User Reviews for Quetiapine (Page 12)

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder

Major Depressive Disorder
5.6

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 7.3 1,115 reviews

Reviews for Quetiapine

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Seroquel XR definitely helped me with my moods and rapid cycling. But.... gave it away because I was forever hungry. I lost all internal compass on whether or not I required food. Which is scary for me because I've always been normal weight and relied upon internal hunger cues to direct my eating. These cues were lost on seroquel. I wanted to eat all the time! I put myself on a strict diet yet the weight still kept creeping on. In my opinion, seroquel lowers the metabolism. Such that you'd have to restrict your calorie intake quite seriously. I'm going to try Latuda instead as it's a "weight neutral" preparation."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: "I have only been on Seroquel XR for about a week at 50mg. My doctor prescribed it as an adjunct to Remeron to treat anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia. I also take gabapentin, atenolol, and Xanax. When the Seroquel XR works, it WORKS. I can feel it sedating me two hours after I take it. I've been sleeping eight and nine hours a night, which has not happened in a very, very long time. It's effective at neutralizing both anxiety and depression. BUT... it doesn't last 24 hours for me; it only lasts about 15. Once it wears off my anxiety and depression return with a vengeance. Makes for a very rough 8 or 9 hours until I can take it again."

This is Kris (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I cannot rate seroquel highly enough. I was a mess with constant anxiety that just would not stop. I had tried so many things and seroquel literally changed my life. I take 400 xr and don't really have any side effects, but even if I did I would put up with anything to be rid of the anxiety. I don't know how I managed to get through life before I started taking seroquel"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Worked on the symptoms for the most part, felt a lot calmer but sometimes almost brain dead which made University work very difficult. Put me to sleep like a baby though, only problem was, like respiridone, getting up in the morning was extremely hard even if I took it at like 8pm. Side effects were unbearable. I gained over a stone (and I'm only 5 ft 2) in the space of 3-4 months when only on 25mg (bi-daily) despite watching what I ate! I always felt like I was sweaty even in the winter and after climbing 2 flights of stairs and I kept feeling my heart skip a beat. Also worth mentioning, alcohol is a no go, I could only have 1 or 2 drinks before feeling completely out of it. Bottom line: Works but not worth it in my opinion!"

coxysmelons (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "It didn't work and made me gain 70+ pounds. Conning off was AWFUL!"

TamaraJKelley (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This is the only medication I've taken so far for insomnia that has worked consistently. I take 25 mg a night (or sometimes I just take half a pill - 12.5 mg, bc it's so sedating) and about 30-60 minutes later, I'm asleep. I'm a chronic insomniac with bipolar 1 so this medication really keeps me stable by making me sleep. I do feel a little groggy in the morning though and this mes makes me want to eat everything in sight! I've heard it's prescribed off label to anorexics to make them eat! If you go straight to sleep after taking it and don't get up and eat everything, it's possible not to gain weight at a low dose."

Lucy Clare (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I love Seroquel. I do. I've been on as much as 200 mg/day for the the last 8 months and now am currently hoping 75-100 mg/day will prove as effective as 200 at eliminating bipolar depression. I've honestly never been happier or more stable in my memorable life and I'm 34. The sleep is fantastic, anxiety an issue of the past and I just have such a high but stable mood. As for the reviewers promising this drug will not cause you to gain unless you increase your food consumption: Don't believe it! Research it! You might be lucky but this drug does NOT only increase appetite--it can decrease some core metabolic functions. Many people have to really restrict calories & up exercise just to maintain pre-Seroquel weight!"

Gemi777 July 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am going to agree with the last comment, however I find it hard to eat/keep on weight after major surgery & cancer- so the weight gain is GREAT for me, personally. I used to mainly use marijuana to help me eat (and to help calm me down), but smoking it is terrible for my lungs (I already have COPD from smoking marijuana for 15 years) This helps me get to sleep, seems to "even-out" my moods, but I can't take it during the day for anxiety because it messes me up too much. I use clonazepam (successfully) during the day, when needed. At first I didn't want to take seroquel, but it is definitely worth a try!! Better than every other "nightmarish" antidepressant I have ever tried!!"

Worth*a*Try (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Pros: Zapped my depression, cured my insomnia and keeps my mood calm and steady. Cons: Weight gain, still need Valium for anxiety."

shotsInWashington July 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: " please tell the ones who is suffering from anxiety to use lavender chamomile spray by air wick. it gives immediate relief , doctors not letting know patients about this. please spread the word!!. Please keep this post here."

AnnaPurnA4 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I've yet to find a sleep aid that works as well as quetiapine. I've begged my Dr for 5 years to help me sleep and we've tried many other prescriptions. Others had bad side effects or didn't work. Enter seroquel, and hallelujah. It not only works, but it has no bad side effects for me. I did have to go from 25 to 50 mg per day but I sleep like a baby. No grogginess in the morning, no weight gain, no bad things period. I've been taking it for 14 months. If I don't have it, there's no withdrawal, but I don't sleep as well. I think it also is a nice adjunct to the Zoloft I take for depression and anxiety (100 mg). Overall it's the drug I'm most thankful for."

Tj360 July 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "You guys seriously need to stop making people anxious about the weight gain. If you don't eat you WON'T get fat. I've been on seroquel since one and a half month and had no side effects except at first a little. When i started taking it i was checking every inch of my body on a daily basis, acting so paranoid cause of your reviews, thinking that it has some kind of a magic spell in getting people fat. I workout almost every day since I have an Endomorph kind of a body which is the worse kind. (Bad metabolism, hard to lose weight and maintaining it..). Been taking it cause i was having some very minor panic attacks, due to some stressful past events I experienced, which were preventing me from sleep All night. I take 12.5mg most of the time."

R.A.1 July 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been using seroquel 25mg 4 times per day as needed since September of 2001 and it is still very effective with both my anxiety and depression. I did gain about 10 pounds using it, but I am still well within my BMI range and am physically active and can control my appetite. This med is possibly the best one that has ever been prescribed to help both my anxiety and long history of depression. My one important concern is that my white blood count is slightly lower than it should be and has been lower for 6 years now. I'm hoping my white blood count does not drop lower and stays where it is."

Kat298 July 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Well had many changes or should I say increases in medication as I seem to only get 12 months benefit then medication becomes less and less effective. Regarding quetiapine I was on 60mg a day. 9 months ago I started to become ill again. I became suicidal. so saw my psychiatrist. He said the current thinking was 600 to 800 mg of quetiapine. was the effective dose to take for bipolar. So now I am on 600mg every evening. I am back to being well and have been for many months The only side is effect is relaxing of muscles, talking like a drunk.So to take it early evening,and go to bed once I start feeling drowsy,"

Andy Bipolar disorder (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "when I was first put on this medication in the emergency room, I was coming off heroin and my mood swings was horrific, and my anxiety was off the charts, they put me on 200 mg. immediately and was to take it 3 times a day. I was diagnosed as bipolar, ptsd severe anxiety disorder, hearing voices to kill myself, sleep disorder, among a few others. I have loved this medicine since day one almost 4 years ago. I have ended up 150 lbs. over weight, and diabetic. however one may see this, I call this my miracle pill. I wish I had been put on it as a teenager. I have told my psych don't ever try to take this away from me, I get paranoid at thinking about it. I may be fat and diabetic, but I have a good life and great family."

lisa022 July 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "First of all, let me start by saying that I hear that this is an expensive drug because of how new it is. Luckily for me (perhaps, lol), my insurance considera me catastrophic due to my checkered past, and pays the entire price because they want me to take this medication and stfu lol. Since taking Seroquel XR, my life has improved so much, and I really have never felt more stable in my life. I've tried anticonvulsants and other antipsychotics and they have not worked for me. This medication really does, to my surprise! The only downfall is that I've gained 10 pounds taking it, but any antipsychotic will do that. Strongly recommend Seroquel XR!"

JoeyBBY92 July 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication was a life saver after being admitted in the hospital for being manic an very agaitated was titrated from 50mg to 250mg a day in it has cured my agitation 75% of my mood 50% of my deppression since most antidepressants make me manic I would recommend to anyone who has tried multiple medicines I can finally sleep feel relaxed in not stay angry for hours."

bipolardude July 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I take 25mg in the morning and at night it really helps the anxiety slowy but surely I'm coping alot better"

Shan D (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "One 50mg dose, given to help me sleep in hospital, kept me up & walking the halls for 23 hours. Could not stand or sit still. Legs very restless. Now dr prescribe seroquel again, because the 0.5 mg. bid of Klonopin does not help with panic attacks. Do I try this med, since last time was like being on speed, or just get used to being a hermit?"

Melsnuthouse July 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Weight gain"

Lilurobs_9213 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "I've been prescribed seraquel now for roughly a year and the side effects are soooooo nasty I wouldn't recommend it at all,the main thing that attacks me relentlessly is the tickles under the skin in the legs and I'm probably keeping the neighbors awake cos Iv gotta keep stretching my legs and wriggling in bed to calm down the relentless torment that comes back maybe every 5/10 seconds for roughly 5/8hrs most nights,I've also got to the point where it feels like I'm going to swallow my tongue for hours on end and I wander if I'm gonna be alive the next day as well,I get to the point where I'm nearly asleep and self resuscitate with a jolt of adrenaline in my heart and a deep breath like I nearly drowned and nearly have a heart attack,it's NASTY"

SmokeyO123456789 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "It is working for me; I can fall sleep, the good thing is I did not gain pounds because of it. I am grateful for this medication, I suffer insomnia for many years, and quetiapine is helping me."

Vivbigras July 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am a 42 yr. old woman with ADHD along with Bipolar Depression also coming off 8 yrs. of taking pain medications every day ( norco's as well as Percocet's) I was getting between both 300 a month.. I've been off the pain meds for 4 mth now so far so good.. But after the fog cleared from the pain meds all my other diagnoses come out full blast,. So I was taking a 2mg Xanax, 350mg soma, along with 300mg trazadone at night and still couldn't sleep. Thanks to my new doctor I'm on 1mg Xanax along with 100mg Seroquel at night and within a hour I'm asleep and I mean good sleep (no dreams getting up thru the night etc.,) so fingers crossed it stays that's way!!!"

PMA74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "How to be a zombie 101... Quetiapine use for anxiety should not be allowed IMO."

Myrce (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "It will knock you out unlike any other medication out there but it will also make you gain a ton of weight."

EdSheeran (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2016