolar disorder and quetiapine was prescribed. Initially I was taking 25 mgs before going to sleep, which helped with sleep, but I was anxious and irritable, quetiapine dose was increased, and at this moment I taking 100 mgs before going to bed. This medication really helped, I'm not anxious or depressed."

RgB21 July 19, 2017

For Insomnia: "For those who has been having anemia or low blood pressure problem (esp ladies), Quetiapine lowered blood pressure and blood sugar level and that causes me feel light-headed, dizziness, fainting spell and developed slight vertigo. Check your blood pressure and discuss with your doctor before taking Quetiapine. I've stopped taking it for more than 1 week and my symptoms of dizziness and fainting spells slowly subsided."

Geok57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Great med, weight gain yes 50 lbs over 8 months started working out at the gym and watching what I eat and feeling good and hopeful for the future down 30 lbs does feel little of loss motivation at 500mg trying to lower dose to 300mg update later"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

For Schizophrenia: "Sometimes I feel a bit paralysed from this. But it works like its supposed to do."

Blatts (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2017

For Depression: "First of all, for all the people writing reviews that haven't been on this drug for AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS your reviews are almost invalid, this drug is as two-faced as many make it out to be and for those people they just aren't giving it enough time to see both sides of it. I have been on and off Seroquel for a few years now and currently taking 150mg at night for the past 3 months. It helped with anxiety and sleep which was great! I was less intimidated and anxious at school and with friends. However, it seriously affected my mood, constantly shifting from agitated to blunted, my concentration, my dreams, weight and eventually, over the course of about six weeks, caused one of the most serious relapses in my depression in years. Be careful!"

Someguywithdepressionduh (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2017